024 Rebuild?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim in NY

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Had an 024 years ago and seized it by feathering the throttle as it ran out of gas. It was my all time favorite saw and I wished many times I had had the engine rebuilt. I traded it into the dealer for an almost brand new 026, which I still use all the time.

But I now have an older friend who has given up wood cutting and is gonna give me his 024. He said it was diagnosed with lower than ideal compression recently. Assuming the saw appears in my shed, will I still be able to get the dealer to rebuild the engine? Its been out of production for what, maybe 30 years?

Tim

Very simple saw to change out the P&C on, no real specialty tools required to do the change out but it is always recommended to do a vac and pressure test to confirm the chassis and cylinder is air tight, that test does require a few readily available tools to carry out. With the help on here most anyone can swap out a P&C set on these saws.

Yes, nice saws. Be aware there are different versions. Regular and super. Also there was a version that was finger ported with loose lower rod bearings. Be careful when disassembling that they don't fall out. If I remember, it was the wood boss but not all of these used the loose bearings.

Picked up the saw yesterday and it looks great and seems to run fine. Chain was dull, so I could not really use it for anything, and all my 16" chains need sharpening, so I could not swap in a sharp chain and work it. But I think it will be fine for what little I will use it. 5 saws now and I need to cut only 3 full cord of wood a year.

I might have 2 024 pistons I think I have to look. What is the series number for that saw?
Same as 026/260 , 1121

But....024 and 024S had same bores, but 024S longer stroke. Same stroke as 026/260.

So can't mix and match 024 024S pistons, and 026/260 P/Cs will fit 024S. (may be some plastic differences too?)

Same as 026/260 , 1121

But....024 and 024S had same bores, but 024S longer stroke. Same stroke as 026/260.

So can't mix and match 024 024S pistons, and 026/260 P/Cs will fit 024S. (may be some plastic differences too?)
Think again.
024 piston in an 026 is the way to go. Likely a taller installed height with shorter skirts. It might freeport might not. Most people will ruin the piston by cutting it flat like a Meteor kit because it's easier. You have the opportunity to cut a decent popup domed piston or a custom combustion chamber. Possibly both. Typically I leave the piston alone.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ah308/rgerringer/IMG_1060.HEIC
IMG_1060.HEIC

You can have this if it will work.

Beats me. I'm thinking Super, but wouldn't bet on it. Been laying around here for years.
Now I'm curious. I have a 260 but it is a different animal with a dome piston and 44.7 bore. That 024S had a crappy Meteor top end that wouldn't take machine work, ring of death and pitiful transfer ports that had to be fixed with JB. Reminds me of how poorly a 260 runs with that top end installed. Never got to mess with the 44mm ones much. Ported a few 44.7mm years ago for work tools not mine. I have no interest in these tiny cranks and pto drive sides. Mostly running 20" or more in 3/8" chain. I do have some new small mount LP 18" bars to chop up for larger mounts to run eight pin setups. My 200 build is getting an 18" lp, some intake system changes, bigger carb and filter. Those clutches won't handle much over time.

Do you have an old 026 or 260 piston to set it next to?

Now I'm curious. I have a 260 but it is a different animal with a dome piston and 44.7 bore. That 024S had a crappy Meteor top end that wouldn't take machine work, ring of death and pitiful transfer ports that had to be fixed with JB. Reminds me of how poorly a 260 runs with that top end installed. Never got to mess with the 44mm ones much. Ported a few 44.7mm years ago for work tools not mine. I have no interest in these tiny cranks and pto drive sides. Mostly running 20" or more in 3/8" chain. I do have some new small mount LP 18" bars to chop up for larger mounts to run eight pin setups. My 200 build is getting an 18" lp, some intake system changes, bigger carb and filter. Those clutches won't handle much over time.

Do you have an old 026 or 260 piston to set it next to?
Well, me being the genius I am, it is not an 024 to start with but an 026. 024 would be 1121-130-2005

Think again.
024 piston in an 026 is the way to go. Likely a taller installed height with shorter skirts. It might freeport might not. Most people will ruin the piston by cutting it flat like a Meteor kit because it's easier. You have the opportunity to cut a decent popup domed piston or a custom combustion chamber. Possibly both. Typically I leave the piston alone.

How is that going to work with either 2.0 or 2.7 mm P/C clearance?

024 and 024S were 42mm, the 026/260 were 44 and 44.7 mm.

How is that going to work with either 2.0 or 2.7 mm P/C clearance?

024 and 024S were 42mm, the 026/260 were 44 and 44.7 mm.
I never checked the bore size 😆
Guess it helps to cover the details. Never had an 024 piston or repaired the cylinder on one. Had a few in for repair years ago. Ass-umed it was 44

Latest posts

Back