Throwline Cube?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correction- the Bishop cube is a poor imitation of the cube SherrillTree has made in agreement with the inventor of the Falteimer cube. SherrillTree recently asked the producer of this imitation (Alborn Supply) to at least change their colors from the black and red that SherrillTree chose to keep from confusing consumers but i have the feeling they will not, and in fact prefer the confusion. The imitation black and red product that you'll find at most arborist supply shops except SherrillTree and Vermeer self destructs quite rapidly. The better product has SherrillTree printed on the corner strap.

Just thought you'd care to know.

A visit from Tobe Sherrill.......

Rope bags will save you money in the long run. Not only do they save you time by flaking rope quickly into them and easy deployment, they also keep your ropes cleaner and protects them from the grit that shortens rope life.

If you don't want to spend high dollar for a ropebag just buy an Army duffle at the surplus store.

I remember the Trestel rope I used to buy used to come in a waterproof duffle if you ordered 200ft. What happend to those days?

I'm looking to buy one of the folding cubes for throwline storage this week. The Sherrill catalog shows the fold and hold cube for $15 and the deluxe fold and hold for $49. What is so fantastic about the deluxe model that warrants a $35 higher price tag? I mean if the $15 model is going to fall apart in a month I would go ahead and spend the money for the deluxe model. Anyone have any experience with the regular fold and hold cube?
I've seen these in the wish books. So these things don't tangle the rope up?

Now I just have a short 3 inch piece of a log/limb. I had one of them cheap orange extension cord rap dillies but it petered out pretty quick.

Well I finally made it to Vermeer today and picked up Sherrill's deluxe cube. I decided on the deluxe model because it was bigger with more features than the regular cube and not so expensive as the German made cube. I wanted a larger cube for easier flaking and pockets to hold the throwbag. I wanted to make sure that I didn't buy something that would be a PITA to to flake the line and waste my time like the smaller throwline bags do. I tried it with the big shot today and set a line. Works great! It's always the simple, small things that make life easier and save time. I really thought I was going to have to start taking blood pressure medicine if I had one more greenhorn screw up my throwline trying to put it away in the bag. I should have gotten one of these cubes years ago.

Thanks to all for their input.
Well damn I guess I should of read alittle further.
Works good huh?..Right On!

I've seen these in the wish books. So these things don't tangle the rope up?

Now I just have a short 3 inch piece of a log/limb. I had one of them cheap orange extension cord rap dillies but it petered out pretty quick.

I used it with my big shot a few times the other day. It caught a few loops a couple of times but was easy to untangle while the throwbag was in the tree. I haven't tried it since I folded it up yet. Gonna use it tomorrow to set a line in a few trees I have to take some hangers out of. I'll let you know how it works out after being folded up tomorrow.

PS. I used to roll mine up on a cut piece of limb too. Did it like that for years. Works pretty good but it can be rough on the line when transported and knocked around unprotected like that,

Last edited:
I used it with my big shot a few times the other day. It caught a few loops a couple of times but was easy to untangle while the throwbag was in the tree. I haven't tried it since I folded it up yet. Gonna use it tomorrow to set a line in a few trees I have to take some hangers out of. I'll let you know how it works out after being folded up tomorrow.

PS. I used to roll mine up on a cut piece of limb too. Did it like that for years. Works pretty good but it can be rough on the line when transported and knocked around unprotected like that,
Cool! I've seen the slingshots but never tried one of those either. Pretty accurate is it? I uselly string it all out and just throw it. I will look into these bags and I hear ya guys on you get what you pay for.

Cool! I've seen the slingshots but never tried one of those either. Pretty accurate is it? I uselly string it all out and just throw it. I will look into these bags and I hear ya guys on you get what you pay for.

Takes a little practice but big shots are great for setting lines in large trees where you need to get 60+ feet. Up to around 60 I will usually just hand throw it myself. They also work great when you need to make a more vertical shot with the line. It's so easy a cave man can do it. :biggrinbounce2:

Takes a little practice but big shots are great for setting lines in large trees where you need to get 60+ feet. Up to around 60 I will usually just hand throw it myself. They also work great when you need to make a more vertical shot with the line. It's so easy a cave man can do it. :biggrinbounce2:
I'll put it on my list. I better get to bed if I'm gonna fill my list.
It got even bigger tonight.
captaincaveman.jpg

Cover your eyes, Randyg. I am posting again.

I decided to try a few levels of throwline cubes, as I usually use a cube on each end of the throwline to keep it from getting snarled in the brush. And occasionally I end up getting out a second line to get up a tree to get a line out that I tried to get too clever with.

So I decided to get the 20 buck light duty Wesspur 16 inch cube, the 35 buck "sturdy" 17 inch cube from Baileys and I am going to get a falteimer just to see how much better it is.

I received the $20 WS yesterday (used it a couple times already) and the $35 Baileys cube tonight. Guess what, the two cubes look EXACTLY the same, down to the stitch patterns. I think they are the same cube. And they are both 16 inches, including the Baileys cube which is listed as 17 (which is why I figured it was a different cube).

Last edited:
Just a note for any other CHEAPOS like myself...

I get "double" duty out of my throwline "bags". I buy the 5 quart ice cream buckets, get fat, then slim down throwing & climbing.

The buckets nest together and a bunch go in a 5 gallon bucket...

Not too good if you want it in your gear bag, but it works on the cheap.

I'll hav'ta price compare more. I mostly get bars and chains from Bailey's.

WS has some great prices (like the cougar saddle), but I think this disparity of price/info with the cube is not the norm. Generally Baileys tries hard to be competitive.

I've been a satisfied customer with baileys for years and they are great to deal with overall. I was sad when they announced they couldn't mail huskies anymore. I found out that was ending a few days before it did, and grabbed another 3120 online.

Edit: I contacted Baileys and they said the 17 inches was from the manufacturer. They now changed their website to say 16 1/2 inches (my tape says 16, but it is closer anyway).

Last edited:
Around 21 diagonal.

I like the 20 dollar version better. ;)

You have to like them guys at WS. Guess that's why they have gotten around $1500 from me in the last couple weeks....

Yeah, WS gets most of my money too.

I did try one of the sherill deluxe cubes. Works awesome, and I was comparing the ease of use with the little $15 ones last weekend some other guys were using. But I will add that after a couple months some of the stays have poked through the fabric. Still works, but....

Back