Thoughts on milling saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10.5K on the 880...wouldn't have thought that considering so close to the max, but makes sense consider more chain speed, not just brute power.......

just out of curiosity, what's the time difference over there Bobl, it's 2.10 am over here...?
jordan

nice one brmorgan.
guess the same goes for hooters too???

10.5K on the 880...wouldn't have thought that considering so close to the max, but makes sense consider more chain speed, not just brute power.......
Yeah it surprised me as well. It's also probably closer to 10 than 10.5. Don't forget this is a slightly modded saw with the exhaust opened up by 85% minus some back pressure restriction since it has a short 8 x 3/4" pipe added to it.

just out of curiosity, what's the time difference over there Bobl, it's 2.10 am over here...?

Were 10 hours ahead of Texan time. . . or behind but tomorrow!
2:10 am will be 12:10 pm
It's wierder when your clock reads 8 pm in the evening here it is 6 am tomorrow!

Last edited:
hey bob sorry to but in to the thread just want to ask you what size bar and chain did you use for milling with your 076 .
got mine in the mail today and keen to get all the other bits i need to go with it

hey bob sorry to but in to the thread just want to ask you what size bar and chain did you use for milling with your 076 .
got mine in the mail today and keen to get all the other bits i need to go with it

I have the following bars for the 076/880 (all 0.063)
1) - 30" Oregon, hard nose,
2) - 30" Stihl, hard nose,
3) - 30" GB, hard nose,
4) - 42' GB hard nose,
5) - 42" GB 3/8 sprocket nose
6) - 44" GB hard nose
7) - 60" GB roller nose
8) - 60" Stihl 404 sprocket nose

I have used them all on my mills except the 44" and the 30" Stihl
I have used the 42" hardnose the most, followed by the 42" sprocket nose follwed by the 60" roller.

Sorry for complicated answer.

Yeah it surprised me as well. It's also probably closer to 10 than 10.5.

this has me thinking - the stats say max power is at 8500. Why would you not run it at that?
Also, the 070, 090 and 076 max is at 7000 - surely running these two at max power RPMs would bring their cutting speed closer assuming they're not bogging?

this has me thinking - the stats say max power is at 8500. Why would you not run it at that?
Also, the 070, 090 and 076 max is at 7000 - surely running these two at max power RPMs would bring their cutting speed closer assuming they're not bogging?

Exactly! This is what is confusing. There are these "max power @XXXX rpm" statements but they don't really seem to mean much or be accurate. (Or maybe they are?) So is the only solution testing for your individual situation or is there a way by looking at torque/hp curves you can at least find a starting point to dial the saw in? Also what does max power really mean? :dizzy:

As I said earlier, I may be overthinking this.

Scott

Exactly! This is what is confusing. There are these "max power @XXXX rpm" statements but they don't really seem to mean much or be accurate. (Or maybe they are?) So is the only solution testing for your individual situation or is there a way by looking at torque/hp curves you can at least find a starting point to dial the saw in? Also what does max power really mean? :dizzy:

Scott

Get out and make some sawdust and feel it. Don't get stuck in "Analysis Paralysis"

Scott

Max power @XXXX rpm is an indication of the ability of an engine to do work. Even after factory tuning this figure will not necessarily be the same for any two saws to begin and can even be different today compared to yesterday for the same saw. There are also a lot of variables after the engine. If the engine is subsequently geared too tall (that's the same as using a long a bar, or a big sprocket or an aggressive a chain, or cutting hard wood) it will never be able to reach those RPMs to deliver that power. If it is geared too low it will be doing a lot of work but you won't be getting anywhere.

Yep I definitely think we're over analysing. If you revisit Lakeside's posts you will see he constantly reminds us to tune to timed cuts.

Get out and make some sawdust and feel it. Don't get stuck in "Analysis Paralysis"

LMAO. At 6:00 pm today it was a 101 degrees F here. Almost that hot Saturday. I made the 395 sweat Saturday. Cut up a nice cherry log 30 inches in diameter and 8 feet long. When I got done there wasn't a dry piece of clothing on me anywhere. That cold Miller sure tasted good Saturday night. Seriously tho, if I'm going to pull the trigger on buying a bigger saw I want my logic to be right.

Scott

I have been a lurker for a long while and got some good info. I don't have a digital camera, big reason is most of the ones they sell are for hands of a baby and 35 mm cameras are a bit pricey.
Anyways an observation and a bit of wisdom. I logged back in the 70's and ran chainsaw mills back then. Some of us remember the days of chainsaws with NO anti vibe, big heavy units, the 090's weren't the only animals out there. When I think about it my hands and arms shudder at goin back to something without anti vibe. Heavy, get out of town, you know you were in for a workout.
Well I built a bunch of race cars and bikes. Loved Harleys but... you were not gonna beat a Jap bike. Drag racers figured it out so did Nascar. My friends Horsepower is King, Torque has become only a player. If you can build HI RPM Horspower you is gonna be the winner.
I am sure that some player could take an 090 and get a few more Rrr's out of it, but is it worth it.
Two stroke technology is amazing. I have a friend that does Motocross, runs 125cc Kawi's, water cooled and they are gettin over 45 Horsepower out of them, they ain't that heavy. If I remember some of the figures, (its been awhile) they were a lot lighter than them 090's even with the water cooling.
These days, I am not brand loyal, Stihl and Husky are both good saws. I run a 3120. I read someplace that someone was cutting black walnut, with a 3120 and a 12 Foot bar on it. Single motor, not a tandem unit. Years ago we never really had any luck running two motors, getting them in sync was trouble, the other issue is the same for many of us, we mill alone a lot of the time. Friends would always want to help out, its somethin new, but rare was the time they showed up to help again. Work is still a 4 letter word and millin is hard.
We used to file by hand, but that got lame, the new grinders are the way to go.
Technology has been a blessing, the new saws are the way to go. Chain technology has improved with better materials. Gas hasn't.
Personally if I entertained the idea of goin back to an old saw or usin twins, I would make a mill and use a watercooled Kawi motor. Not gonna happen.
I have several bar setups, one using the auxilliary handle, has a nice roller bearing. I like the Cannon bars, they have more meat in them from top to bottom, a lot less flex. (Not thicker but there is more bar accross the flat). I use the auxilliary oiler with the big bars, but I do different with oil. I use winter bar oil in the can and regular bar oil in the saw. I have checked the heat of the bar and even tried usin good motor oil on the bar, with good success. Chains stayed lubed and easier to clean. Using motor oil, the bar was a lot cooler.
It is somethin you would have to try for yourself.
I hope this helps someone out. For what its worth, I'll have a softspot for the old 090's but the new stuff is really the way to go.
Happy millin

Bambi

Well I built a bunch of race cars and bikes. Loved Harleys but... you were not gonna beat a Jap bike. Drag racers figured it out so did Nascar. My friends Horsepower is King, Torque has become only a player. If you can build HI RPM Horspower you is gonna be the winner.
I am sure that some player could take an 090 and get a few more Rrr's out of it, but is it worth it.

I like your post, you know what you're talking about. However, I have a diesel pick up that makes 660 horse and 1290 torque. It'll run 12.3@112 It red lines at 4500 rpm. I can regularly woop the snot out of a twin turbo vette and still haul firewood in the winter. We can't totally write torque and low RPM out of the equation.

Back