Thru the wall fan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We have a woodstove in the first floor living room and I would like to move the heat around to a couple of other rooms on the first floor.

We have been using box fans to blow the heat around but they are noisy and always in the way.

Tonight while searching I found this. http://www.tjernlund.com/retail/aireshare.htm?gclid=CK6cvruiy5YCFRIcawodZmGIyA

Has anyone used this product or a similar one?

We have a woodstove in the first floor living room and I would like to move the heat around to a couple of other rooms on the first floor.

We have been using box fans to blow the heat around but they are noisy and always in the way.

Tonight while searching I found this. http://www.tjernlund.com/retail/aireshare.htm?gclid=CK6cvruiy5YCFRIcawodZmGIyA

Has anyone used this product or a similar one?

I have never used one, but I like the premise of it. I too have used box fans, fans on stands, and fans in cans (sorry I had to carry that one out). I do not see a reason what they would not do what you are looking to do depending on your floor plan. Are you looking to move the air to other rooms adjacent to the room where the stove is located? Or a series of rooms? I would think the adjacent rooms would benefit most. Should even things out decently. Wish I would have seen these before I had the OWB and was using a pellet stove.

Sorry no conclusive evidence for you, maybe just support for "Looks like a logical thing to do"...

Chris

My plan is to get the heat to 2 adjacent rooms. My original idea was to cut a hole in the wall towards the top and put a register on both sides. My thinking was that convection would force the hot air out of the living room into the other rooms and pull the cooler air back to the living room. But I dont think the other rooms would get to the same temp without the aid of a fan. I looked at bathroom type fans but most are fairly noisy.

The fan on the link I posed earlier also has a thermostat option.

Heres the Home Depot fan for $56. Thanks Treeco :clap:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...l+fan&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I think Im gonna get a couple and see how well they work. Ill let you guys know what happens.

Thanks for the help.

I'd be interested too see how they work. I've used two of the small square type that screw into the top corner of a doorway. They are ok but small and don't move all that much air. They are quiet though and after I set them in a rotational pattern, do actually work. What I mean is I had both blowing out of the hot room on two different sides of the house. After I turned one around they seemed too work better as the air flow circulated quite a bit better.:cheers:

Hi Everyone,
I have been using the round thru wall fan from Home Depot for a few years and it works great.
The fan has 2 speeds and is very quiet.
It moves plenty of air to warm the next room and keeps the room with the fireplace from getting too hot.

I installed an 8" thru-wall duct fan ($30 HD) and connected it to a dimmer switch. Works great ! Put a 90 swivel elbow on the inside to direct air in any direction i desire : )
IMG_5705.jpg

My floorplan wouldn't work with the 'through the wall's. I use two box fans (?20"?). Two screweyes for each into the ceiling, a couple of hookeye bolts in the fan housign and hang them from the ceiling, one in the hallway right next to the stove, the second down the hall and blowing into the wife's room (she likes it WARM!).

No need to duck under them. Plenty of clearance unless you are a bunch over 6'.

Harry K

I too have been dealing with the room that the stove is in being about the temp of the sun and others cold!!

this is a real good idea and intake being high up in the hot room blowing floor level in the cold room just has it all.

I am looking into plumbing a furnace return above my stove so I can heat all the house .

post your results

be nice to reverse these in summer for a little cool air flow

update

Well after using the fans for a while I have to give them a thumbs up. I bought 2 of the home depot fans and installed them in the living room. One blowing into the porch I have been remodeling and the other into the bedroom.

Big improvement. The bedroom is still cooler than the rest of the house but much better than without the fan and comfortable for sleeping.

They arent as quiet as I hoped but not too bad. The fan for the bedroom runs nonstop and the other only when I am using the porch to surf AS. The noise is easily overcome with a slight volume increase on the tv.

I just thought you all would like to hear how it turned out.

Before central heat, some houses just had a rectangular holes about 4" from the ceiling connecting rooms. The openings I saw were about 5" tall and fit between the studs. Sometimes they were above doors. Seemed to work well. I would try that. If that didn't work, add a small muffin fan from Grainger to the opening.

O Yehhhh

@ FIRST I STARTED OUT WITH A 9" THROUGH THE WALL FAN.....THAT WORKED WELL.THE NEXT YEAR ,I PUT A DOUBLE WINDOW FAN,THE KIND WITH THE EXTENTIONS ON THE SIDE TO CLOSE UP ANY GAPS IN THE WINDOW.THEY ARE DUEL 8"CHERS ,AND THAT ADDED ALOT OF HEAT DOWN THE HALL.THEN THIS YEAR I ADDED A COOL ONLY T-STAT TO THE MIX120V COOL ONLY TO TURN OFF ON FALL TEPM,THEN .....NO IWASNT FINISHED,I GOT A 44 OR 48" SWINGING BAR FOR HORSE MATS THAT GO UNDER SADDLE BLANKET AND HANG TO DRY AND HOOKED UP A 20" BOX FAN SO I COULD SWING OUT OF THE WAY WHEN NOT IN USE.ALSO HOOKED IT UP TO THE T -STAT WITH AN INLINE TABLE LAMP ROLLER SWITCH......AND I DONT THINK I COULD IMPROVE ANYMORE........AND JUST WHEN YOU THOUGT I WAS DONE,I PUT A 20" BOX FAN @ THE OTHER END OF THE HOUSE,ON THE FLOOR TO REMOVE SOME OF THE COOLER AIR AND INCREASED THAT ROOMS TEMP BY 4 DEGREES.TRIAL AND ERROR AND MY NEW FOUND FRIENDS AT A.S. HAVE SAVED ME THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS,HELPED MY HEALTH,KEEP MY FAMILY VERY WARM & COZY,AND BY THE WAY......... MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL:cheers:http://www.walmart.com/search/searc..._0&search_query=WINDOW+FAN&Find.x=20&Find.y=6 HERE IS THE WINDOW FAN @ W/M

Last edited:
The cost of electricity to run all those fans is starting to eat into your wood burning savings! :)

The cost of electricity to run all those fans is starting to eat into your wood burning savings! :)

Its a necessary evil.

We are still saving a TON on LP gas. Last months Electric bill was just over $100 which for us is about right for us in the winter. The water tank heater for the cows sucks a lot of juice.

Someday I hope to install a Garn and infloor heat. But for now.....

thanx for the idea's guy's, i checked on the hd site in canada and no thru wall fans, canada suck's some times.

Latest posts

Back