tie it in the middle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvthetrobag

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I worked with an older climber once and he had an impressive skill of knowing how to tie a limb off perfectly so it was perectly balanced. He did this with quite a few pieces. It was a tight job and i thought he wood butt and tip tie them. His ability to balance a limb saved alot of time. Anyone else good at this? I mean i can do it but not with the precision this guy could. It was impressive. I kept waiting for him to misjudge it but he never did.

I have to balance them out every now and then. you get a knack for estimation after a while. I used to work for a guy who would balance out huge limbs with a boom and swing them over houses. I have never attempted with anything that large. :chainsaw:

You do it on a regular basis and you get an eye for it. You can do it so that it will be slightly tip heavy (or vice versa) so that the ground crew can handle it better.

I am horrible at finding the center. If it’s important I have to tie a tag line on so the ground guys can balance the work. This isn’t such a bad thing for me really as any time it’s an issue it is also good to have a tag line. How did your friend use this ability to his advantage?

I am horrible at finding the center. If it’s important I have to tie a tag line on so the ground guys can balance the work. This isn’t such a bad thing for me really as any time it’s an issue it is also good to have a tag line. How did your friend use this ability to his advantage?
its geat for pieces where you cannot allow the piece to tip forward or back. I often find myself butt and tip tying peices like this.

This is where a GRCS also comes in very handy, being able to preload the rigging helps tremendously.

Balance can be key

Balance is something you just start to pick up after time. It is a huge time saver (not having to tip and butt tie, or double strap with a crane). I am always looking for faster safer ways to rig. I practice balancing pieces when the extra space is available, or when dragging brush try picking it up where you think it will balance. You will find if you try it alot you can get fairly accurate pretty quick. The precision balance takes time but with patience it will happen.
I was practicing balance on a crane job one day, we had space to work with some error. Took a pick around 2000# (tulip poplar) three leads to the main stem, about a 40' spread, strapped what i estimated to be center of load. Err on the butt heavy side. When i made the cut i was waiting for some roll or weight coming onto the saw. The pick did not move!!!! That will show you how well you can do when the pressure is not on.
Take advantage of every controlled environment you can to practice, it will help. And don't ever feel ashamed to tip and butt tie if you are not sure. It is still faster to tie one piece twice than taking two smaller pieces tied once.:rock:

Latest posts

Back