Thought you heard it all, so did I, not so

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that guy ya talking about Space. I went in there yesterday with 6 chains to be sharpened. He was sitting back in his recliner with his feet proped up. I asked can I get these chains done. He turned down his radio and looked at me and said can't ya see I'm busy, go buy some new ones. I was mad. Then while I was standing there this lil blond came in with 6 chains and she asked him if he could do them right now. He jumped up out that recliner and yes indeedy, then he looked and me and said you still here. I tell ya that guy is prick. I bought 6 new chains and left,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I didn't know Demi was a blonde - and who cares about them anyway? :msp_biggrin:

My buddie's dad owns a dealership around here...said they finally got the computer $1600! guess what if the computer doesn't say anything and the saw is still not right it has to be shipped to husky...no on site if the computer says nothing. sorta a liability for downtime if your in production and need a saw.

uh, the dealers that have the equipment, and the training that goes with it are not having problems. It's not nearly the issue that some people would like it to be.

Btw, it would be interesting to speak to that "saw tech", that "lost" the clutch when working on the saw, and didn't notise something was missing when he put it back together?

Bottom line, this just can't happen.....

The manager at my sister rental store tells me he does mechanics work on the side. I ask him what he does. He says he cleans carburetors on small engines, primarily snow blowers for his customers. I ask how he does it, he shows me a gallon paint size pail of gunk carb cleaner and tells me he soaks the carbs in them. I just had to ask and got the answer I suspected, no dissassembly needed... :dizzy: No gasket kits, nothing. I wonder how well the machines run when he's done with them.:laugh:

Last edited:
The old dealer was going out of buis. So I asked the new dealer if they would give me the same price on parts as the old dealer was. usual price was 15% off of list. And I buy about $5000. worth of an unmentioned part each year. They agree.

So I order several of the said items, go in to pick em up. Get into a long drawn out conversation about "if I really need this many parts, why don't I go and buy my own dealership." And the parts were marked up 35% beyond list.

This is the same guy who gives estimates on 660's for engine rebuilds that exceed the price of a new saw with a new bar! Also the same guy who takes 20 minutes to look up the right part number for an 18" chain and sells it for $28.00.

I am certain there are many more of these story's to come. This dealer is a damned liar and a thief.

I know that guy ya talking about Space. I went in there yesterday with 6 chains to be sharpened. He was sitting back in his recliner with his feet proped up. I asked can I get these chains done. He turned down his radio and looked at me and said can't ya see I'm busy, go buy some new ones. I was mad. Then while I was standing there this lil blond came in with 6 chains and she asked him if he could do them right now. He jumped up out that recliner and yes indeedy, then he looked and me and said you still here. I tell ya that guy is prick. I bought 6 new chains and left,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I would not have bought anything and followed the blonde out.:popcorn:

These dealers pull all this and then cry that the internet is hurting them!:censored:

Guess your blond wig wasn't good enough, huh. :msp_biggrin:

The old dealer was going out of buis. So I asked the new dealer if they would give me the same price on parts as the old dealer was. usual price was 15% off of list. And I buy about $5000. worth of an unmentioned part each year. They agree.

So I order several of the said items, go in to pick em up. Get into a long drawn out conversation about "if I really need this many parts, why don't I go and buy my own dealership." And the parts were marked up 35% beyond list.

This is the same guy who gives estimates on 660's for engine rebuilds that exceed the price of a new saw with a new bar! Also the same guy who takes 20 minutes to look up the right part number for an 18" chain and sells it for $28.00.

I am certain there are many more of these story's to come. This dealer is a damned liar and a thief.

Little reality check for ya there Scott: It is often less expensive for a customer to buy a new saw. Lets say a guys 660 lunches a rod bearing. New crank = $300. The bearings migrate into the top end and trash it. Another $330. You shouldn't re-use crank bearings, so add another $75+ in bearings, and $35 or so for gasket & seal kit. We're already at $740 and that does not include any labor or rubber bits like intake, impulse, and fuel line (which should also be replaced.) We charge $65/hr at the shop and there would be at least 3 hours in rebuilding that saw. So there is $935 into rebuilding that saw. That is considering a used ignition, clutch, bar, chain, plastic, carb, muffler, etc. and no other items found to be wrong while we were in there. Even on an $1100 saw, it is quite easy to rack the bill up close or over the cost of a new machine. No thievery here, just the facts.

It is unfortunate you lost your hookup on cheap OEM mufflers. I suspect that many of the folks interested in your products will not care if they are aftermarket ones.

Little reality check for ya there Scott: It is often less expensive for a customer to buy a new saw. Lets say a guys 660 lunches a rod bearing. New crank = $300. The bearings migrate into the top end and trash it. Another $330. You shouldn't re-use crank bearings, so add another $75+ in bearings, and $35 or so for gasket & seal kit. We're already at $740 and that does not include any labor or rubber bits like intake, impulse, and fuel line (which should also be replaced.) We charge $65/hr at the shop and there would be at least 3 hours in rebuilding that saw. So there is $935 into rebuilding that saw. That is considering a used ignition, clutch, bar, chain, plastic, carb, muffler, etc. and no other items found to be wrong while we were in there. Even on an $1100 saw, it is quite easy to rack the bill up close or over the cost of a new machine. No thievery here, just the facts.

It is unfortunate you lost your hookup on cheap OEM mufflers. I suspect that many of the folks interested in your products will not care if they are aftermarket ones.

There is no problem on supply. And trust me, I was warned about the guy before I tried to set up the deal. My rule, no matter what always give the benefit of the doubt when hearing such stories. It was confirmed in 20 minutes of transactions with the guy.

Yes, of course things can get out of hand on a saw. but two other dealers a stones throw away from this dealer have consistently rebuilt saws much less than this "new competition."

And You know who I am...out of respect to their employees and the local economy I am not giving the guys name. you also sell 18 inch chains for $28?

We do not charge that for pre-made loops of Stihl chain. We are also an Oregon dealer, and we stock Oregon chain by the spool. The owner charges pretty close to retail on Oregon. If we had to spin up a custom length 18" loop for an older saw, it might just be $28. I made up a loop for a guy with a 272xp bow saw the other weekend. It was not cheap, but he was glad to have it same day and installed for free. I know the chain was a good bit over $30. After I got done installing it, he said "why don't you just spin me up another loop for next time." He was probably close to $80 out the door for two chains and tax. Is that alot? Yes. Some folks will pay just to get good service and a friendly atmosphere. Lowest price is not always everything. If he can get $28 for 18" loops, good on him. If the market will not bear it, he'll implode soon enough. I wonder if his techs are any good? Have you heard anything about his work other than the price?

Tommy I'd say the rental place never heard of the Stihl Engine checklist.lol

We had a guy bring in a Camo Poulan 2075 on Saturday, hasn't run in two years, he wants it like new, I proceed to tell him that it going to take 60-65.00 to put new fuel lines on and go thru the carb, prolly will need a new plug at 2.99 and then we always put a new fuel filter on after going thru the fuel system at 4.99. He then tells me that he needs a new 18" bar and chain. I say, your going to have a 110-115.00 in this saw, you can go buy you a new one for 149.00, he says get her fixed I like the Real Tree camo on the saw, can't find another one like it.
I'm thinking holy cow, I did come up with a like new used bar and chain, he wound up paying 108.00 because he liked camo.
The clutch thing takes the cake, I've had several come in saying their saw is locked up, and you take and reset the chain brake and it solves the issue, the look on their face is priceless.

We do not charge that for pre-made loops of Stihl chain. We are also an Oregon dealer, and we stock Oregon chain by the spool. The owner charges pretty close to retail on Oregon. If we had to spin up a custom length 18" loop for an older saw, it might just be $28. I made up a loop for a guy with a 272xp bow saw the other weekend. It was not cheap, but he was glad to have it same day and installed for free. I know the chain was a good bit over $30. After I got done installing it, he said "why don't you just spin me up another loop for next time." He was probably close to $80 out the door for two chains and tax. Is that alot? Yes. Some folks will pay just to get good service and a friendly atmosphere. Lowest price is not always everything. If he can get $28 for 18" loops, good on him. If the market will not bear it, he'll implode soon enough. I wonder if his techs are any good? Have you heard anything about his work other than the price?

Honestly. He has a very bad reputation. And I would love to relish in the fact that I proved everyone wrong who ever spoke ill of the dealership. But his reputation is reality.

We are in a pretty heavy commercial logging and service based area. All the guys who know what they are doing avoid the place like the plague. His prices and his work are very well known to the area. He gets the same type of people who buy their saws from the big box stores.

Honestly. He has a very bad reputation. And I would love to relish in the fact that I proved everyone wrong who ever spoke ill of the dealership. But his reputation is reality.

We are in a pretty heavy commercial logging and service based area. All the guys who know what they are doing avoid the place like the plague. His prices and his work are very well known to the area. He gets the same type of people who buy their saws from the big box stores.

Sounds like they have found their niche. PT Barnum said there was a sucker born every 10 minutes... I found this web site because of poor dealer support.

Other than the Stihl dealer not wanting to cut a .404 chain to fit a buddys 660 McCulloch because they do not have time to work on old saws, here is the kicker, they charge $1.10 a driver for .404, I told him to go to the Echo dealer, he has a few loops of .404 and will make any size chain for .25 cents a driver. I can't top a missing clutch.

Had the same thing happen about 5 years ago. The counter guy said Stihl chain won't work on those old Macs.I asked what are tose rolls of Oregon and Carlton chain on that shelf. He says thats all Stihl chain.

My Stihl dealer doesn't charge me anything to make special chain lengths of the spool. And I like him too!

I went to my local Radio-shack looking for a fuse for my microwave, The guy told me i needed to go to an Electronics store..... This particular store also repaires appliances. I just looked at him with nothing to say!

Just so everyone knows, I know about the dealership he is talking about. Basically, this Stihl dealership is more inline with a normal Stihl dealership. MSRP and focused on homeowners more than commercial consumers. Is there anything wrong with that? No, they can run it like they want.

Scott's gripe and many others around this area is how it varies so drastically from the old dealer. They were focused on the professionals, tried to keep consumables priced low and would work on equipment for a lower shop rate. In the the end, they couldn't make that plan work. Who's fault was it; the owners not being able to run it successfully or the customers not being loyal/supportive?

Brake?

As far as the original post goes I waded through 4 pages for the punchline that the chain brake was on!:yoyo: Guess not

Back