timber sports 2005

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason Wynyard

Jason Wynyard broke the single buck saw WORLD RECORD at the show
and he had tro

Latest News

Current Action

This Year's Events
Last Year's Events
Next Year's Events

Inside Action

Sponsors

Fan Base

E-mail Alert

Collegiate Events

Gear

Web Site Links

STIHL USA

Site Map

Contact Us

THIS YEAR'S EVENTS

Virginia Beach, Virginia - STIHL® TIMBERSPORTS®
Series Championships, September 23-24

WHAT A DAY AT THE BEACH

Jason Wynyard is joined by Tommy Sanders and Kevin Holtz in the first place title award ceremony.
They traveled to three cities to find out who would be the STIHL® TIMBERSPORTS® Series champion. From 32 beginning competitors to one seems like a daunting task for any championship, but Jason Wynyard posted his sixth overall championship, besting Dale Ryan and David Bolstad. Matt Bush logged a fourth place finish and was followed by Dion Lane, Mike Forrester, Mike Sullivan and Brad Delosa.

Jason Wynyard’s world-record time on the Single Buck set the table, but it was the bad luck of Dale Ryan that pushed Wynyard to the front. Ryan was clearly in the lead going into the Hot Saw and the Aussie “cut out” of the allowed distance and was disqualified. Ryan seemed pleased with his runner-up finish, after ousting Bolstad in a tie-breaking saw-off and when receiving his 2nd place medal, he entertained the crowd by walking on his hands.

A standing room only crowd filled the Virginia Beach Boardwalk to watch the days’ events. It was the closest STIHL® TIMBERSPORTS® event in recent history. The competition was tense and the real winners were assembled throughout the crowd to watch this spectacle unfold.

Brad DeLosa and Dion Lane battle against one another in the second heat
of the springboard.
David Bolstad picked up right where he left off in Lake Charles, La. by dominating the Spring Board-- winning by almost two seconds over Dale Ryan. Bolstad’s time of 36.58 was a series best. Matt Bush grabbed third and was followed by a very surprised Mike Forrester. “This is usually my worst event so I’m thrilled with fourth,” he said.

Rounding out the field was Brad DeLosa followed by Dion Lane who chipped his axe by hitting the iron dog that holds the wood to the pole. Jason Wynyard and Mike Sullivan rounded out the field.

Dale Ryan posts the best time and clinches first place in the STIHL Stock Saw event. He also came back later in the day to win 2nd overall with
a saw-off.
The sawdust was swirling as a strong breeze kicked off the Inlet waters during the STIHL Stock Saw Competition. With a few questionable saw start-ups, the competition got underway with yet another upset to Dion Lane’s day. A hitch in the starting cadence caused him to lose concentration in the beginning. “It’s just one of those days,” he said shaking his head.

Fellow travel mate, Brad DeLosa also became jittered after a shaky start-up and a saw that moved across the mat during idle mode prior to the shotgun start. “I put my foot on it and it kicked the bar back out,” said DeLosa.

It didn’t hinder him too much as he fell second to fellow Aussie, Dale Ryan. Ryan was at a loss for words, but managed a huge smile while pumping his fists into the air.

Third through eighth followed with Sullivan, Bush, Forrester, Wynyard, Bolstad and Lane.

David Bolstad takes 6 solid swings on the backside of his standing block chop.
“The wood was lifeless,” said Dale Ryan after his fourth place finish. Most of the competitors agreed that the wood was dead but it was consistent.

That didn’t stop Jason Wynyard from busting through the wood in 15.57 seconds to take first place over David Bolstad. “It felt a little different,” said Wynyard. “It was a pretty good challenge to get through it.

Dion Lane finished third and also agreed the wood was a little different. “It was really hard to work but we got through it,” said Lane.

Finishing fifth was Matt Bush followed by DeLosa, Forrester and Sullivan.

After multiple appearances against one another, Ryan is ousted by Bolstad by only one swing in the underhand chop.
Wynyard pulled through again over David Bolstad to clinch back-to-back first place finishes. “Somebody else can always be better than you on any given day,” said Bolstad, who finished three-tenths of a second behind Wynyard.

The wood continued to give Dion Lane problems, as he kicked the block off after his final chop frustrated with his finish, but still managed to clinch fourth.

Dale Ryan remained consistent with third and Bush, DeLosa, Forrester and Sullivan followed.

Jason Wynyard uses strength in his back leg to help push through the log on
the Single Buck event.
A NEW WORLD RECORD! Jason Wynyard shattered the world record time he himself posted in Menomonie with a time of 9.63 to take first place in the Single Buck Saw.

“I knew I was quick but I had no idea I was that fast,” said the former five-time champ. “Getting a world record in any event is an accomplishment.”

Mike Forrester bounced back with a second-place finish with a time that was more than three seconds off Wynyard’s record post. Matt Bush was third followed by Dale Ryan and Mike Sullivan. Rounding out the field was Lane, DeLosa and Bolstad.

Dale Ryan faces the ESPN cameras for a disheartening interview after disqualifying in the hot saw and keeping himself out of winning the title. Ryan consistently led the Series Championships all day.
It never fails that this event brings the best drama to round out the day. Dale Ryan, who led the series all day, disqualified in his heat by cutting the line on his final down cut. It was his first time to show his true championship status, and it was lost.

“For the past three years I have asked the guys for a square line,” he said. The square line would allow for better judgment of cuts vs. the round line. “If you use the string measurement and look at my final cut, it looks like there was still a line.” He walked away shaking his head—speechless.

Fellow Aussie, Brad Delosa stalled his hot saw in the wood and walked away with a disqualification.

Mike Sullivan posted the most impressive first place time with a 5.52 over Bolstad. Lane placed third and Jason Wynyard placed fourth to clinch the Series title. Bush and Forrester followed.

With a total points value of 32, Dale Ryan and David Bolstad were forced into a tie-breaker Stock Saw saw-off. In a precision race, Dale Ryan came out on top to clinch second overall.

Shana Martin and Mandy Erdmann await results from their “photo finish” championship race. Shana was
awarded the gold medal.
Upset Saturday – Shana Martin upended Mandy Erdmann to take the Gold Medal in the boom run. Martin’s start was so quick she got out in front and never looked back. “I’ve raced Mandy twelve times and never beat her,” she said. When asked about her new found prowess, Martin said she had lost five pounds and it has really made a difference.

Jenny Atkinson took home the Bronze by beating Abby Hoeschler in the consolation round.

Brian Bartow preps his rope prior to his gold medal round climb. Bartow took home the gold over Cassidy Scheer.
Climbing a 60 foot pole in 20 mile an hour winds wasn’t an issue for Brian Bartow. He was up and down the pole in less than 12 seconds and took home the Gold Medal. Cassidy Sheer won the silver and Kasey Swenson bested Guy German for the Bronze.

“With the wind being so strong I climbed the back of the pole to try to equalize the wind shift,” said Bartow.

<< BACK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Home | Latest News | Current Action | Inside Action | Sponsors | Fan Base | E-mail Alert
Collegiate Events | Gear | Web Site Links | Site Map | Contact Us
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Web Site Legal Terms and Conditions View trademarks owned by Andreas Stihl

Copyright © 2006 STIHL Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.
Web Site Definition and Design by tmg3.com

Back