Tis the season for some Maple!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homelite

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the maple I have been milling. I have a couple of logs left (the largest of the four I started with) to mill and will hopefully get to these once my hand is back in order. The boards overall have been pretty good as far as quality, making it worth the time in the cold to mill. I'm slowly loading the trailer for the trip to Michigan to air dry it over the winter.
I received some replacement toe clips for my cant hooks, so I need to take some time this weekend to finish turning new handles on the lathe.

Thanks for the pics!!!

Nice lookin cant and slabs you have goin there!!!! :clap:

Great stuff thanks for the pics!! What type of maple is it?? If its soft how did it mill?? We have like 3-4 good sized ones close to the house they are nice but they are too close one day we'll get them down and I will cut loose that why I ask.. Are you guys getting dumped on like we are here in Michigan today?? Can't wait for spring take care irishcountry

Very nice homelite... some nice lookin solid maple logs you have there. I don't guess you are really going to sticker and dry them in that trailer though are you?

As far as the weather goes, we got about 8 inches of snow here, but my parent are in the Michigan snow belt in Decatur (SW) where the lumber is headed in a couple of weeks.
As for the type of maple, it is silver maple, pretty soft and milled nice and easy. I am using the 390 and I don't have any issues. Its not what I would call fast, but the power to weight is perfect for a 65cc saw with the mill attached. I can mill all day and I'm not overly tired at the end. I also make sure that the logs aren't too big. The large maple in the pics is about 22-24 inches and will be the largest I've milled to date. This one will be squared and quartered. The quality of the milled wood is great as far as I have been able to tell, few knots, with some good tight grained darker wood in the center. All of these logs were branches (the trunk was over 40 inches in dia. and solid).
The leftovers are cut, split, and stacked, waiting their turn for the fireplace. After my hand surgery last week, the fiance thought she would bring in some wood for a fire and I said to use the white oak on the pallet next to the shed. Well, she ended up bringing in a load of the freshly cut maple, twice as heavy, and she had to bring it back out to the pile and grab some of the white oak. Oh well, it was truly the thought that counts.
I should be back to milling next weekend, so I am really getting the itch and its only been a week.

Latest posts

Back