Tilton Equipment no longer Distributing Jonsered Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In defense of TSC

That entire press release is silly. "This marks the first time this international brand of equipment is readily available to US consumers." I mean come on, how can you keep a straight face reading that thing. ...

You may not be reading this correctly. They are not saying that this is the first time the brand is available to U.S. consumers; they are saying that this is the first time the brand is readily available. That could be true, as there were huge gaps in their dealer map. While the saws may have been "readily" available where you are, they were not readily available near me. The county I live in is larger than Connecticut, and we have no dealers. That's not uncommon. The dealers are few and far between in much of the country.

On the other hand if you go back far enough Jonsered saws were readily available. I bought my Jonsered in 1983 while living in a small mountain town in Colorado. We had a great local dealer, as did many other small towns in the state. I just checked, and the number of dealers in that part of the state is now zero. In fact there are only three dealers in the entire state of Colorado! But in the 1980s they were readily available throughout the state. So is TSC's statement BS after all? No, because back then the saws were not branded "Jonsered"! My saw from the 1980s is branded "Jonsereds", with an "s". So I suppose a good lawyer could argue that the TSC statement is not false advertising. :laugh:

I just wish that I had a dealer like spike60 near me. If dealers like spike were more common Jonsered would not have a marketing problem!!

Doug

You may not be reading this correctly. They are not saying that this is the first time the brand is available to U.S. consumers; they are saying that this is the first time the brand is readily available. That could be true, as there were huge gaps in their dealer map. While the saws may have been "readily" available where you are, they were not readily available near me. The county I live in is larger than Connecticut, and we have no dealers. That's not uncommon. The dealers are few and far between in much of the country.

On the other hand if you go back far enough Jonsered saws were readily available. I bought my Jonsered in 1983 while living in a small mountain town in Colorado. We had a great local dealer, as did many other small towns in the state. I just checked, and the number of dealers in that part of the state is now zero. In fact there are only three dealers in the entire state of Colorado! But in the 1980s they were readily available throughout the state. So is TSC's statement BS after all? No, because back then the saws were not branded "Jonsered"! My saw from the 1980s is branded "Jonsereds", with an "s". So I suppose a good lawyer could argue that the TSC statement is not false advertising. :laugh:

I just wish that I had a dealer like spike60 near me. If dealers like spike were more common Jonsered would not have a marketing problem!!

Doug

"Readily" and with or without an "S", huh? You'd make a formidable debate opponent! :msp_biggrin:

Thanks for the kind words also.

In fact I actually, for the first time ever, agreed to do some service for TSC on the Jonsered product. "Exclusively" I might add.

I hope for your sake it works out for you, the local Husky dealer one town over signed up to do warranty work for the local TSC on the Husky and Speeco stuff and he got out of it pretty quick, citing the pay and paperwork not worth the time when he has enough work to keep busy with genuine Husky stuff.

"Readily" and with or without an "S", huh? You'd make a formidable debate opponent! :msp_biggrin:

Thanks for the kind words also.

That is my experience as well. In the 70s I remember using a jonsered with some firewood folks I was helping, but since then, I havent even seen one, let alone a dealer. Just pictures and discussions on this site here.

I see them on their map here and there, but from around where I am, looks to be 30 to 40 miles any direction to get to one. I would imagine it is similar in quite a few places that have TSCs. And you know coming out of the store..well..maybe...you would know, I dont...how are they tuned stock, or do they need a more realistic special backroom tune?

That is my experience as well. In the 70s I remember using a jonsered with some firewood folks I was helping, but since then, I havent even seen one, let alone a dealer. Just pictures and discussions on this site here.

I see them on their map here and there, but from around where I am, looks to be 30 to 40 miles any direction to get to one. I would imagine it is similar in quite a few places that have TSCs. And you know coming out of the store..well..maybe...you would know, I dont...how are they tuned stock, or do they need a more realistic special backroom tune?

I was just at the j-red dealer that's closest to me...12mi, theres also one 17mi away- a boxstore, and another around 35mi, that has oodles of jonsered saws, and unbelievably a brand new in the box 2165:blob2::msp_wub:, a dozen 2152 & 2159, but his prices are the reason theres dust on every saw.

and while I was there the manager was tellin me that they just received a shipment of parts on Monday that they ordered in February.

Good point Zogger. 66's and 72's all come out of the box a little too lean and need to be wound down a bit. If not, they stand a good chance of toasting themselves. The 2255's need some work on the low side, as they usually won't idle very well. The hi also generally needs to be richened up. I do this by ear, and you'll hear the RPM's go UP as you richen up the hi jet. The 2245/2250??? They'll run OK, but they still need a little attention to be at their best. Usually give them the same treatment as the 2255. The Poulan based 2238 might not ever run right no matter how many times you adjust the thing. :laugh:

Will TSC be able to get parts for the older Jonsered saws? I'm having a devil of a time getting 2094/2095 parts, especially a full-wrap handle for 2094.
Howdy,
I went searching for some 2094 full wraps a couple weeks ago. I couldn't find any in distribution but, you never know if Tilton has returned their inventory yet. Maybe somebody on here that is still connected with Tilton could check for you. 2095 full wraps are on the shelf in Reno.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
I went searching for some 2094 full wraps a couple weeks ago. I couldn't find any in distribution but, you never know if Tilton has returned their inventory yet. Maybe somebody on here that is still connected with Tilton could check for you. 2095 full wraps are on the shelf in Reno.
Regards
Gregg

I got the last one they had a while back. It was a part they would only stock one of, and would have normally re-ordered it, but with the big shakeup, I wouldn't be optomistic.

Also; Tilton isn't returning that inventory, they are selling it down, so they can continue to be a source for old parts for a while. (Might be more accurate to say Husky wouldn't take the stuff back, so that's why it's still at Tilton.)

Last edited:
Tilton keeps sending mailers to remind us that they still have NOS parts on the shelf, but every time I check their inventory online for something its on backorder. They must have a bunch of 4xx and 5xx series parts and thats it.

In the "zone" that I live in there are 11 TSC store locations and 5 Lowes locations. There is one Jonsered dealer, maybe, still kind of hard to actually tell wtf is up with that.

Locally there are no 2094/95 NOS stock parts floating around for sale. Lots of the 60cc and smaller NOS parts available.

Last edited:
In the "zone" that I live in there are 11 TSC store locations and 5 Lowes locations. There is one Jonsered dealer, maybe, still kind of hard to actually tell wtf is up with that.

There are no 2094/95 NOS stock parts floating around for sale. Lots of the 60cc and smaller NOS parts available.

I was able to get a handful of NOS 2095 a few weeks ago. Top cover, gaskets, handles, etc. They all had to be ordered from somewhere, not sure if it was Tilton or Husky.

Good point Zogger. 66's and 72's all come out of the box a little too lean and need to be wound down a bit. If not, they stand a good chance of toasting themselves. The 2255's need some work on the low side, as they usually won't idle very well. The hi also generally needs to be richened up. I do this by ear, and you'll hear the RPM's go UP as you richen up the hi jet. The 2245/2250??? They'll run OK, but they still need a little attention to be at their best. Usually give them the same treatment as the 2255. ...

That's the sort of model-specific knowledge that is priceless. Call me a skeptic, but I doubt that the clerk at TSC would know any of this, or even be able to understand it if it were explained to him. I long for the good ol' days, when knowledgable Jonsered dealers were not as rare as hens' teeth. :bang:

Hey, since TSC will be selling saws online, does this mean that other dealers can do the same? I have resigned myself to having to buy from a non-local dealer (since there are no local dealers in my area), but I would MUCH rather buy from a "real" dealer, and not TSC. It would cost far less to ship a saw across the country than it would cost me to drive to the closest dealer. Hmmm... :wink2:

Doug

I was able to get a handful of NOS 2095 a few weeks ago. Top cover, gaskets, handles, etc. They all had to be ordered from somewhere, not sure if it was Tilton or Husky.

Nice, get it while you can. My area has been pretty well pick over other than used saws. Got what I could find and I was not alone when looking that was certainly obvious.

Nice, get it while you can. My area has been pretty well pick over other than used saws. Got what I could find and I was not alone when looking that was certainly obvious.

I guess my point was, the Jonsered dealer that I went through was able to order the parts from somewhere. I didn't have to source them, they went through their channels to get the parts new. There are still parts for these saws somewhere in the US, just not sure how many and of what.

PS. What parts are you looking for? I have accumulated a few more parts than I will need.

Last edited:
I guess my point was, the Jonsered dealer that I went through was able to order the parts from somewhere. I didn't have to source them, they went through their channels to get the parts new. There are still parts for these saws somewhere in the US, just not sure how many and of what.

PS. What parts are you looking for? I have accumulated a few more parts than I will need.

I was/am not looking for anything in particular as much as I was just getting what I could get. When it became obvious that there was not going to be anymore old Jonsered dealers locally I made an effort to collect as many parts as I could for the Jonsered saws that I like.

Handles and crankcases were the big concern, lots of the used saws have serious crankcase damage and special duct tape handles.

In fact I actually, for the first time ever, agreed to do some service for TSC on the Jonsered product. "Exclusively" I might add.

I hope for your sake it works out for you, the local Husky dealer one town over signed up to do warranty work for the local TSC on the Husky and Speeco stuff and he got out of it pretty quick, citing the pay and paperwork not worth the time when he has enough work to keep busy with genuine Husky stuff.

I'll definitely be on guard for that. If it even starts to go down that road, I'm taking the off ramp. :msp_smile:

It's far less complicated for the end users to bring the saws to my shop, and keep the TSC store out of the loop. But all of the TSCs around here are over an hour away, round trip. That means that they'd really have to make it worth my while for me to visit the stores themselves. But all of this may be a moot point now, as Husky has announced that any Husky service center for mass retail, can do the Jonsered work. Makes sense in that they don't have to set up a seperate service network for Jonsered.

Not only can they do the work-They have complete access to the Jonsered parts network. Why doesn't this work both ways for the servicing Jonsered dealers allready established?:bang:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back