Tillotson HL carb ?'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This carb is off of my old Remington SL-5. I finally recieved the re-build kit and installed it this weekend. I fired the saw up and it ran great for about seconds 20-30 until it flooded and died. I have a steady flow of fuel through the carb now and cant figure out what I have done wrong. I pulled up the IPL for this carb at Acres site and re-installed everything per the diagram so Im fairly sure that everything went back in the correct way. Any ideas as to what may be going on here? Thanks.

Check height of diaphragm lever, check for trash under needle and check that the value needle is not sticking. If it has not been run in a long time it may have residue in the hole for the value needle. low speed needle setting should be 3/4 turn open , high speed should be 1 1/4 open. Tom

Thanks Tom. Ill tear it down again next weekend and let it soak in some parts cleaner again. How do you determine the correct height for the diaphram lever?

HL is on many types of old saws, and I have good experience with them. Clean out the needle seating and check the lever position as indicated above. I always pressure test the carb after reassembly to rule out the problem you described, works great !!!
:cheers:

Last edited:
+1 on diaphram lever. It should not stick uo above the body of the carb when you check with a straight edge or it will flood.

Good piece of advice Hoss.

The thing about those Tillotson carbs that can fool people is that the diaphragm hooks into the lever, rather than sitting on top of it. You can inadvertently bend the thing up when removing the old diaphragm without knowing it. Then you put it back together and it floods out. I did that myself a couple times before catching on.

Some thing you have to keep in mind with a Tilley HL,it has a big diaphragm.It will deliver a huge amount of fuel but will also flood very easily if the fuel lever is not set properly.

Because of this larger diaphragm it often takes a considerable amount of tugging on the rope just to get the fuel to the carb after a saw has sat a while .Do to the fact most were used on larger saws this tends to wear a person out rather quickly.

A member asked me how pressure testing the carb is done.

Here's my setup : it's a zama model, and hooked up with a tilly HS (same principle for every carb) Just connect the pump to the fuel inlet, apply 0,5 bar pressure and if there no leak (needle or seal), the carb should hold this pressure. if not, check needle seating for dirt, needle lever position and seals.

attachment.php

Back