to M-TRONIC or not ---261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering McCullough gear drives are no longer available, you might as well settle for an m-tronic. Sad but true.

Looking at the german stihl website, the only non-M-tronic models listed are 201, 461 an 880. 201 is getting m-tronic in the nearby future also I´ve been told...

hopfully well get to take a look at one this week,found dealer that has both versions,he first one around here to have a 261cm on shelf to take look at....

if it is as close to torque as my 028 and has more speed it will be win,win.----

i know this has probably been beat to death,but was really looking at m-tronic......now seen where few where having idle problems posted on here.....so now wandering maybe go with non-mtronic stihl saw..........h_ll maybe just keep what i got and say heck with it for now.......
Just go and buy one with mtronic. 99.999% have no issues what so ever. I can't believe people resist what is prolly the best improvement in modern OPE. Would you by a car with a carb on it because fuel injection has its occaisional problems too..lt amazes me that you would even consider buying a non mtronic saw. Always the minority has such a big voice on this issue when its a fact that the vast majority just cut wood with all the benefits of this tech. Good luck the ms261 is a great little saw, and a ms261cm is even better.

I bought a new MS-261 early in 2013. It was a little ***** to start. Also took a while to warm up to run right.

Bought a new MS-216 C-M, and the very first thing I noticed about it, was how easy it started. Also, it ran as it should have, with very little warm-up.

That was enough to convince me to buy a MS-441 C-M.

i can still get 261 non cm think 50.00 less than cm

I love my old 044 and my 441 (pre M-Tronic) was also a great saw, but my new 362 C-M has convinced me that the M-Tonic system brings the saw to another level. I takes several tanks of fuel for it to really come alive, but no way a non-M-Tronic saw would cut this well. Get the M-Tronic. Like my Dad used to say "Quality will be remembered long after the price paid is forgotten". I remember thinking how expensive the 044 seemed 20 years ago, but boy would I have been stupid not to buy it. It is so head and shoulders better than the Homelite 330 I was using. Never used the 330 again!

I love my old 044 and my 441 (pre M-Tronic) was also a great saw, but my new 362 C-M has convinced me that the M-Tonic system brings the saw to another level. I takes several tanks of fuel for it to really come alive, but no way a non-M-Tronic saw would cut this well. Get the M-Tronic. Like my Dad used to say "Quality will be remembered long after the price paid is forgotten". I remember thinking how expensive the 044 seemed 20 years ago, but boy would I have been stupid not to buy it. It is so head and shoulders better than the Homelite 330 I was using. Never used the 330 again!
hows the 362cm doing??? have you ran a261cm??thanks

I love the 362 C-M, you can see my review (the first for the 362 C-M) on the Stihl website. Never ran a 261 with or without M-Tonic. Was actually going to get one, but when I saw they had just come out with the M-Tonic on the 362 I went with that. Was so used to using 70 cc saws was afraid to go too small. I hear very good feedback on the 261 C-Ms, especially the ported ones.

I love the 362 C-M, you can see my review (the first for the 362 C-M) on the Stihl website. Never ran a 261 with or without M-Tonic. Was actually going to get one, but when I saw they had just come out with the M-Tonic on the 362 I went with that. Was so used to using 70 cc saws was afraid to go too small. I hear very good feedback on the 261 C-Ms, especially the ported ones.
yes i like my ms 361 and imagine the 362cm with .4 or so more horespower would be great!!! now i cant decide on which 261cm or 362cm, cant really afford either one lol---dang c.a.d.

yes i like my ms 361 and imagine the 362cm with .4 or so more horespower would be great!!! now i cant decide on which 261cm or 362cm, cant really afford either one lol---dang c.a.d.
i would sell the 028 for a little cash and add that to what you have save a while and buy the 441cm

i would sell the 028 for a little cash and add that to what you have save a while and buy the 441cm
YES I JUST HATE TO PART WITH IT....WE"LL SEE....ITS RUNS AS GOOD AS MY MS361 I BOUGHT NEW....441CM WOULD BE NICE

Both very good saws, and over the long run I'm sure you would not regret spending the money on either one. If you do more limbing, topping and firewood cutting I would say the 261 should do just fine, but if you do a lot of felling and bucking, over 15", I think the 362 would be a better choice. I personally think the 362 is the perfect size for an all around saw, but to put it in perspective, for 20 years my 044 was my all around saw, so I am used to dealing with the weight and i'm spoiled on the power. The 362 goes through anything under 10" like it is not even there, and now that it is getting broken in seems to also go through the big stuff just as fast as the 044 (which is really saying something).

Good Luck with your choice, and I totally agree with your sharp chain expression.

Both very good saws, and over the long run I'm sure you would not regret spending the money on either one. If you do more limbing, topping and firewood cutting I would say the 261 should do just fine, but if you do a lot of felling and bucking, over 15", I think the 362 would be a better choice. I personally think the 362 is the perfect size for an all around saw, but to put it in perspective, for 20 years my 044 was my all around saw, so I am used to dealing with the weight and i'm spoiled on the power. The 362 goes through anything under 10" like it is not even there, and now that it is getting broken in seems to also go through the big stuff just as fast as the 044 (which is really saying something).

Good Luck with your choice, and I totally agree with your sharp chain expression.
thanks,yep i kinda afraid to go 50cc,but herd good things about 261cm,think its 3.9 hp which is not far from my ms361 at 4.4,but then again the 362 is little more than the 361.....i had new ms660 had to sell due to finances but it really was more than i needed for firewood,and a gas hog......441cm be nice but its over 940.00,so i think the 261cm or 362cm would be all i would want to spend.......most trees i cut have already fallen,so most time felling isnt issue,but get trees from 12"to 30" average 20" to 24",and the o28 does fine,so if i knew the 261cm would be as torquey as 028 i think i would be happy with it,but if not the 362 would be better...

Don't just go by HP #s. My 044 cut just as well as my 441 even though the 441 was rated at 5.6 Hp and the 044 was rated at 5.1. The 362 C-M is right in there with them even though the Hp rating is lower (I have seen 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 ... take your pick).

All of the M-Tronic saws are rated at the same Hp as their non-M-Tonic counterparts, but everyone will tell you the M-Tronic saws cut much better than their rating. (Same goes for the Husky Auto Tune saws). I have seen people say a 441 C-M cuts better than a 460, and after running my 362 I believe it. The Husky 562 XP is also said to cut like a 70 cc saw.

Technology is wonderful when it works, and when it comes to the new computer controlled saws, it works! You do not have to go as big as you used to. The 362 C-M will be a significant step up from the 361. That is not knocking the 361, it is just that technology had advanced. I know that my 044 would not cut like a 441 C-M even though it cut just as well as the non-M-Tronic 441 with the same Hp rating. If you do not mind the weight (and some extra bulk), and you often cut big wood, the 441 C-M is a great saw, a good friend of mine has one (I need to try it out soon).

Good luck with your decision, I was there a few weeks ago.

I used to run an 028 and 026 all the time. The 261 CM will easily keep up with them, and pass them by. Plenty of torque and chain speed with an 18" bar/chain. I bought it as a limbing and topping saw, but have been using it quite a bit for all-around use. It has really surprised me. It is a joy to use.

If you're pitting it against a 70-90cc, it's not going to keep up. You just have to be realistic about your expectations. My "main" saw is still my 440.

Totally agree with you, I said the C-M saws would cut better than their actual size, not that it would work magic. Your 261 C-M will likely keep up with a lot of older 60 cc saws, and the 562 XP and 362 C-M will give your 440 and my 044 a run for their money. The 441 C-M will challenge the 460/461 saws, etc.

You have a good 2 saw combo, I almost went with the 261 C-M, but I like running a 20" bar and figured the 362 C-M would run it a little better.

Back