To Skip or not to Skip... 372XP X-Torq

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Reaction score
Hi all-

Found out we'll be working on 15 or so good sized pines we got approval to use for wood to mill into lumber for a new sugar shack for maple sugaring we do here in the northeast.

I have a 24" bar on my bone stock 372XP X-torq saw that is about 1 year old bought new and love it.
Thought a 28" bar could be handy for some of the bigger pines for the logs we need.

I've seen some of you report using 28" bar on your 372XP w/ no problems but should it be skip chain or not?
So I have two questions I'd like to collect input from you guys so I can make a decision:

1. On your 372XP X-torq pure stock saw (I suppose non-xtorq stock is good to report too I've read they are comparable power) would you use skip chain or full comp with 28" bar (has stock 7 pin rim sprocket)?

2. I've found 28" bars available for purchase no problem, but no pre-made chain loops. Would I need a dealer to make up some 92 drive link loops of 73LGX or 73JGX?

If I need some chain loops made, can I buy from one of you guys who sell products on here (a sponsor) who don't mind shipping stuff out? I'd like to give you some business! It didn't seem that Bailey's offered made up chain loops.

Thanks again for all of your opinions.

The 372xt will handle a 28" bar with full comp chain fine. I often use the jgx chain because I can file it quicker. Bailey's list loops of 28" chain in lgx and 30RCS in 93 links which is what my husky 28" bar uses. Most dealers can spin a chain for it also. I recently had a stihl dealer spin a loop of rsf stihl chain for my husky bar.

Thanks rburg -- I found pre-made loop of 93 drive link 73JGX on Baileys, but not full comp LGX. Looks like it will go fine on the Oregon branded bar 93 DL which if I remember correctly is same as Husky bar (Oregon makes Husky chain, bars also?)... anyway... filing time was something I was thinking about too, so I may get me the skip chain + bar and give it a shot. Now I just need a vise for the trailer hitch (or maybe a stump) so I have a portable sharpening rig when in the woods -- I like the bar clamped in a vise to sharpen...

May be just a typo

In which case don't get offended, but I all the 3/8 pitch, 28 inch Husky large mount bars I've ever seen were / are 93 drive links. Check the specs stamped on the bar to be certain.

As you're aware you can get away with a lot more in Eastern White than you can in hardwood, but for felling as opposed to just bucking, my opinion is your starting to push the limits of 372XP X-Torq. In response to your inquiry about chain configuration, I would suggest buying a loop of each and see what you like or performs better. You'll want an extra chain anyway for those unfortunate times when a rock pops out of nowhere anyway. Why not kill two stones with one bird?

I run 3/8, 93 DL, .050, RSF skip tooth on my PS 7900. One big advantage of the skip tooth vs. full comp chain is the shorter time required to sharpen. At night in the basement no biggie but oftentimes out in the woods when you're in a hurry, the longer it takes to sharpen the less likely you are to do it, or the quality of the job gets affected by the necessary time to do it right. (Especially when it's cold and wet, but that's my arthritis talking)

Other options to check out is semi-skip chain. Since you're cutting pine and if the dealer has the capability to sharpen it, or you want to try on your own, square chisel will absolutely fly through Eastern White.

Take Care

I haven't quite understood your question so I will reask.

1. Are you looking for recomondation on a chain to fell the trees

or

2. for milling the trees?

For 1. I would recomend a full comp chain
For 2. I would recomend a skip chain

May be just a typo

In which case don't get offended, but I all the 3/8 pitch, 28 inch Husky large mount bars I've ever seen were / are 93 drive links. Check the specs stamped on the bar to be certain.

Hey Swamp Yankee no worries -- no offense taken. I got the 92 DL from the Oregonchain website "bar,chain,sprocket" selector guide for 372XP, 3/8", 0.058, 28" bar. When I looked at the Oregon bar 288RNDD009 it says 93 DL which is what I would go with. Thanks for all of the excellent info.

..... filing time was something I was thinking about too, so I may get me the skip chain + bar and give it a shot. Now I just need a vise for the trailer hitch (or maybe a stump) so I have a portable sharpening rig when in the woods -- I like the bar clamped in a vise to sharpen...

Filing time will go down for each sharpening - but as there are fewer cutters to do the same cutting, they will wear faster, and need to be sharpened more often.

If you mess the chain up by hitting something hard or abrasive, that picture will of course change.

I meant to put jgx on my post since it is lgx in skip form. I really like the still rsf so you might have a still dealer make you one. I use a 24" bar to buck up to 30" wood but I don't usually fell any trees that size. Most of my cutting comes from storm damaged blowdowns. Sorry that my computer changes the spelling of still.

May be just a typo

In which case don't get offended, but I all the 3/8 pitch, 28 inch Husky large mount bars I've ever seen were / are 93 drive links. Check the specs stamped on the bar to be certain. ....

I have seen the 92dl statement several places, including Husky web-sites and catalogs - so I don't find it strange at all that there are some confusion...:msp_confused:

The 28" is only going to be 3" longer than the 24". Unless you're going to a 28" for a lightweight bar I would just use what you got or go up to a 30" which is 5" longer than the 24". If you like to sharpen chain get full comp. If you don't like to get full skip.

The 28" is only going to be 3" longer than the 24". Unless you're going to a 28" for a lightweight bar I would just use what you got or go up to a 30" which is 5" longer than the 24". If you like to sharpen chain get full comp. If you don't like to get full skip.

Is arithmetic different in Tennessee?

Nope. If you have 24" and a 28" bar handy take a measurement.

2012-12-19_09-49-43_8.jpg

2012-12-19_09-49-51_715.jpg

Latest posts

Back