Tilly Carb Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taddat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am working on a homelite XL saw and I can't get the carb to stop leaking. The saw will run but when I shut it off, the carb leaks out the bottom.

I have adjusted to meter lever to flush with the carb.
I soaked the carb in cleaner and made sure the main jet body is clean (looked and blew it out with air).
I have tried over adjusting the meter lever below the carb body and still no luck. It does not leak until I shut off the saw and then it pours out the bottom.

All gaskets are new and in the correct order (gasket then diaphragm).

It is an HS Tilly Carb.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Is your fuel line a tight fit to the nipple on the carb? A carb that is properly assembled will not leak fuel to the outside , a cover would have to be ajar on either top or bottom or there is a crack in the carb body, fuel line nipple loose or broken at carb.

Homelite Super XL

Is your fuel line a tight fit to the nipple on the carb? A carb that is properly assembled will not leak fuel to the outside , a cover would have to be ajar on either top or bottom or there is a crack in the carb body, fuel line nipple loose or broken at carb.

Thank you for your help - After reading your post, I went to the garage, took the carb apart for the 4th (or 100th) time and this time I put it together the RIGHT way. No leaks - Thanks again!

Now for the next question -

Saw starts, idles and revs as it should.

After the saw warms up, the saw dies as the rpm's go to idle. If you keep the RPM'S up, it will stay running. As soon as the RPM's drop near idle, it cuts out.

Gas is fresh, fuel filter is clean, carb is rebuilt, vent cap is clear, spark plug is new. By the way the saw dies or cuts out, I'm thinking it might be electrical when it heats up. I have an extra coil that I might try - any other suggestions?

Thank you for your help - After reading your post, I went to the garage, took the carb apart for the 4th (or 100th) time and this time I put it together the RIGHT way. No leaks - Thanks again!

Now for the next question -

Saw starts, idles and revs as it should.

After the saw warms up, the saw dies as the rpm's go to idle. If you keep the RPM'S up, it will stay running. As soon as the RPM's drop near idle, it cuts out.

Gas is fresh, fuel filter is clean, carb is rebuilt, vent cap is clear, spark plug is new. By the way the saw dies or cuts out, I'm thinking it might be electrical when it heats up. I have an extra coil that I might try - any other suggestions?

Sounds like the L screw is too rich. The saw is choking out at idle once warm. Raise the idle screw slightly, and tighten the L screw.

Back