To Grind - Or Not To Grind?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomCat1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
New to stump grinding and need some advice.

I'm removing 2 large Silk Oaks and need to know the likelihood of them suckering back if stumps are not removed as well.

Also have a Magnolia tree job where large surface roots are damaging fence and threatening foundation of house. If I grind these large surface roots will it harm tree?

Thanx in advance, :cheers:
~Tom

Hey All,
New to stump grinding and need some advice.

I'm removing 2 large Silk Oaks and need to know the likelihood of them suckering back if stumps are not removed as well.

Also have a Magnolia tree job where large surface roots are damaging fence and threatening foundation of house. If I grind these large surface roots will it harm tree?

Thanx in advance, :cheers:
~Tom

I don't know about silk but any oak ever I cut down stayed down without grinding the stump. I wouldn't grind the roots on tree that was still standing. Yer supoosed to take them down first then grind, or at least that is what I was told.

First question...when in doubt grind it out!! not familiar with that particular oak, but I have had some red`s sucker off the root flair.

as for the Magnolia......yes!! grinding the roots will cause damage to the tree!

LXT..........

First question...when in doubt grind it out!! not familiar with that particular oak, but I have had some red`s sucker off the root flair.

as for the Magnolia......yes!! grinding the roots will cause damage to the tree!

LXT..........

I appreciate the input!
:cheers:

Silky oak or Grevillea robusta in my experience don't re sucker. A smear of diesel will make sure. Regards your Magnolia, I am guilty of some pretty hard root prunes to trees vs infrastructure. All trees have survived, just how well is very debatable. You need to be ever mind full of what may happen over long term eg progressive root decay or tree instability issues.

Follow the link to talk n pictures.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=105193

Hi all,
I have not had or have seen a Grevillea robusta "Silky Oak" sucker but a bit of poison never hurts. I always suggest grinding over leaving the stump.

Silky oak or Grevillea robusta in my experience don't re sucker. A smear of diesel will make sure. Regards your Magnolia, I am guilty of some pretty hard root prunes to trees vs infrastructure. All trees have survived, just how well is very debatable. You need to be ever mind full of what may happen over long term eg progressive root decay or tree instability issues.

I'll make customer aware of risk.
She does not want to remove it unless absolutely necessary.

Hi all,
I have not had or have seen a Grevillea robusta "Silky Oak" sucker but a bit of poison never hurts. I always suggest grinding over leaving the stump.

Yep... Customer was given 2 quotes. One for removals, and another for removals with stumps. Just wanted to provide all the facts so she can make an informed decision.

I've seen Eucalyptus stumps sucker back 12 feet or more in one season. On the other hand, Oaks and others not at all. I'm comfortable making the call on most of the trees I run into... but there are some I don't run into often, like Silk Oaks, I'm just not sure about.

Thanx Brodie,
~Tom

Latest posts

Back