Thoughts About Having The Husky Closed Port 55 Piston Reproduced....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this may have killed off a little too fast. You COULD also use a 55CP piston in a 51 open port cylinder. I have used windowed pistons in open port jugs before, and been very satisfied with the results. There are SCADS of 51s out there, and that opens up additional markets. It would be really nice if they'd make it about .015 " taller and just include a thick gasket for those who dont measure squish.

If you know someone who wants to make some pistons, lets start with Red 750, 8800, and 540 pistons. Then Green 5200/8500, and Yellow 850 ones. How about some Orange 041 Super, 056 MAG, and 2100 thin ring while we're at it, and I'm just getting started....

I think this may have killed off a little too fast. You COULD also use a 55CP piston in a 51 open port cylinder. I have used windowed pistons in open port jugs before, and been very satisfied with the results. There are SCADS of 51s out there, and that opens up additional markets. It would be really nice if they'd make it about .015 " taller and just include a thick gasket for those who dont measure squish.

If you know someone who wants to make some pistons, lets start with Red 750, 8800, and 540 pistons. Then Green 5200/8500, and Yellow 850 ones. How about some Orange 041 Super, 056 MAG, and 2100 thin ring while we're at it, and I'm just getting started....

I'll help you along, 5200 pistons

Randy I sent you a message I thought a while back about the closed port cylinder I have you can have it and the piston. Need addy if you still want it.

I have no experience with the 55.....but Im surprised at the negative feedback towards any replacement part ! Go figure :)

Quite surprising really. I know of at least 8 CP 55's in my immediate area that would love to have a replacement piston, and there are others that I have passed on as well. That is just confirmed CP's I have seen up close.

A few of the problems with manufacturing a closed port 55 cylinder and/or piston are:
  • The 50/51/55 family hasn't been sold in the US for many years now.
  • They were a relatively inexpensive saw to begin with.
  • There are cheap-o open port 46mm AM cylinder/piston kits for $40 on fleabay.
The 55 was still being sold in 2010 in the US. I know its a new year but 4 years ain't a many. The 346 hasn't been sold in the US in how many years?
Inexpensive saw, yes but the most sold saw for about 28 years. There are thousands of them out there.
Some don't want a cheap kit and will gladly pay for a higher quality mid range kit, which may just have the possibility of being a closed port one.

I would have 10 on my shelf.

The 55 was still being sold in 2010 in the US. I know its a new year but 4 years ain't a many. The 346 hasn't been sold in the US in how many years?
Inexpensive saw, yes but the most sold saw for about 28 years. There are thousands of them out there.
Some don't want a cheap kit and will gladly pay for a higher quality mid range kit, which may just have the possibility of being a closed port one.

I would have 10 on my shelf.

To my knowledge, in our area, the 55 wasn't available long before 2010. The 346 was available new less than a year ago.

Thousands out there...agreed.

Some don't want a cheap kit...agreed. Most don't know the difference in closed port vs open port and only see dollar figures.

"I would have 10 on my shelf." ....depending on price I'm sure.

Look, I'm not saying that an aftermarket closed port 55 piston and/or cylinder would be a bad thing. If they were available, I'd be looking for a burned up 50,51,55 (or 10) myself...depending on price of the AM parts. It's just that there are cheap options out there for a saw that was inexpensive in the first place. It sounds like it would be too expensive to make an AM closed port 55 option viable.

Most people who have these saws couldn't tell the difference between the cylinders even if you showed them side by side

OK sadly I fall into this category. I have a 55, bought it new 14 years ago. How can I tell which I have.

To my knowledge, in our area, the 55 wasn't available long before 2010. The 346 was available new less than a year ago.

"I would have 10 on my shelf." ....depending on price I'm sure.

Look, I'm not saying that an aftermarket closed port 55 piston and/or cylinder would be a bad thing. If they were available, I'd be looking for a burned up 50,51,55 (or 10) myself...depending on price of the AM parts. It's just that there are cheap options out there for a saw that was inexpensive in the first place. It sounds like it would be too expensive to make an AM closed port 55 option viable.

Your dealer just didn't stock them. Circulation in the US ended mid 2010 and remaining stock was transferred to Canadian warehouses by Oct 2010.

The 346 ended in the US in 2012, then likewise with the 55, moved north the last of them.

Price point wise $120 is a non issue so long as it included the impulse hose and boot.

The biggest thing is the average person out there doesn't rebuild there saws. That is done by a certain select few. Those that do, do many saws.

Back