Thoughts on Bottom Chipper Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Streyken

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the bottom safety bars on chippers? In BC they were /are making this a requirement, but it is currently under review. I believe smaller chippers will be exempt, but that still leaves the majority of people stuck with a safety feature I have not heard a lot of good things about. I have not used a machine with this feature installed for any length of time and was wondering if it's really that bad.

I'ts the norm over in the UK and has been for some time.Like it or h8 it there is no choice. If they are set up properly and are of a decent design(not just thrown together for the sake of it) then they work "ok" and will probably save a few fingers(or toes):monkey:

I was at a eusa (hydro proficiency Course) a couple of mounts ago we had to chip what we cleared from the line and i keeped on hitting it every time i put my brush in the chipper, Just was not use to that being there it was like all most habit to come right up to the chipper table to put brush in. I can see it being a pain because a warning light came on then you had to push a button then put in the proper direction.

Lawmart
play safe

What are the regs. over there regarding exertion force. Here it is 150 Newtons or 34 lbs. There is also a paragraph stating "If the operator is caught by feed material and pulled toward the feed rollers, a body part will activate the panic bar without deliberate action by the worker." On a big machine I can't see how this is possible if you're feeding in 8" + mistletoe hemlock branches, how is it suppose to know the difference between large gnarly material or a person? I think WC is making changes to the regs. before full implementation. I'm getting a 6" machine, so apparently this won't effect me.

Lawmart, I've heard similar stories. I stand to the side and drag material onto the table, looks like one would have to lift the branches a bit more.

yea thats what i was told that i should be loading my brush from the side
But i posed a situation if you are chipping in to the road side, so you cant load from the right hand side for obvious reasons and you are on the road the have traffic on the left hand side , What do you do, I was told the lesser of two evils. Chip from the right hand side I Guess better getting hit with chips than by a cars.
I have all was chipped from center then to right hand side , since my auto feed does not work, and i have use the yoke lever lift. when there is big wood.

Lawmart

play safe

What are the regs. over there regarding exertion force. Here it is 150 Newtons or 34 lbs. There is also a paragraph stating "If the operator is caught by feed material and pulled toward the feed rollers, a body part will activate the panic bar without deliberate action by the worker." On a big machine I can't see how this is possible if you're feeding in 8" + mistletoe hemlock branches, how is it suppose to know the difference between large gnarly material or a person? I think WC is making changes to the regs. before full implementation. I'm getting a 6" machine, so apparently this won't effect me.

i have a copy of the regs i can mail you if you want its on a pdf file
the force we have should not exceed 150 newtons to activate the device

Thanks transporter, I would like to see the regs for comparison.

Make something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot, old but true saying.

I talked for hours (literally) with a few different Worksafe guys regarding this. One guy actually said that even though it the whole process was rushed and might not be the best solution that it was harder (more paper work and explaining) to go back to the drawing board. Yeah, especially since the some (if not more) inspectors have never even used a chipper and are just going through a check list! FACT!

I'll stop here before I say something I regret. As long as I can get a machine that's compliant and works, I don't care. Guys with no training and/or supervision are still going to get hurt.

I talked for hours (literally) with a few different Worksafe guys regarding this. One guy actually said that even though it the whole process was rushed and might not be the best solution that it was harder (more paper work and explaining) to go back to the drawing board. Yeah, especially since the some (if not more) inspectors have never even used a chipper and are just going through a check list! FACT!

I'll stop here before I say something I regret. As long as I can get a machine that's compliant and works, I don't care. Guys with no training and/or supervision are still going to get hurt.

This all came about after that guy in Richmond got sucked through a chipper. They are trying to stop evolution. I have told guys "use a push stick, don't put your hands there, don't kick it...." Some get it, they actually comprehend what total body fragmentation is, some don't. Those people should go work for the city of Van., or Surrey or whatever. The same kind that never look up. I'll stop before i say something I'll regret.

In a nutshell it is a PITA and a typical knee jerk reaction idea by some fool who doesn't do our job.

The need to continually hit those green buttons on the side of the Vermeer is frustrating ...

... I'd rather feed a chipper without it that's for sure.

I come from a company that understands the importance of working safely. I would guess when MOST accidents occur it is NOT the first time the act occured. The employees should be mentored until it can be proven that they can work by themselves in a safe manner. If the employee will not follow safety procedures they need to be released. In the long run these employees will cause more problems than they are worth. How much time and money will be spent on these employees taking them back and forth to the hospital and in insurance claims. This type of employees are the ones who cause the workmans comp to be elevated.

When you really look at accidents the real cost is not always the medical cost. You need to look at lost production, insurance, bad press, and the rest of the employees thinking that their company don't really care about them or their safety.

"We take time for Safety because we DON'T have time for ACCIDENTS"

I have got to say, I do not agree with the bottom bar being BS mate. Compare that safety mechanism with some of the others out in the market.

For example, the Bandit machine has 2 dangeling wire hanging down from the infeed chute, which when pulled will shut off the machine. When your feed chute is full of branches, and if you go in, there is NO WAY in hell you will find those wires in time to save your life. So I think the Vermeer solution is pretty good in comparison to others out there...

still boils down to the USER and the owner/supervisor. Some still delight in getting their hands 2" from the feed wheels, pushing in debris. When a person like me who is safety concious speaks up about it, we get told, its not a problem, nothing will happen. :dizzy: when i grabb a stick to push in the debris, they get pissed off with the few extra minutes I take and they reach in and shove the debris in, allpisse doff like.

No safety bar, wire, or table bar reverse system will prevent that.

Latest posts

Back