Timberwolf or Iron & Oak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoover

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on a new splitter. I currently have a Huskee 22 ton w 6.75hp Briggs. Been a good splitter, but need something faster, and more heavy duty. I sell wood on the side (sometimes it feels like full time!)I've done 20 cord with it since Oct and will be in the 60-70+ cord range for 2010. I've narrowed it down to either an Iron & Oak or a Timberwolf.
My questions are what size? Motor preference? Attachments or features would you recommend or wish you had?
Thanks for the help!

TW-5 with a log lift. It's not easy to spend $7K for a log splitter but they are a great production machine!

I have an Iron & Oak 27 ton with the Honda motor. Works fantastic. The only option I have is the log cradle, but I am not looking to do 60-70 cord a year. For that kind of production you probably should have the log cradle and 4 way wedge. TW is a very good product. I was able to find a deal on the Iron & Oak, all the TW's were about list price.

Thanks for the input. What size Honda motor do you have? Can I ask what did the I & O run you?

I have an Iron/Oak 26 ton with a 9 hp Honda GX. Ran it today for the first time.

Nice machine. I'm hoping to start a thread this evening with some pics and story telling.

http://www.americanmsr.com/logsplitters.htm

I had mine made with the reverse hitch. I really like this option because I can leave the splitter hooked to truck and move when my pile gets too big or need to put it way. I also went with the honda 11hp, the log lift (a must!), table and the 4 way slip on wedge. Larry was great to deal with. If you search my username I had a thread going before and after I bought with pics. I think they are right up there with the timberwolf but less $. They are out of NY and I drove to pick it up. If you have any questions just ask. I'm in Dearborn, MI.

Thanks for the input. What size Honda motor do you have? Can I ask what did the I & O run you?

I have the 9 HP Honda motor. I bought the unit about 4-5 years ago and if memory serves me correctly I think it was around $2,300 which included the optional wood cradle delivered to my door. I bought it from an online retailer. I probably have the paperwork in a file but do not remember their name.

Last edited:
I have a TW 6. Good machine. I have a 4 way and 6 way wedge and grate on the back. Very expensive.

How tall are you?

The sponsor at the top of the page....SplitRite....is at a very comfortable height to work at, and is full of great features.

If you want speed...SuperSplitter.

:cheers:

292bu9x.jpg
try this one tom trees

hoover, I had a post not too long ago asking about splitters and options and the guys gave some good feedback.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=119212

I ended up buying the Timberwolf TWP1 with the four way for $2410. The comparable 20 ton Iron and Oak with the Honda GX engine and four way would have been $2315, thats figure also adds in $100 for fluids. But I still would have had to put the Iron and Oak together. Timberwolf shipped a unit to the local dealer for me to look at and try, no strings attached. Once I tried it and liked it, that sealed the deal.

Good luck!! If you're going into production you'll probably want the bigger units but hopefully this TWP1 will be the last splitter I ever buy!!! So far it seems like a nice unit!! Can't wait to get back out this weekend and split some more!! :cheers:

Thanks Blackjack...I did read the thread. Good stuff as always from the AS members! It's one thing I have been impressed w about this site, is the willingness of people to help, give advice, opinions and "real life" experiences from actual users -- not just some sales guy tryin to push stuff on you.
How much cord are you pushing thru yours, or plan to in a yr?
I really like what the Twolf offers, and have to weigh how much I want to spend. Good problem to have, I guess - decisions, decisions....

Looking for some feedback on a new splitter. I currently have a Huskee 22 ton w 6.75hp Briggs. Been a good splitter, but need something faster, and more heavy duty. I sell wood on the side (sometimes it feels like full time!)I've done 20 cord with it since Oct and will be in the 60-70+ cord range for 2010. I've narrowed it down to either an Iron & Oak or a Timberwolf.
My questions are what size? Motor preference? Attachments or features would you recommend or wish you had?
Thanks for the help!

If you are looking for a new splitter it is best to determine what your needs are first. Getting the right combination of cylinder, pump, and engine should be the the first consideration. A Timberwolf splitter with the same cylinder and pump combo as your Huskee will provide very little difference in output. The biggest advantage with the higher priced splitters is that they offer more combinations of cylinders and pumps plus other options such as log lifts , catch trays, and multi-split wedges.

Tonnage required depends on the wood you split.
Cycle time or speed will depend on pump size compared to cylinder size. A bigger pump with a same cylinder will be faster.
Honda GX engines are considered the best.
Log lifts are needed if the splitter is horizontal only and you split allot of big wood.
4-Way wedges will increase production especially if your blocks are fairly consistent in diameter.
For sustained production ergonomics and the ability split wood with the minimum of operator movement are important.

How much cord are you pushing thru yours, or plan to in a yr?
I really like what the Twolf offers, and have to weigh how much I want to spend. Good problem to have, I guess - decisions, decisions....

Probably less than 10 cords, I'm only heating my shop and cleaning up wood around the place. But I wanted a good splitter so I'm not hauling it in to get worked on. I'm also about 10 years from retirement, I'm trying to buy some of the toys, I mean tools, that I need now. Plus my philosophy is that I buy good stuff at the right price, I can always sell it or trade up. Kind of like boats, fish houses, guns!! :)

Latest posts

Back