Thoughts on full-chisel and semi-chisel cutters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I can't have square ground chisel, I'll take semi chisel before round filed chisel.
Semi chisel can open a kerf a lot better than round filed chisel, in my experiences. I really do not like a chain that binds in a closing kerf or slides along when trying to bite into a missed face cut to open it up. Saves a lot of time at the end of the day. Especially with bucking. Screw wedges and all that, just ream it out!

So stay out of the sand .
Not always easy if I'm using wire rope to drag big logs out of the woods to cut them up along the road next to the truck to avoid having to hump eleventy-hundred biga$$ rounds through the woods manually...the sand gets all embedded in the bark, and I ain't got a pressure washer to clean them before cutting. (I use a wire brush and whisk broom to get off the worst of it, but there's more than enough left to dull a chain...)

YMMV

Not always easy if I'm using wire rope to drag big logs out of the woods to cut them up along the road next to the truck to avoid having to hump eleventy-hundred biga$$ rounds through the woods manually...the sand gets all embedded in the bark, and I ain't got a pressure washer to clean them before cutting.

YMMV
I brush the logs off with a brush if there is heavy sand on them, just where you make the cut.

Solo 656

I'm sure the full chisel will be faster once I tweak it a bit.

I haven 't been in the tree... (cough) "chainsaw" industry for decades yet, but I've yet to come across someone who can file a semi-chisel by hand better than the factory can grind a full chisel chain. I've never heard of this either. Unless you're hammering the rakers thinking that improves the sharpness of the top plate - I'm at a loss to what you're taking about.

That has not been my experience, though we have very sandy soil here. If I even touch the dirt with full chisel, it's pretty much hosed. The Stihl "green" (semi-chisel?) chains can deal with a lot more in that regard. And when the chains are sharp, I don't notice that much difference in cut speed between them, except maybe in green wood, where the full chisel really screams.
Most of my expiereance is in very sandy soil. Once you get into dirt either is dull. The only differance is semi allows you to dog in and gouge some wood out before it completely stops cutting, which of course is a stupid thing to do.

Im trying some 23RS-81 chisel for bucking, can I sharpen these with a round file like the stock low kickback chain?

Im trying some 23RS-81 chisel for bucking, can I sharpen these with a round file like the stock low kickback chain?
Yes, Just make sure you get the right file diameter for the chain. (Not sure what that is for .325" chain...maybe 3/16"?)

I haven 't been in the tree... (cough) "chainsaw" industry for decades yet, but I've yet to come across someone who can file a semi-chisel by hand better than the factory can grind a full chisel chain. I've never heard of this either. Unless you're hammering the rakers thinking that improves the sharpness of the top plate - I'm at a loss to what you're taking about.
Well I guess it has to be impossible then.
The rakers on my semi are set with the soft side on a husqvarna progressive guide and the cutters are filed with a goofy file.
Spent a day in the forest with the new full chisel today(even took a few swipes of the rakers) and my opinion hasn't changed.
But I bet I'll be happy after I give the full chisel a work over with the goofy file.

Well I guess it has to be impossible then.
The rakers on my semi are set with the soft side on a husqvarna progressive guide and the cutters are filed with a goofy file.
Spent a day in the forest with the new full chisel today(even took a few swipes of the rakers) and my opinion hasn't changed.
But I bet I'll be happy after I give the full chisel a work over with the goofy file.
Lets see some pics.
I can make semi chisel cut just a little bit slower (10-15%) than full chisel but can never make it as fast as full chisel that's sharpened well.
Back when I couldn't sharpen worth a dam I had better luck with semi chisel chain as it's more forgiving of bad angles or file heights.

Lets see some pics.
I can make semi chisel cut just a little bit slower (10-15%) than full chisel but can never make it as fast as full chisel that's sharpened well.
Back when I couldn't sharpen worth a dam I had better luck with semi chisel chain as it's more forgiving of bad angles or file heights.
Well I hope all of you appreciate this, we have some sh***y weather here.

The full chisel has been used for one tank in green spruce before filming and is untouched except for a couple of swipes on the rakers. And no, it hasn't touched dirt, we have two feet of snow here and it's performance didn't decline noticeably during that tank. The semi chisel has also been used for one tank in green spruce since the last sharpening. It's a bit grabby right now but that will sort itself out during the following sharpenings. It will still be faster. The rakers are actually a tad lower on the full chisel.
Once I goofy filed the full chisel it's the fastest. Also a bit grabby because, you know, I took down the rakers earlier.

You don't have to take my word for anything, it's all the same to me. Easiest thing is to try it for yourself.

I'm not really equipped to take such closeups with any clarity. But here's a try:
IMG_20230318_121215.jpg
File angles about the same as what is suggested with square filing. Place the "corner" of the file(where the round starts) about where the round on the semi chisel starts on the side plate, or slightly higher. If you go too high into the round of the semi chisel it will start to look funny. It will look almost normal from the outside when you get it right.

The point is to get a more aggressive cutting edge angle on the side plate and the rounded corner. Those cut end grain all day and need to be acute. On round filed those cutting angles are about 60° which is about as blunt as an ice skate.

And to avoid misunderstanding, "goofy file" to me means a flat file with a rounded edge.

Latest posts

Back