tillotson most common failure ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patallen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have this ***** tillotson HL1A carburetor on a homelite saw that dont want to cooperate at all.
fuel dont get to it, and once i can make the saw work it needs to be on choke and barely runs more than 10 seconds...
with the choke full on and throlte fully opened, if i crank it forever it dont even flood !!

i took it all apart several times, cleaned it all, needle is clean, non sticky.

any idea ????

thanks.

I have never messed with a saw carb and dont know if they even have gaskets , but I remember messing with old motorcycle carbs, if you took them apart and reused gaskets it didnt take much of an airleak to give problems.
Have you seen the chainsaw page ? this is the milling and sawmill page. Scroll down when on the home page , the chainsaw forum is near the bottom. You might have better luck there.

Get a carb kit and new fuel line. You either have a cut,pinched,cracked fuel line letting in air and no fuel is getting to the carb or a bad diaphragm.

thanks, i moved my question to the correct page :clap:

-fuel line is new, tank is "over" the carb so it can get it there by gravity...but worth a try, there is no colar...

thanks !

Inside the carb, underneath one of the side covers (pretty sure its not on the float side) there is a small stainless strainer screen inside one of the holes (about 3/16"), pull out the old strainer, and throw in a new one. Its what screens incoming fuel. I just tore apart an HL7U off my 020AV, and that seemed to be completely plugged with varnish (saw hadn't been run in years). Hope that helps.

The fuel line being new does not mean it cant have a pin hole in it.

I have rebuilt almost every carb on my small engines I own in the last few years when in the past I never had to. I have put two fuel lines in my 372 one last fall and one now. I ask my dealer if they have been having problems and apparently husky has changed part numbers three times trying to get a fix for the fuel eating the lines up. The new additives they are putting in fuels these days are tearing up all the rubber components in the fuel systems.

carb problum

I have this ***** tillotson HL1A carburetor on a homelite saw that dont want to cooperate at all.
fuel dont get to it, and once i can make the saw work it needs to be on choke and barely runs more than 10 seconds...
with the choke full on and throlte fully opened, if i crank it forever it dont even flood !!

i took it all apart several times, cleaned it all, needle is clean, non sticky.

any idea ????

thanks.

look at the reed plate (that is on the end of the carb ) it is a seperate plate that will come off by it self the crank case preasure is what make's that carb work Their is a small hole in the end of the carb Make sure you put the gasket back on right Make sure the little hole match's the hole on the reed plate and carb and crank case Also look at the reeds One may be broken or a piece broken off the end If one is broken It will let the crank preasure come out the venturie and not make the diaphragm work Their is a diaphragm under the first piece of the carb thet has metal piece in the middle If it look real wrinkled I would change it But check the above first del

I have rebuilt almost every carb on my small engines I own in the last few years when in the past I never had to. I have put two fuel lines in my 372 one last fall and one now. I ask my dealer if they have been having problems and apparently husky has changed part numbers three times trying to get a fix for the fuel eating the lines up. The new additives they are putting in fuels these days are tearing up all the rubber components in the fuel systems.

It's the ethanol laced gas they are selling today that's causing it.Some stations are selling gas with more than the legal 10%,and are going through law suits because of engine damage from the ethanol.It is no good for high reving chainsaws.Beware!!:dizzy:

Back