Time for a metal detector

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FISH BAIT

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was finishing up the last two of ten oak logs I started on last week and $#!+......... The first log, second cut with freshly sharpened chain I hit a nail. Well there goes that chain. So, off to the bench to put the brand new, fresh out of the box, never been used chain on. I moved to the second log and got started. Third cut, hit another $%^&*() no good #$% of $%#@!^& nail. Chain 2 bites the dust. I'm so mad at this point both logs got cut up and split for fire wood. I don't think either chain is beyond repair but that really stinks, messing up 2 new chains.

I love to learn the hard way!
FB

My condolences on your chains but

at least they can be resharpened. Mill on bro....

Oh . . and need some pics !

Old Blue
Full taxation with no representation in
Kali-bone-ya

Hey ! wait a minute....we ain't supposed to be puttin up with that crap ! !...........

I
wonder if one would detect nails through to the dirt side of the log?A good thing would be also, to find some valuables while you are sawing ,as well as avoiding chain damage.

dont feel to bad i have a medal detector and still hit a nail last week but i have the luck that i peeled the cutters up screwing a 32" chain
yes i checked the log but i may have rushed it when you get one remember to take your time

Well, FWIW; no sympathy for you guys from me.

Ever see Gone With The Wind?

What I have learned, usually the $ hard $ way$.

Hit nails when felling...I hate yard and campground trees.

Metal detector finds most tramp metals.

Does NOT find glass or ceramic or rocks!!!! $$$$$

However, my Norwood LM2000 does indeed find ALL remaining surprises!!!

At the customary fee of $$$$$$ 18 to $30 a pop!!!!

Kevin

Metal detectors can be funny little bears. Especially if it's the sort used for non-ferrous metals. IF SO be sure to learn how to make it look for "junk" metal. They usually ignore that by default as most metal hunters aren't looking for nails and fencewire.

I'd go at any suspect log from AT LEAST 2 sides when detecting for metal. Test your detector settings often. If you can't turn the log, check it again after you've removed a several inches.

i suppose the "log industry" type detectors are less complicated, but then i've never used one of those-just the fancypants ones for coins and gold and sech.

similarly:

I have a rock, stump, and other forgotten obstacle finding device cleverly disguised as a 3-pt bushhog. it makes loud noises and projectiles when it finds something.

Last edited:
Back