thought you guys might enjoy this...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willt1981

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
here's some pictures of a locust i got hung in another locust on a new pasture I'm clearing. the tree that its hung in is right on the fence line. the way i dealt with it was by hooking the winch to the tree that's hung, tightened the cable up, notched and back cut the tree it was hung in until it would almost go, and then pulled with the winch. came right down and didn't destroy the fence. the steepness of the slope made everything a little hairy. the tree that is hung up is about 14" in diameter and the one that its hung in was about 26" in diameter - you can see the metal t-posts beside it for size comparison.

It sure looks easy to buck hanging like that! Seriously though, that would be scary to work under, good job on diffusing the situation without injury.
:cheers:

That looks exactly like the one I had to cut out in a lot I cleared! Was told it had been up in the air for at least 10 years. I was very surprised how much moisture it still had. (Hissing and spitting in the fire, no meter reading.)

I'm kind of chuckling since my wood is in a fairly dense forest ( my own ) and I rarely get one ( one in 30 ? ) that actually falls to the ground. I end up cutting them up a couple feet then the tree kicks back and falls against another tree standing perfectly straight up again and the process continues until the trees about 10 ft, then it falls. Since I'm not 50 anymore this is a bit more work than I'd like. The plus side is that I'm thinning it out for someone else in the future..
This is why I have a 14 inch saw instead of a big one. Lifting it shoulder high all day gets old quickly.

:cheers:

i've had to cut some areas where it seemed you couldnt get a tree to fall. couldnt stand it. sometimes you cut one and the ten in it come down. seems a lot more dangerous too. heres the only picture i could find on the computer of my tractor with the winch on it - my pulling machine. youll have to excuse the guy driving it screwing the pic up (me). its amazing what this tractor will pull, espically when you lift up the winch with logs hooked up and the weight is put on the rear end. we had a kubota about the same horsepower for a few years and this one pulls about double what it would.

we were looking at NH before we bought a deere. actually the guy who turned us on to tractor logging had an 80hp NH. we ended up with the deere because of financing and the fact it was all sheet metal. its only a 40hp but gets the job done. cool pics!

we were looking at NH before we bought a deere. actually the guy who turned us on to tractor logging had an 80hp NH. we ended up with the deere because of financing and the fact it was all sheet metal. its only a 40hp but gets the job done. cool pics!

horsepower seems to mean less than weight. the New Hollands from the TN60-TN75 are all built on the same chassis. the only difference is the HP (and hydraulics id imagine). I dont run any equip that needs high HP's so i went with the lowest hp, also happened to be cheaper.

you probly save on fuel too. ive noticed the weght issue. my little tractor has enough power to spin the wheels because it doenst weigh enough to have the grip. i guess thats what tire chains are for.

Latest posts

Back