To pull a 4'er, how big do the Huskies need to be at least?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheArborist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I need to pull 4 ft of chain, and I'm only going to buy a Husky. Looking at the manufacturer's website, they say not to put more than 3 ft on a 394xp. I know how business works, and I know it would be in their best interest to lower those length numbers, so that they get us to buy the bigger saws. They may not be modifying the complete truth though. What can you tell me about this?

I need to pull 4 ft of chain, and I'm only going to buy a Husky. Looking at the manufacturer's website, they say not to put more than 3 ft on a 394xp. I know how business works, and I know it would be in their best interest to lower those length numbers, so that they get us to buy the bigger saws. They may not be modifying the complete truth though. What can you tell me about this?

What material are you cutting and how regularly? In addition to simply having the power to pull the chain, the capacity of oilers becomes significant when you get up into that bar length. Saws are designed with a certain oiler which has sufficient capacity for its general working bar rating. If you cutting softwood, you could probably get by with a 395 power wise, with skip, but you'd need to make sure oil was getting out to the end of the bar.

Big Eucs. How bad are the consequences to running something like that with limited oil on the end of the bar. It's not going to ruin the saw head - just the chain, right?

If I can cut a 4' dia. tree with a 394, I will.

not enough oil just makes things work harder also very hard on the bar and chain. a roller nose is a necessity. Might be able to do an oiler mod of some sort on the 395 to get more oil but im not sure. 3120 should be able to handle it.

You can put a 4' bar on a 372 if you really want. Have your buddy dump oil on the last 2' of the bar while you cut lol. I would think a 395 would pull it ok.

Yeah I guess the other question is do you need a 4' bar? You don't necessarily have to have a bar longer than what you're cutting..though it sure makes it easier...but in theory with a 3' bar you can cut up to 6' diameter...

You must be milling with it, unless you're felling giant redwoods!:laugh:

Seriously though, min. bar length for the 95 is 24", it's what I use.
The 95 is my primary saw, haven't started my 50 in 2 years...why bother!
I knock the rakers way down and work the saw hard with 50:1 synthetic.
BTW, you wont need to do the weights anymore if you're gonna use a big saw often.
Oh yeah, one more thing....you'll have a laugh or 3 when you get your buddies to TRY and start these saws without the decompressor!
Good luck with your choice.
Cheers.
Paul

OK, so I'll opt for the 3'er.

I know I've read it somewhere that it oughta be better than the diameter. I fell a Canary Pine with a 20" bar once, and the dia was 26". After seeing how far off target this thing it went, I made it a standard of mine to keep it length or better. I know it doesn't have to be that way. I'll just get what is possible. I'm up for a 3120, but I'm not up for a thirty one twenty.

I need to pull 4 ft of chain, and I'm only going to buy a Husky.

What can you tell me about this?

I can tell you that "4 ft of chain" is only about a 24" bar so you can choose from the 372 on up, they will all pull a little 24" bar with around "4 ft of chain" on it.

With your obvious lack of experience I hope that you are way, way way out in the middle of no where when that things finally hits the ground, because you sure don't seem to have the knowledge to properly drop a 4 foot diameter tree. So take lots of videos so we can watch too, should be real interesting.

Thanks,

Sam

OK, so I'll opt for the 3'er.

I know I've read it somewhere that it oughta be better than the diameter. I fell a Canary Pine with a 20" bar once, and the dia was 26". After seeing how far off target this thing it went, I made it a standard of mine to keep it length or better. I know it doesn't have to be that way. I'll just get what is possible. I'm up for a 3120, but I'm not up for a thirty one twenty.

Just learn how to run a saw.. If you where off target with a 26'' pine and you where cutting eith a 20 inch bar, well i really dont know what to say, it shouldnt be that hard of a task. if you have a 32'' bar and you are cutting a 72'' tree, the first cut you should make is a flat gunning cut, this dictates where your tree is gonna fall. get good at this cut and then tilting the saw to complete the face angle accurately & you will have a much easier time falling trees. It ie really easy to learn too...

Latest posts

Back