Timberwolf or splitright log splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLEX MEANSTREET

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there has seen or used the Splitright wood splitters and what you think of them?? I am looking at buying a Timberwolf TW-6 but wanted to get some feedback about the Splitright. Any thoughts?

Thanks

wood splitters

I was wondering if anyone out there has seen or used the Splitright wood splitters and what you think of them?? I am looking at buying a Timberwolf TW-6 but wanted to get some feedback about the Splitright. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I am going into my third season with my TW5-FC with log lift, wood tray and four way head.

It is another forever purchase for me as I cannot stop praising what they built.

leon:chainsaw::agree2::cheers:

Wood splitters

I am also looking at the American splitters too. I am going to the Sawlex show in WV this month to check out all 3 pieces of equipment and hopefully make a decision. I like all of the features of the Splitright, it looks well thought out but the only thing I am concerned about is the size of the cylinder shaft (2" vs. Timber W. which has a 3.5"). It seems like the TW may have more splitting power than the others? The wood I work is often anywhere from 30" and up with nasty knots and crotches. Pretty big and tough stuff, I just want to make sure when I make this much of an investment on a piece of equipment that I am getting through it. Thanks for your thoughts!

timberwolf vs splitright

I too am looking for a big splitter. Here are some pros and cons of each as I have looked around.

Please chime in if I am wrong.

Splitright pros:
-torsion axle, can be towed at highway speed.
-Tall wedge angled forward for big stuff
-nice log lift

Cons:
-splitting wood toward tow vehicle means backing engine of splitter toward wood pile? seems backwards to me unless you are always loading what you split into the tow vehicle. rare in my case.
-the 4 way wedge seems to sit too far behind initial wedge so wood rides off the sides without completely splitting it

Timberwolf pros:
-cheaper than splitright and more available
-split wood away from tow vehicle so back right up to pile or conveyor
-4 way wedge splits sooner in stroke
Cons:
-no suspesion so tow slow and bouncy
-log lift not as nice
-just didn't look like 10 grand to me

feedback?

I have a tw6...no table, no lift. bought it used and that's the way the guy wanted it. I love the 4 and 6 way options.....BUT...while its easy to switch them out I wish the 4 way would go flush with the beam for nasty stuff. Right now I either stop and remove or get a second pile of nasties. Not really a big deal. Earlier this year when the wife jack knifed it and broke an axle stub, I thought about replacing both with torsion axles and i've been kicking myself ever since. When towing with my chevy 2500, it lets you know its there with every single bump. While I have the TW, for me a side by side is won by SR as they seem to have rectified those issues. Now if SR would only spin their machines around so the wood comes off the right end!

I can't answer the op's question but i do have some thoughts to share. I used a splitter the other day, it's large, 18hp honda twin, log lift, adjustable 4 way that comes off and on easily. The very first thing I said to him when I backed up to hitch onto it was "why did they build it with the wedge at the wrong end?" The wedge is away from the truck, I would like it to split so I could toss into the truck. On the other hand, having the wedge at the pile (so to speak) seemed to be more practical unless you could back in beside the pile. The log lift came in quite handy as the stuff I was splitting was all butt ends, large diameter (24"-40") Another thing I noticed right off was the lift is too close to the tire and not close enough to the wedge, with the fixed wedge, those large splits either had to be held and slid back or drop and put back on the log lift. I would design things a little different for myself. I agree with the 4 way being too far back, the wood sort of goes off to the sides and doesn't split all the way.
Good luck with whichever unit you decide to buy!

I find it very hard to believe that one of you guys complaints is not being able to tow it at highway speeds...really?

Its a $10,000 investment....

Would you hook a hitch to your ATV and yank it down the road too?

Very valid point Angelo considering the options already listed. The OP cant really go wrong with any of the choices. They are all pretty much equal in power and quality and model choices...boils down to personal preference. Best thing to do is try one of each!

I have nothing to compare too but smaller basic splitters I had used in the past, but my TW-5 keeps me grinning every time I fire it up:rock: It makes REALLY makes short work of many cords. I run it by myself, I can't imagine how much wood you could process with a helper!!! The log lift alone is worth a fortune to me.

splitter

i have a tw6 with all the stuff verry happy wish the 4 way went below the beam just my 2 cents

Wood Splitter

Hi,

I just joined this forum today and saw your question.

I spent HOURS! researching every wood splitter I could find on the web last year and at the end of my journey I purchased a Split-Fire 3255 and I could not be happier. It is worth EVERY PENNY!

There are so many things that I love about this machine that I wouldn't know where to start but I'll tell you a few.

This machine is QUALTIY, QUALITY, QUALITY which is very hard to find today.

It is bulit like a tank and they have paid attention to every detail. This would be hard to break even if you tried which is why many rental places use them.

Simple to operate.

It is engineered like no other enabling it to split larger pieces with less tonage, less horsepower and a higer level of safetly due to it's knife cutting action which spits both ways.

A little tiny Honda GX 160 motor which sipps gas that I run at 1/3 throttle and will run for about eight hours on one gallon of gas.

Quiet!

Good height for someone with back problems like myself.

Comes with hitch and pulls behind your car with high speed wheel bearings.

Does not get clogged with wood chips and self cleans while operating.

Wood catcher arms on both sides.

Yesterday I split a white ash 20 inch diameter log like it wasn't even there.

If maintained you will pass this down to your kids grand kids. No joke.

Hope this helps!

I went to a forestry show three years ago to see all of the discussed spliters and purchase one. I was about to spend 10k on a tw-9 when I saw the Iron and Oak display. I ended up buying the Iron and Oak commercial splitter for about half the money and it will run side by side with the Timberwolf. It is higher off the ground so it is much more comfortable to operate without having to put it up on blocks like the Timberwolf dealer had to do with the tw-9. The only disadvantage was I had to build my own table. But for a $4000 savings it was well worth it.

I went to a forestry show three years ago to see all of the discussed spliters and purchase one. I was about to spend 10k on a tw-9 when I saw the Iron and Oak display. I ended up buying the Iron and Oak commercial splitter for about half the money and it will run side by side with the Timberwolf. It is higher off the ground so it is much more comfortable to operate without having to put it up on blocks like the Timberwolf dealer had to do with the tw-9. The only disadvantage was I had to build my own table. But for a $4000 savings it was well worth it.

have an iron and oak that is six years old and i've never done anything to it but change the oil! And it splits 1500 fc a year! I just blew the hyd pump yesterday after not changing the hyd oil or filter since new.The muffler is rusted out bc its uncovered outdoors in the woodlot for the last six years. I never thought i would abuse a machine like this since most of my equipment is well maintained , but being away from the shop its hard to keep it pretty! I was hoping the machine when i bought it would give me two or three years of troublefree operation.Boy it proved me wrong in a good way! I dont thinkl I've ever been happier to spend 200 needed to fix it in my life! GREAT MACHINE!!!!

Last edited:
Back