this will test those chimney pipes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markbuilt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
this will test those chimney pipes today was a nice cool -46 last nite and the high for the day is to be -24 to to -28 , whats a couple of degrees eh ? this as been some year like the old winter of 1970 tons of snow ( just because I wanted to clean up the back corner of the property wind fall from 3 years ago ( cost me a new roof on the house but thats another story) must have a 1/4 0f an acre of red pines and birch laying on the ground )anyways guess will just have to enjoy the day throwing wood in the furnace and watching that car auction on the speed channel

Someday I wanna be in weather like that just to experience what it's like :popcorn:

I'm pretty warm blooded and am usually very comfortable in the 0-20s range. Never been any colder though... :(

'sposed to get below O here the next couple evenings and last night the weather chic had that look like a nuclear bomb had been dropped somewhere and bla bla bla, I turned the 'tube off, went out and put a couple arm loads in the OWB and went to sleep. Hope she rested well too.

My coldest days.

I have been in -20 before and it was a misserable hunting trip. I can't imagen -46 :jawdrop:

A while back it was -22 here. It was cold enough that when walking through it, the breeze from moving forward just went through you. I went to help my BIL put blankets on his horses since he was worried about them. My wife went out with me. It took us a while to get to them and to get the blankets on. By the time we got back inside, my wife was almost frozen. She just shook and shivered for what seemed like 30 minutes. What fun. And the next morning, all of the blankets were either on the ground or ready to fall off of them. I say next time, they can fend for themselves.
I don't think that i will ever forget that experience.

this will test those chimney pipes today was a nice cool -46 last nite and the high for the day is to be -24 to to -28 , whats a couple of degrees eh ? this as been some year like the old winter of 1970 tons of snow ( just because I wanted to clean up the back corner of the property wind fall from 3 years ago ( cost me a new roof on the house but thats another story) must have a 1/4 0f an acre of red pines and birch laying on the ground )anyways guess will just have to enjoy the day throwing wood in the furnace and watching that car auction on the speed channel

Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius

We are just now getting caught in the leading edge of the cold snap, mighty cold and windy today. The lowest I have witnessed in my area of Maine is 30 below.

Oh yeah Baby, It's heading our way alright! They say Friday will be the coldest day of this winter thus far. Funny that last night it stayed in the higher 20's and my furnace never came on at all. I was up at 5am and lighting the cookstove. I had too crank the therm a couple degrees too make sure there was nothing wrong. Gonna be a different story tonight as we're too drop a good 30 degrees during the day and over night. My solution? See Pix below. Pegged at almost 600 degrees,(biscuits!) and I'll keep it that way all day for a good head start! :cheers:
attachment.php

Last edited:
Someday I wanna be in weather like that just to experience what it's like :popcorn:

I'm pretty warm blooded and am usually very comfortable in the 0-20s range. Never been any colder though... :(

Nuzzy,

In years past, we have gotten down into the -20's around here.
If the Lake freezes over, stand by. You'll get your wish.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The one temp that is the same in Fahrenheit or Celsius is -40. At -46 it really doesn't matter cause that is darn cold :jawdrop:

LOL!!!

I was at USMC Cold weather training back in the day, and one of my Marines asked "How cold is it" and one of the instructors replied "It's warmed up this afternoon, -30's." The Marine from Florida replied, ":censored: ,I thought I was getting used to this :censored: " LOL!!!

At a certain point, it just don't matter. It's just friggin COLD!:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

About 15 years ago it got down to -52°f without the wind chill, nobody's car would start the roads were deserted, it was kind of spooky. We made it on national tv as the coldest spot in the nation, that was the coldest day I can ever remember. But seriously when it gets below about -25° you really can't tell the difference it hurts to breath.

But seriously when it gets below about -25° you really can't tell the difference it hurts to breath.

0º I'm fine, seems like my pain point is -10º.

Few years back we had an extended cold spell with nearly nightly auto accidents with the fire company...I kept getting assigned patient care, which meant taking off my helmet to fit in the car. I actually started dreading it because it hurt like hell when I'd expose my head to the cold. Never mind having to replace insulated leather gloves with rubber ones...fingers would be numb in the 5 minutes or so it took us to get the patient packaged and out of the car.

Supposed to be around 0º overnight here next few days. Brought in a nice load of wood inside today. Windchills Friday though around -25º last I looked.

The one temp that is the same in Fahrenheit or Celsius is -40. At -46 it really doesn't matter cause that is darn cold :jawdrop:

I heard something interesting. Stand outside when it's -46 F with a shot glass full of tap water. Hold the glass tight and toss the water in it, up high and into the air.

If the wind is blowing at a measly 10 mph or more, most will bounce when it hits the ground as ice crystals, frozen solid on the way down.
Gasp! :dizzy:

My freshman year at Ferris I remember walking across campus this time of year for an 8am class and it was -25. Was kinda nice having the steam heat in the dorms, until it got above 40, then it was like a sauna. A few years later I was at my friends place in Ashton, MI and it was -33 and his pump house heater quit and the well head froze, what a mess!

See that you guys taught me something new yesterday I did not know that about temperature conversion. When I first looked it up using a program I have called convert I thought something was wrong how could -46 F be almost the same in C. That is weird how that works. Dad always said it isn't a good day unless you have learned something in the course of it......

Back