Throttle blipping habit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why blip? Why not just maintain a constant fast idle instead. (say, about 1000 rpm's above idle) Seems to me this would be much more effective at lowering temps and oiling the bar.
Thats easy for me to answer as I just got in from the woodlot after 2&1/2hrs of steady bucking in the rain (last one was a 35-40" 14' Douglas log).
As Thall (I think correctly) pointed out the use of this to clear crap outta the bar after long sustained cuts (and it was a bit damp today, have pics will post in MS270 thread) before my next cut, esp. since I am usually slowing down quite a bit near the bottom of the cut (maybe goosing it a bit) and stuff gets in the groove and doesn't clear as fast: I will never maintain an fast idle as I refuse to walk around a log pile with a spinning chain and more often than not engage the brake (like thats what its there for). This doesn't mean wot blapp-blapp, just enough to clear everything so I can start my next cut at least at half throttle, but each to their own I suppose.

:cheers:

Serge (quite enjoying my first refreshment of the day thanks :D )

Side note: The metaphor of many saws blipping sounding like bees reminded me of working in a 'Gitcher own firewood' pile many moons ago, listening to a half dozen dulled, untuned, smokin', screaming-blippin' POS mini-saw-widly-like machines, it was like Armageddon, or a flock of half-starved crazed seagulls, not sure but it was bloody awful!

:cheers:

Last edited:
Hey every since space brought this topic up, I have had dreams
about blipping saws thousands of blipping saws like an stihl husky
quartet high low and baritone whole notes half, quarter and all in fiths.
Maybe if space had the dream he could get over his affliction lol.

You should listen to the song "Lumberjack" by Jackyl. :D:D:D

I agree with thall but im now afraid the saw blip police are gonna stop me......
seriously though i thought to my self yesterday i blip the throttle a lot whilst snedding limbs or cross cutting but when cuting today I would not be efficent in hammering a 50 ft maple to a pole and cross cut in a few mins and it was only done when needed.
what i find annoying is working with climbers who feel the need to try play name that tune with there saw whilst figuring out the next cut..I nearly smacked a co worker who thought it was highly amusing, maybe once but all morning its not and it sounds gay

Hey every since space brought this topic up, I have had dreams
about blipping saws thousands of blipping saws like an stihl husky
quartet high low and baritone whole notes half, quarter and all in fiths.
Maybe if space had the dream he could get over his affliction lol.

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: That was good. Space is gonna beat you up for that one...............

So I suppose that space hates The Lumberjack by Jackyl. :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy:

I was born in the backwoods
Of a two-bit nowhere town
Fathered up some rock 'n' roll (baby)
So you muthers could boogie down
I ain't whistling dixie
No I'm a rebel with a groove
All around the world the ygo 'round and 'round
When they dig on my new stainless steel sound

CHORUS
I'm a lumberjack baby
I'm gonna cut you down to size
I'm a lumberjack baby
And you're the one that gets my prize
And when you hear my motor running
You know I surely be coppin' a rise
So I'm gonna crank it up and cut it down

I'm a lumberjack baby
I'm a lumberjack now baby
I'm a lumberjack baby
I'm a lumberjack baby
But I ain't jacked my lumber baby
Since my chain saw you

A squeek toy would be a lot cheaper, and can be made to sound like a saw. Anyone who thinks rapping a saw with no load sounds good is a few grunts short of a shyt. :greenchainsaw:

Well I've been "blipping" saws for awhile - and no issues ever had. Maybe your saws aren't blippable?

Guilty as charged.

But, I'm a bit of a two stroke nut, because as far as I'm concerned, a 4-stroke is just a waste of two perfectly good strokes. Yeah they make zero torque on the bottom end, but a two stroke powerband is great for certain applications.

A few funny quotes:

"Valves are for toilets"

"2-strokes SMOKE, 4-strokes choke"

Of course I have a background in motorcycle roadracing, though. Specifically two-strokes, although I'm no master like some of the other folks in my genre. My TZ250 does not have an idle circuit so you must blip the throttle to keep the engine running. :rockn:

The main time I blip the throttle is when the motor is started cold, to try and saturate the crank with mix. Once again I'm used to this on the bike, and to clear out the plug a blip to full rip does the trick.

I also especially like to blip it a little bit after long cuts, to oil the bar, chuck out wood gunk, and cool the engine down. Like what was posted before, just like what is stated in the manual!
:spam:

(I must confess I do hate Harley riders that blip all the time, and this goes for ricers and jap sportbike riders too... but the Hardleys and Honda Civic-with-a-coffee-can pipe are the WORST).

Give me two-strokes or give me death.:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Last edited:
Since no one brought this up I will add, bipping wears throttle shafts. I work on a lot of loggers saws and can tell the bippers from the non-bippers by the wear. The shafts are brass and the body of the carburetor is aluminum. The return spring puts a slight side load on the shaft and continual wear on one side is the result. Dirty conditions can really contribute on some saws where the body is not protected from the dirt. One saws I fixed was bad enough that it caused a small air leak and the carburetor was replaced. Mike

Since no one brought this up I will add, bipping wears throttle shafts. I work on a lot of loggers saws and can tell the bippers from the non-bippers by the wear. The shafts are brass and the body of the carburetor is aluminum. The return spring puts a slight side load on the shaft and continual wear on one side is the result. Dirty conditions can really contribute on some saws where the body is not protected from the dirt. One saws I fixed was bad enough that it caused a small air leak and the carburetor was replaced. Mike

Just curiosity here...were those saws on their first piston and jug?

(I must confess I do hate Harley riders that blip all the time, and this goes for ricers and jap sportbike riders too... but the Hardleys and Honda Civic-with-a-coffee-can pipe are the WORST).
I hear you there. I hate the "coffee-can-pipe" cars as you call them. I don't mind when a car with a real engine revs once a while:rock: :rock: . And the motorcycle guys that blip all the time does get very annoying. Evan

fallers

There is a lot of truth to that. You gotta hear it to appreciate it.

I'd really love to hear 8 fallers working on a hillside limbing,falling and blipping!LOL I've heard 5 guys at once including me and I thaught it sounded cool. 8 fallers, WOW!:greenchainsaw: :) :clap: :jawdrop:

Lol

Well I've been "blipping" saws for awhile - and no issues ever had. Maybe your saws aren't blippable?

Yea, LOL theyu probably just BOG!LOL BOG, BOG, BOG, BOG, BOG, BOG, BOG there ain't that annoying!LOLOLOLOLOL:jester: :) :clap: :greenchainsaw:

I'd really love to hear 8 fallers working on a hillside limbing,falling and blipping!LOL I've heard 5 guys at once including me and I thaught it sounded cool. 8 fallers, WOW!:greenchainsaw: :) :clap: :jawdrop:
March 97 tornado I heard hundreds as well as in ice storms
I loved it here a blip there a blip everywhere a blip blip.

Frank, I totaly agree about how annoying that constant blip, blip, blipping is.
The only thing more bothersome is the apparel some cutters wear. Like once I saw this guy not only blipping, but also wearing milking boots and welding gloves, sorta like a makeshift bagger to collect the sawdust.;)
John

You all see a common thread developing here????

Ya either Love it,,,, or ya hate it.... :chainsawguy:

Just seems like some strong words for a nervous habit,,, It doesnt really bother me one way or the other,,, those that can, Do!!!! those that Dont,,,, QA,,,,,,,

Brahahahahahahahahahaha

I cant believe this thread is stihl going :sucks: :sucks: :sucks: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Back