Tillotson Carburetors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupedoggy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just as a clairification I thought it would be interesting to post a picture of the different size Tillotson carburetors and show size comparision. Pay no attention to the one on the far left. I am just building a manifold for that one to put on John Lamberts Remington Mite-t-mite so he can compete against Rotax Roberts machine at the Clearwater Revival.
From smallest (lower left l-r) They are:
1. The HU. This little carb. is on weedwackers and some small saws.
2. The HS. This carbutretor is on so many saws I can not begin to name them all. The old mc 125s, the husky 2100,288,272 series. The Stihl 056 and many others as well in all models. These are good carburetors and that is why you will find them so prevalent.
3. The HT. This one is found on the bigger saws and is a real good carb. It is on the 084/088 Stihl and Sachs Dolmar 166 just to name some.
4. The HL. Man this is one of Tillotsons money makers for sure. The old Homelites were replete with them. The 090 series Stihls and big Rementingtons, Mccullochs too. They were made in many different configurations.
5. The HR. This is a big carbutetor. It was not used on a saw to my knowledge but we have adapted them to some. It was a snowmobile and jet ski usage carburetor. The sharp eyed among you will see that it is actually a Mikuni (but is a clone of the HR so was used for illustration).
6. The HD. BIG is the only word to describe this one. Used on some bigger snowmobiles and Rotax engines, it was also popular to put on a Harley Davidson.
Well there you have it. I hope I didn't make any mistakes but if I did it wasn't on purpose. I just wanted to share this with some on the forum that may have an interest. Mike

tillotson carbs

hi mike, nice illustration, you beat me to it. I especially like the 4 barrel tillotson double pumper.
ken

I digged up this ole thread looking for a carb problem I have. The HS for ex. is used on many older saws as well as the HL.
For a single carb type, there are many versions according to saw type and maker, especially for the linkages.

Is there a way to find out for ex for a particular HS carb, which saws have the same (identical or interchangeable )carb ? This would broaden the choice if you are looking for an alternative carb for a particular saw ?

for ex. I have a Partner R16 with a HS tilly. Which other saw has an 'identical' carb ?

Furthermore, can a carb body with a leaking inlet needle be repaired, if the seating is worn out ? I have heard of people able to repair the seating with a tap of a hammer and special tool ?

thanks

Go to Tillotsons web site. There is a cross reference for carbs verses saws.

Yes... you can "repair" a bad seat - many methods like "tap", ream etc BUT if it's plated (chrome looking) and the chrome is cracked or flaked, then not all that practical...

The hardest part about adapting another carb to a particular saw is the throttle and choke connections. Instead of trying to unscrew the throttle/choke plate, grind off the end of the screw - it's peened over, and will strip out the thread in the shaft if you don't. The second difficulty.. is the the low speed bores are just drilled - so unless you get lucky, you might need to plug or redrilll them to be the same as your original. They are under the welch plugs.

And as for "identical" carbs on different saws.. very very rare... most are fine tuned per saw.

Last edited:
Some of the HL Tillotson's have removeable seats. Threaded, so if they become bad you can remove and replace.

Some of the HL Tillotson's have removeable seats. Threaded, so if they become bad you can remove and replace.

True, I've grinded a hex socket to a thin wall version to be able to unscrew those on the HL's. Works great. After cleaning, the needle seating works fine most of the time.

The problem I have right now is as HS one. The needle is in good shape and has probably been replaced with a carb kit. The seating is shiny and seems to have an edge. It leaks bigtime with the needle installed. I would grind a round chisel with the right angles and try to give it a tap, if I knew what the angles are ... will have a look at Tilly website as suggested.

Last edited:
The Tillotson factory is quite close to me, and they are very good with spares, I have got stuff from them before and they are very quick.

Make your angle slightly less than that of the needle. Try a small hardwood dowel with some grinding paste on the tip.

hey lakeside them HL kits how old are they actually ? are they still made today ?

They are still available in germany for 25.15 €/set . I buy mostly the gasket set only (without the needle, etc) for 10 €/set (excl. shipping)

attachment.php

Last edited:
They are still available in germany for 25.15 €/set . I buy mostly the gasket set only (without the needle, etc) for 10 €/set (excl. shipping)

attachment.php

WOW $ 32.00 USA price which is equivelant to your $ 25.00 euro price now that is a expensive carb kit i happen to have some of them kits here not made my oregon either i dont even charge that much for them man i can ship them international first class cheaper than getting them in germany

Last edited:

attachment.php

Hello belgian; Your Partner R16 should have a HS137 A series carburetor on it according to my Tillotson master carb manual. Unfortunately it is the only saw that uses that particular carb. It has a 9/16 venturi or main throttle bore. There are other carbs like it used on other makes of saws but the linkages and fuel inlets would be located differently. I can send you a list of the 9/16 venturi carbs from the HS series. Maybe the throttle shaft could be changed out to fit your saw. Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
I've got an HL-141 on my Homey C-5. Had a hell of a bad time finding someone that could work on it. Finally got someone to rebuild it. Got it back and it was missing slightly at top end. Leaned it about 1/8th turn and it seems to run smooth and strong. Am hoping I am not running it too lean. Put a 29" bar on it only to find out that the acresinternet info was not correct. The saw has plenty of power to pull the chain loop at that length but the clutch is definately the weak point. Dig in too hard and it will definately slip. The Denver area seems to be a little weak on Tilly experts. The first shop had it for nearly 2 months and then called me to tell me that the saw was a throw away or only good for parts.

I've got an HL-141 on my Homey C-5. Had a hell of a bad time finding someone that could work on it. Finally got someone to rebuild it. Got it back and it was missing slightly at top end. Leaned it about 1/8th turn and it seems to run smooth and strong. Am hoping I am not running it too lean. Put a 29" bar on it only to find out that the acresinternet info was not correct. The saw has plenty of power to pull the chain loop at that length but the clutch is definately the weak point. Dig in too hard and it will definately slip. The Denver area seems to be a little weak on Tilly experts. The first shop had it for nearly 2 months and then called me to tell me that the saw was a throw away or only good for parts.
The first shop had it for nearly 2 months and then called me to tell me that the saw was a throw away or only good for parts
thats probily cause they wanted to sell you a new one not to many folks work on the older stuff but let a customer come in our shop see how fast i jump on working on it i rather work on the older stuff anyday compared to what they have now

cause it is a challenge and them are the kind of jobs i love is the one where i can challenge the saw and say you will run correctly when i fix you

that is howi like to think when working on anything

too bad you are not around us here in carolina but may i suggest to you its been done once where a customer found us online way before we had the online store that had a mcculloch chainsaw wanted to get it repaired could not find a repair shop in his local area so he calls us being he was in wisconsin and i am in NC he shipped the saw ups no oil or gas in the saw we get it we call him to say we received it and will get on to fixing it

so i fixed it along with another friend of mine who happens to be a good mechanic also between the two of us we got the saw fixed i package it up ship back bill his card and good repair happy customer

but what im getting at is we placed Repairs Services on our online store for a reason to offer Repairs to our locals as well to those that cannot find a repair shop near there town

i know alot of folks may disagree with me but if the old stuff can be fixed why not fix it but like i say most repair shops say if it cant be found in a catalog then we cannot get it

when if they learn to search the net they may just find out something different for example i get tons of small engine shops all over the usa contact me on the phone weekly looking for obsolete Homelite and obsolete Echo parts all the time not very many Poulan calls

with all that is said dont determine if one shop says we cannot fix it dont think the next one and the next one will tell you the same thing cause every repair shop is different in price structure etc. im cheaper per hr labor rate than the john deere dealer is down the road you know why im cheaper cause i dont have the overhead like he has all the john deere mowers he has plus i am not out to rob the public i charge what i feel in my heart is a fair price no matter what the other dealers think

they dont even give me a discount on parts if i happen to not have a certain part and the distributors are sold out etc.

plus i give discounts on our online store if people only knew i have a membership set up Arboristsite member discount under memberships only can be viewed upon registering a account on our site

sorry for the long winded post but when i get to talking typing i cannot stop for some reason

thanks
calvin

Back