To Be Hawken Energy, or not to be???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newmanab

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all
I live in Northern Ohio, I am in the process of buying a house with electric forced air heat pump with resistant back up. 2000 sq2 home (built 2 years ago) I am looking at the possibility of OWB (i have 10 acres of woods).. really like the Hawken Energy website,, however there has been some negative post. Wondering if there was any additional info,,,,, also some pricing.....

Or should i go with heatmor, woodmaster, centeral boiler????

I should add sometimes gone for work 2 days at a time!!

Thanks

Last edited:
you can find the previous years bills

At the electric company.. See just how much it has been costing current owner to heat it.. It might not be of any financial savings. seeing how you will be gone a lot of the time.. Turn the heat back to 50 or so.

Hello all
I live in Northern Ohio, I am in the process of buying a house with electric forced air heat pump with resistant back up. 2000 sq2 home (built 2 years ago) I am looking at the possibility of OWB (i have 10 acres of woods).. really like the Hawken Energy website,, however there has been some negative post. Wondering if there was any additional info,,,,, also some pricing.....

Thanks

You've got a real good Central Boiler dealer down at Greenville Ohio.He's a farmer who has been selling c.b.'s for years,has a good selection of fittings,log stor pipe and any thing else you would need.I bought mine from him 4 years ago and have'nt looked back since. Scott

owb's

you have many options to choose from . I personally like empyre. I have an empyre 450 and love it I am heating 2 houses that are approx 1800 Sq ft each and all the domestic hot water.on two wheelbarrow loads over a 24 hours period of time, of mixed hard wood and pine, in the dead of the winter the last few days it has been in the teens at night. i have been hearing god things from a few people who own crown Royal units . they are capable of burning coal . One thing that turned me off from C B is there is no ash pan for ash removable in the units I have looked at you have to shovel the burning coals to one side then shovel out thee ashes. empyre has three slit running through the bottom of the fire box so the ashes drop in to a pan. crown royal has shaker grates . Hope this info helps god luck

you have many options to choose from . I personally like empyre. I have an empyre 450 and love it I am heating 2 houses that are approx 1800 Sq ft each and all the domestic hot water.on two wheelbarrow loads over a 24 hours period of time, of mixed hard wood and pine, in the dead of the winter the last few days it has been in the teens at night. i have been hearing god things from a few people who own crown Royal units . they are capable of burning coal . One thing that turned me off from C B is there is no ash pan for ash removable in the units I have looked at you have to shovel the burning coals to one side then shovel out thee ashes. empyre has three slit running through the bottom of the fire box so the ashes drop in to a pan. crown royal has shaker grates . Hope this info helps god luck

The above was basically the ONLY thing that turned me away from CB as they are obviouslya great unit, but my local intaller/friend carries the Cozeburn/Empyre so that helped also and am very happy with my purchase/investment also.

I'm happy with the way my Global Hydronics/Hawken OWB works and saves me big$ but not real happy with the "warranty"

Hello all

Thanks

T hink about this long and hard. I am currently in my 19 winter heating with an owb so maybe qualified to answer. I also have 10 wooded acres but mines oak and hickory, pretty good firewood.Since Ohio is a much colder place than ar. this may not be even close but I burn 1k cu ft of wood a year on average.It can save you a lot of money but it can also work your a-- off.As for the burn time 12 hours for sure with decent wood, maybe longer. If your the only one that will be loading it then more than a day away your gonna need a back up. My unit is a hardy and all I can say is it seems to be a well built furnace. Good luck whatever you decide
Jerry

I have the heatmor and get 24 hr burns with good hardwood, but there are alot of great owb's out there. look at what options you want. I liked the ash auger option and the firebrick in the bottom instead of steel. just pic a good brand and you will be happy.

he-1100

I have a Hawken (but only 1 month) and so far I really like it. I certainly can't say that it is better than the others, but from what I've read there is probably not many significant differences between them. I chose Hawken because their local dealer seemed to be knowledgeable and is a nice and honest guy. The furnace seems well made and is working as advertised "out of the box". I have to fill it twice a day, but if I set the house thermostat @ 50° I will get 24hr burn times. Alot of factors will determine the burn time, maybe going with the next size up from the 1100 would give you better results.

With a 2 year old home, and a heat pump. I would look into installing a woodstove centrally in the home. I don't know who you have for an electric company there, but here its not that much for electricity. You wouldn't necessarily have to burn till it gets down below 35. Depending on the efficiency of the heat pump. My BIL has a new 2300 square foot home, with a heat pump. His electric bill never goes over 175 in the winter. All electric. If it was that cheap here, I wouldn't burn wood. But We offset a 400-600 cost of propane a month in the cold of winter. The furnace never runs with our indoor wood furnace. It may be cheaper to just not do it, but like said I would check the rates from the past and figure it out from there.

happy hawken owner

I currently run the he2100 in my home, i heat a 2000 sq ft tri level and dhw as well. One thing you need to know is hawken now builds these units, not global. during my search i found that the salesman was very helpful, and would always return my calls. I must have spent at least 40-50 hours on the phone with this man before i made the purchase. If i had to do it all over again i would make the same choice. The unit is very basic which makes it very easy to repair if you needed to. I currently load my stove twice a day about a level wheel barrel full in the morning and once again at night. These burn time will increase in length of time once i add additional insulation and replace some doors to rid the home of some drafts. when the temp is in the 40-50 range i can get close to a 24 hr burn time with well seasoned oak.

if you have anymore question feel free to send me a private message to discuss.

How touchy is it?

If you read up, I've heard that you have to register your warrenty within 5 days or you have no warrenty, I've also read about that new Eclassic having problems with the firebricks falling out and they don't warrenty any of that even if you get it the first day and your brick falls out. Also something about having to send in water samples all the time :dizzy:

The above was basically the ONLY thing that turned me away from CB as they are obviouslya great unit, but my local intaller/friend carries the Cozeburn/Empyre so that helped also and am very happy with my purchase/investment also.

The most recent CB unit has an ash pan in the bottom if I remember correctly. I saw it at a recent forestry fair. It's much different from their other models...Higher efficiency and design to meet new regs.

If you read up, I've heard that you have to register your warrenty within 5 days or you have no warrenty, I've also read about that new Eclassic having problems with the firebricks falling out and they don't warrenty any of that even if you get it the first day and your brick falls out. Also something about having to send in water samples all the time :dizzy:

Its true you have to register your boiler within 5 days but that is done by the dealer and you will get a confirmation.

Don't know much about the Eclassic and don't need to.

You do not have to send in water samples. They give you a kit to test your own and it should be done every 6 months.

hawken

I have a hawken he-1100 and have not had a problem, Get a 12hr. burn time. I know that the warranty that the global furnaces are different than the one that hawken offers. The hawken never goes below 25% and is an upgrade from the global.

Back