timing and the flywheel.... learn me please... FIXED pg 3

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100 120 80....nuthin crazy for a 372
Remember Matty, port timing changes when you drop the jug, asymmetrically.

This is because the piston is moving the fastest at mid stroke. So physically they are the same distance as each other, but not in degrees.

Depending on the jug, the transfer more 1.5-2x as much as the exhaust does in degrees of crank rotation.

So you very well could be at 102/126-128 and not even know it. I've scratched my head on that one a few time after dropping a jug.

Is a 372 a quad port?

Timing was adjusted after squish optimized. ..so timing isn't that far off.

Had to set the idle screw fairly far in to get the idle right also...maybe that clue helps...

I think timing is significantly retarded for some reason...or weak spark. I may change to oem flywheel and see what happens

Maybe zippynessless would be more appropriate, describing your 038 Mag. Lol

i don't have an 038mag lol those 038 will hold their own if tuned right too. sure they ain't no 372 or 460 but they cut wood. what about the scored 460 you rebuilt 4 times before finally giving up on it? bet is was zippy being tuned all cull lean with an air leak lol

i don't have an 038mag lol those 038 will hold their own if tuned right too. sure they ain't no 372 or 460 but they cut wood. what about the scored 460 you rebuilt 4 times before finally giving up on it? bet is was zippy being tuned all cull lean with an air leak lol
Very true, but that 460 Mag had zippyness just before it blew.
Isn't Zippy the name of the chimp in your avatar? Lol

Very true, but that 460 Mag had zippyness just before it blew.
Isn't Zippy the name of the chimp in your avatar? Lol

Of course that 460 was zippy. It was rebuilt and tuned by a cull and had an air leak. So in other words it was rebuilt and tuned lean with an air leak present. She stood no chance. Lol funny it took you 4 Pistons before you finally gave up on it ;) zippy is a clown name.

Ok, top is oem, bottom is AM .... the magnets look bigger on the am. I crudely marked the keyways and the magnets seem to line up pretty well. can't imagine timing would be off due to an AM flywheel based on these pics. maybe the magnets are weaker? but I'm not sure. again, i'll play a bit tomorrow

looks visually fine to me... but this is a different AM flywheel than I used. the saw is not in my possession right now. I'll line up the one from the saw in question tomorrow and see how close it is. visually the qc looks fine to me, AND the am flywheel is properly keyed, as opposed to the oem one.

so looking at the flywheel it turns counter clockwise....I think you could want the magnets to reach the coil sooner in the rotation to advance the ignition so you would rotate the flywheel counter clockwise (to the left) to advance the spark firing...

Almost any advance on a 372 results in popping in the cut, I don't advance a 372.

I think it slipped when u tightened it or the flywheel has troubles, either way it is retarded somehow.

The way the key slot in the crank is made I don't c how a flywheel without a built in key like a oem one can work. I understand it's aftermarket but why would it be made that way?

Back