to stack or not to stack?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stack it on pallets, be it rounds at 16" waiting to be split or finished firewood. Keeping it covered is a must! I love checking the competitions "seasoned" firewood with a moisture meter. Saves on all the bullchitting!:monkey:

i dont think this would work.....
the lineal feet around a pallet is approx. 16 feet.
you would need two of the 6" concrete 4x8's....
however, with pye r sq (3.142, 2' sq = 4x3.142 = 12.568 x the height, 4' = 50.472)
alas, the pallet is at most 6'' thick, and, securing this to the said pallet would mean that it would only have a 12.5% securing area.. consider, the weight of 50 cu. ft of wet wood...
move on to plan "B"....
just my penny's worth
John

I cannot say that I don't mean to hi jack the thread because by saying that I am recognizing that I am doing it. But where in the world can a guy find 500 full cords of wood per year. I have a hard time finding 4 just to keep the house warm.:confused:

willsaw4beer:.....
i was only refering to the structural integrity of having the screen attached to a pallet, which will carry a great load, consider, 3.5 feet of wet wood piled into this thing. the pallet will hold the weight, but, will the screen hold, as you try to forklift and move this around? . i dont think so... its close to 1400 lbs, (wet oak etc).....
John

willsaw4beer:.....
i was only refering to the structural integrity of having the screen attached to a pallet, which will carry a great load, consider, 3.5 feet of wet wood piled into this thing. the pallet will hold the weight, but, will the screen hold, as you try to forklift and move this around? . i dont think so... its close to 1400 lbs, (wet oak etc).....
John

Aah. I agree, that could be questionable, never know till you try. I still think banding the wood is the way to go. :cheers:

Oh yeah as I use the pallets when I stack the wood on them then and after the wood has seasoned and I use the wood I pick the pallets back up and stack them too so I dont have to walk on them.

I cannot say that I don't mean to hi jack the thread because by saying that I am recognizing that I am doing it. But where in the world can a guy find 500 full cords of wood per year. I have a hard time finding 4 just to keep the house warm.:confused:

Jesse, Welcome to the site. First, find a tree, cut it down, split, stack it and repeat, a lot! Seriously though, get in contact with the local tree outfits and find out where the wood is going, dump or landfill, etc. and try to go get it through begging, negotiating, being professional! If you haven't done it already then get saw chaps and a helmet with visor and muffs so you can wear them to keep you safe cutting on other peoples property. Let them know you have them and that you will work safely and clean up after yourself when you are done. Clean up brush, rake the yard, fix any dents/holes you made in the yard. Do not get talked into tackling a tree that is beyond your scope of abilities, let the professionals do those. Be safe, good luck, and fer pete's sake keep that chain outta the dirt!

I got people ! My friend brings me full length logs faster than we can split them. He could probably bring me 60 cord a day, if I wanted it.

Unless I end up with horrible results from piling on pallets outside and uncovered the time and energy factor involved in stacking 30+ cords myself that I'm only going to end up throwing in the back of my truck for delivery doesn't seem remotely worth it. I'll know a lot more next year.

From here on out I'm also going to try that inverted V thing with the pallets in the middle of my pile with the theory that it will allow a little more airflow.

Last edited:
Back