Ticks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems like I have been pulling 2 or 3 off of me every night while sleeping so far this spring. I think my dogs are bringing them in the house. Only one was starting to bite in, the rest I just feel crawling on me. It's just a way of life up here. I check myself really good when I come in from working outside and take a shower, feel every place on your body for an unusual little bump, and I do mean every place. Believe me I have had them stuck on where the sun don't shine. lol

giving your dog a bath in a moderately strong bucket of water and lavender oil helps. It drives fleas completely insane and has some effect at preventing ticks. It also makes your dog smell nice. I used to do it weekly when I had a dog.

Shaun

giving your dog a bath in a moderately strong bucket of water and lavender oil helps. It drives fleas completely insane and has some effect at preventing ticks. It also makes your dog smell nice. I used to do it weekly when I had a dog.

Shaun
LOL - our puppy is a 115lb livestock guardian dog and she lives outside (mostly - there seems to be a hole in the house somewhere as she keeps sneaking in!). She doesn't care much for baths either.

Dang founding fathers would have half of goobermint dweebs today swinging from trees, and the other half scared into sticking to their proper role as outlined in our alleged "contract" we have to have a union.

I so agree with you. I live way out in the country and they continually regulate what you can and cannot do on your property. They will fine you if you burn paper garbage but yet you can't get more than a 3 bag per month (yes month) garbage pick up and throwing food scraps in the tall grass is considered attracting varmin and is punishable (no one has ever been actually fined for this that I am aware of). Luckily there is a transfer station to bring garbage that is a 35 mile round trip.

...They will fine you if you burn paper garbage... throwing food scraps in the tall grass is considered attracting varmin and is punishable...

Are you kidding? Wow!
We burn everything and anything that will burn... and all food scraps (or anything else that will compost in a reasonable time) get dumped in the woodlot for the "vermin" to rummage around in. About the only thing I haul to the dump is tin cans and glass jars and there ain't much of that anymore, most everything has gone plastic.

Shaun

frontline and advantix are the 2 best preventative measures...

The Used Dog frequently gets ticks. I have a little tool that will pull them out, but the problem is, he is a happy dog and wiggles too much. I have to get stern with him and it takes a while to find the little critter, then grab the pullers, then find the tick again--and insert some happy wiggling in between. It takes a while.

A friend and I were joking about needing to make our dogs sad, so they would hold still.

Are you kidding? Wow!
We burn everything and anything that will burn... and all food scraps (or anything else that will compost in a reasonable time) get dumped in the woodlot for the "vermin" to rummage around in. About the only thing I haul to the dump is tin cans and glass jars and there ain't much of that anymore, most everything has gone plastic.

Hard to believe isnt it. I know it was for me too till I got a $125 ticket from the DNR for it.

My wife got an school email on tick removal today. Dab a liberal amount of liquid soap on a cotton ball, rub it on the tick for fifteen to twenty seconds and the tick will come out and stick to the cotton ball. I had one on the back of my head where I could not see it. My daughter pulled it out. Using this method I could have done it myself without the risk of leaving the head buried in the skin.

Years ago we never saw ticks, you could go thru the woods with just shorts on. In the past few years ya occasionally saw one. This year its terrible, everyone around my neck of the woods in CT has had family and pet problems with the little devils. I have been on the tick of the week plan. Normally I just pull them off and do an antiseptic wipe down. About a month ago, I pulled on off and did the wipe, thought nothin of it. After a number of hours checked around for ticks and found the area where I was bit had grew a blackish spot the size of an eraser. Examined it closer, no signs of a tick (head), clean it out good and more antiseptic. A few days later off to the Doctor, quik look and sent me off for antibiotics.

Year ago they told us to lite a match and blow it out and quikly put it to the ticks butt and they would pull out and leave. Never had the chance to try it, does it work? Is it better than tryin to remove them with tweezers?

I can't figure out why they can't make a collar for people to put around their necks, ankles and wrists, for those that work in the woods. I spray with OFF, but am concerned about the side affects of DEET and other chemicals. More and more stuff has been released and written about this stuff.

Gotta figure the epidemic is because its a political year. The Ancient Greeks defined the Politicians as Poli for Many and Tics as Bloodsuckers. They are out in force this year for sure.

Never been afraid of anything, but don't care for snakes, but ticks are so small and cause so much concern. When will disease be immune to the antibiotics? Anybody got any good lotions or sprays the keeps them at bay?

Tryin to remain Tickless.

Bambi

We have ticks of the dog varity (larger of the two) here, we don't see too many deer ticks although they claim to be here as well. As an earlier poster said and it works well, a cotton patch and some liquid soap, liberaly spray the cotton ball with the soap, swirl the ball around on the tick and it will adhere to the ball after a bit, seemed more like a minute or two to me but one was near my arm pit and the other was on my lower head, I mean my way down south lower head. All I was doing during the day was cutting grass and I got 2 of the little suckers. No bullseye yet and they weren't swollen so it's wait and see and drink more antibiotic scotch.

The Used Dog frequently gets ticks. I have a little tool that will pull them out, but the problem is, he is a happy dog and wiggles too much. I have to get stern with him and it takes a while to find the little critter, then grab the pullers, then find the tick again--and insert some happy wiggling in between. It takes a while.

A friend and I were joking about needing to make our dogs sad, so they would hold still.

You have to "scruff" a dog or cat to get them to stand still for any sort of vet care, including I guess tick removal. I have two here I need to scruff, the rest will stay calm enough, although all of them need a reminder now and then. The larger dogs it takes quite the grip.

Just think about how a momma will carry her pup or kitten, by the scruff of the neck. Get in there and grab a righteous handful and don't be a wuss, really get some and then hold them. They get the message. There's some sort of instinct there and they will quit struggling. It is very similar to how that Caesar dog whisperer dude sits on them or holds them down until they give up. You HAVE to firmly dominate them for this to work.

Sometimes though it takes two hands, by the upper neck/back area, then a forearm down to keep their hindquarters down as well. Dogs by the base of the tail down, cats no choice just their whole body down.

You can manage with one hand but it takes practice if ya got a real wiggler or squirmer. Not sure, might be a youtube video of it. You might have seen the technique when they get shots.

ceasar is an idiot with no formal training and is frowned upon by the veterinarian community. his tactics and beliefs have no real play in the dog kingdom. please don't buy into his terrible and unnecessary mistreatment of dogs.

again, frontline and advantix, both work by paralyzing the mouth of the tick, which don't enable them to bite into your pet. a simple brushing and inspection after times in the woods and fields will keep them healthy...

ceasar is an idiot with no formal training and is frowned upon by the veterinarian community. his tactics and beliefs have no real play in the dog kingdom. please don't buy into his terrible and unnecessary mistreatment of dogs.

again, frontline and advantix, both work by paralyzing the mouth of the tick, which don't enable them to bite into your pet. a simple brushing and inspection after times in the woods and fields will keep them healthy...

I was just saying about scruffing. I take it you know what I am talking about. I was shown that years ago by a lady vet I used to rent from and also help once in awhile in her clinic, years before that guy was on TV.

Please don't give me crap about mentioning scruffing, That's the exact proper term for it and I've seen it done now by at least six other professionals I can recall off the top of my head, including my three closest to me vets.

I don't have anything for or against that TV guy myself so just forget I mentioned him and if you want to comment on scruffing, go ahead, educate me if you know a better way for the "wigglers".

I live in one of the towns adjacent to LYME and I have pulled at least 20 deer ticks off my dog this year as well as countless other ticks. This has been the worst year for ticks in the 7 years I've had a dog. Its so bad I have had ticks on me coming off of the dog. My number one defense against ticks is wearing light colored clothing and looking at your legs often, I can't count the number of ticks I've pulled off my Khakis because they allow the ticks to stand out against the light fabric. I have tried all sorts of stuff and nothing really worked 100% deet and permathrine didn't stomp them from walking on me and front-line or advantick didn't keep them off the dog either. now when I find a tick dug in I carefully pull it and place it in a piece of clear tape folded over it and attach it to the calendar on the corresponding day.
Be safe out there and if you feel sick go to the doctor.

hey zogger, sorry man. i didn't mean to sound as if i was blasting you personally. and yes, cats do need scruffed. i'm just against everything ceasar milan stands for and get testy when i hear him mentioned as being an example to follow. he's not, but for some reason (tv) people seem to think he is...

back on topic. frontline/advantix

hey zogger, sorry man. i didn't mean to sound as if i was blasting you personally. and yes, cats do need scruffed. i'm just against everything ceasar milan stands for and get testy when i hear him mentioned as being an example to follow. he's not, but for some reason (tv) people seem to think he is...

back on topic. frontline/advantix

Well, I am "guilty" of getting one of his dvd things at the library and watched it, we don't have cable or satellite, so that is all I have seen. I didn't see any sort of cruelty going on with his methods, and you can't deny he has a rapport.

I am not a pro trainer or anything like that, just have a buncha rescued mutts and purrers to take care of, get by the best I can figure out. MOST of them I first got to be calm with me by simply laying my hand on their heads and leaving it there for a real long time. Sort of zen out, all of a sudden they..get calm.

Some of the ticks apparently cause them pain when removing, so they squirm and wiggle, some seem to come off easy and the dogs don't care a bit, and most of the time I just slide my hands around them and snatch them out, along with cockleburrs and whatnot.

When I first have to catch the feral/abandoned dogs, I get close to them and roll on the ground onto my back. I guess it is goofy, but it works, they go from either real shy or real aggressive** to come over and check me out, then it is all fours, few minutes later, it's like they were always with me. I have little idea why that works, but it does, just something I noticed when strange dogs meet up, so I sort of copied it. I go from passive/no threat to them, then have to turn around and become topdog to them, that's when they might have to get scruffed and held, which is the "similar" I saw to what he was doing with new to him dogs. That's later on though, not right them, I don't do anything remotely forward or aggressive with new to me animals. Well, hardly never ever at all really. Had to get macho with some bulls before, that's it.

I can't comment one way or the other on what "professional" dog trainers and handlers do, I imagine it is similar to ford/chevy/dodge, or stihl/husky/whatever, "yours suck and my way is the best"!!!! I don't ever really watch my TV, never saw any other sort of dog show on there, never been to a dog show, nothing. My late sister worked with dogs as a pro, police dogs and like guide/helper/rescue dogs, she showed me a few things, but that was back when I didn't own a dog myself, too, quite a long time ago, the 80s.

I have no personal ego into this at all, either way, l don't claim to be a professional, I'm not into "breeding" or "showing" animals at all, just had been turned onto that trick or method of holding them for care/work.

**exception was a wild pitbull pack. Instant attack, could have been a real problem.... I very very reluctantly had to resort to using a self defense tool to deal with it. They were bonafide in highly aggressive pack attack mode. No notice at all, right up to the yard, up by the greenhouse, came charging at my GF, completely out of the blue, she's screaming, me and my dogs come running, blah blah long story, posted it before, ain't gonna dig it up or retype it. I just was not gonna fool around with that and try any dog psychology stuff, just wayyy too dangerous, plus with all the stock critters here. Had to make a judgement call, that was it. All the rest of them though around here I have caught/tamed up, kept or found homes for.

I don't want to downplay lyme disease or the ticks that bring it on but try not to live in a bubble. Go to the woods, do your thing,, and check yourself out at night. See a tick,,,, pull it off....

I've likely taken a bit more relaxed attitude than I should towards ticks and lyme disease but I'm just of the mindset that I'm not gonna freak out over it. Kinda like cancer. If I get it,,, I get it...

Last edited:
here's some reading about ceasar...

Veterinary Behaviorists Take a Stand Against Cesar Millan

some highlights:

In February 2009, the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB) issued a "position statement" about the use of punishment for behavior modification in animals, detailing 9 possible adverse effects of using punishment when training dogs. While not naming any trainers by name, the statement was written to counter Millan's techniques featured on his National Geographic channel show, The Dog Whisperer.

a vet's take on his video:
Many of you may be aware of a National Geographic television show featuring a charismatic individual who helps dog owners. I recently came across this video on the website and I urge you to watch it (preferably without the sound so as not to be distracted by his talking) and keep your eye on the dog. Here is what you will see:

Within the first 5 seconds, the handler kicks the dog in the abdomen. When the dog turns toward him he is jerked off his feet. A struggle ensues where the handler gets bitten several times and the dog is seen to be struggling for air. Finally he gets the dog onto the ground and the dogs tongue is blue and the dog is gasping for breath. When he finally gets the dog up it appears that there might be urine on the ground and that the dog voided his bladder in distress.

What you have witnessed is not dog training but abuse. Not only does the dog suffer, but clients are at risk if they attempt these interventions themselves. These are not appropriate measures and compromise the welfare of the dog and the safety of people. His explanations are false and not based on science as we know it. We as veterinarians must make our voices heard and let National Geographic and most importantly our clients know that these types of interventions are wrong and not in the best interest of dogs or people.

As a veterinary behaviorist I have dealt with behavior problems in companion animals for over 25 years and would never confront a dog this way. Not only would it be dangerous for me and the family, it would be harmful for the dog. My goal is diagnose the problem, and design humane treatment plans that help the family change the behavior of their dog so that they can safely live together. I hope all veterinarians can agree that this is the best approach.

Back