Tiger Blood, Adonis DNA, Dodge W250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbonaut

Go Climb It
Reaction score
The Ultimate Firewood Truck

Here is some nice round figures for ya:
My Dad bought a 1992 Dodge W250 brand new when he was 41 to drive to Cat, pull round bales/cattle trailer with and haul fuel to our dozer. It got 18 MPG no matter what. Fuel was $1.05.

I bought the truck when my Dad died 10 years ago. I’m 41 in three weeks. I use it for concrete contracting and hauling. It has 470,000 miles and gets 19MPG no matter what. Fuel is way over $3.00.

I haul 12 cords a year of hardwood in it @ 4000 pounds/cord both conservative estimates. Make that 48,000 pounds/year x10 years =480,000 pounds of Midwest deciduous. My wife just paid our Jan 2012 gas bill to a tune of $12.39.

Tell us about your firewood hauler. Do some quick math and throw in a figure about how much wood your truck has hauled. Tell us your heat bill for last month, if you want. Thanks.

Just got my new 1 ton dump in Sept. Only gets 12mpg, but it made me a lot of money in the last few months...none of it plowing snow tho...
Hauled 10 cord from where i had it stored to my house...Still have the same 1/4 tank of heating fuel for the last 3 yrs...

Now if it will only snow so i can get back some of the 6k I paid for the plow:msp_mad:

Yep know what you mean on plow, got a brand new Boss vx sitting here, haven't even fully assembled yet. Still got my 10 year old blizzard 810 on the truck, Only reason for change is no parts here abouts thanks to Douglas Dynamics buying up the company and then changing everything to match their Western/Fisher lines. Couple months to go yet, only made enough to pay for the 15 ton of de-icer I have stock piled. Still have 12 tons. But Hey thats ok, means I haven't broke anything or torn myself up. The Stove is glowing and keeping me warm while I thumb my nose at WE Energies. Supposed to get a tad nippy this weekend in comparison to what we had temp wise most of this season.

You didn't say but that must be a diesel w250 if its getting that kind of mileage. I usually cut & haul between 12-20 cords a year in mine. Never weighed the wood but the truck has racks so it gets loaded pretty good. My gas bill runs about $12-14 a month. Truck gets used for camping, hunting, hauling-4 wheeler, stuff to dump etc.

Cummins Turbo Diesel.

You didn't say but that must be a diesel w250 if its getting that kind of mileage. I usually cut & haul between 12-20 cords a year in mine. Never weighed the wood but the truck has racks so it gets loaded pretty good. My gas bill runs about $12-14 a month. Truck gets used for camping, hunting, hauling-4 wheeler, stuff to dump etc.

You are correct. Thanks for the post.

1989 W-250 w/ Boss plow. Crappy 360 under the hood.

64convertible004.jpg

The Ultimate Firewood Truck

I bought the truck when my Dad died 10 years ago. I’m 41 in three weeks. I use it for concrete contracting and hauling. It has 470,000 miles and gets 19MPG no matter what. Fuel is way over $3.00.

I haul 12 cords a year of hardwood in it @ 4000 pounds/cord both conservative estimates. Make that 48,000 pounds/year x10 years =480,000 pounds of Midwest deciduous. My wife just paid our Jan 2012 gas bill to a tune of $12.39.

Winning!

Back