throwbag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What type of line are you using Tim, the old slickline?

These new ultra lite lines are so great, I still over throw big trees with a 8 or 10 oz bag.:laugh:

It is that cheap a$$ 3/16 braided poly from wal-mart. 260lb test and easy on my hands. $2.00 per hank. :p

I overshot that tree I climbed today twice. I have to get used to that fat line being so light. :rolleyes:

Look at that $20.00 bag from that "other" supply and you will see that the construction of it is different. The rocket bag has seams down the sides that will split open. :D

Tim,

Don't be so obtuse... :) who handles the mystery $20 bag? That way we can compare. Is your bag made from tubular webbing? What dimensions?

I've been using a Harrison Rocket as my #1 bag for about eighteen months. This thing throws really nice. It has a tiny d-ring that doesn't catch. The new ones have a small loop on the bottom to clip the rope into like Tim made.

Last month the bag caught on a stub and I ripped the material. Since the shot is encased in a strong bladder, I din't loose the shot. I just stitched the rip and coated the tear with some goopy glue. Another advantage of the bladder is that the lead shot doesn't bleed off the lead dust and slime. Nothing wrong with staying away from lead whenever possible.

The Rocket is the toughest bag that I've ever used. Even though there are sewn seams, I don't expect it to blow out like the other bags that I have.

Tom,

The Rocket Bag is sold at www.fresoarborist.com/index2.html

The bag I have been playing with is made of 2” webbing. It is 5 ½ “ long and weighs 12 oz. The larger ring seems to help get the bag over limbs easier without abusing the bag. I made the bag longer so that it would be a little loose to keep it from bouncing too much and it will still fall off a limb. In the attached picture it is the one on the far left. The bag in the middle is its cube mate that is used in case the other gets stuck in the tree or I need to use the other end to isolate the climbing line. The one on the far right is a bag I made a few months ago out of a stretchy rubber material that is coated in liquid electrical tape. That one works really well and has taken the abuse but because of the rubber material it has a tendency to bounce.

Back