To the Stihl dealers here - do you mind it when...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been working on cars and trucks for 25 yrs and i dont mind to help someone if they are trying to help themselves .Dont ask me a thousand questions before you even touch the car or The time i get mad as He11
is when somebody ask me a question and then wants to argue because his
uncles buddys wifes brothers friends bosses son works on Hair dryers and
he said its the fuel pump or whatever.If you Take some beer its like a super peace offering.:cheers:

The time i get mad as He11
is when somebody ask me a question and then wants to argue because his
uncles buddys wifes brothers friends bosses son works on Hair dryers and
he said its the fuel pump or whatever. :cheers:

..what about if they got their info off the arboristsite forum / or the service manual?

That's the power and curse of the internet, methinks! Forums are great, but a little knowledge without necessarily practical experience makes for interesting results at times! :)

Sigh.... Try that on a real saw... and it won't work... unless you beat the living daylights out of it.

[hangs head, reaches for a another beer]

It'll work easy as long as you use a 20oz. plus hammer and a pair of 14r Vice Grips to tweak the flywheel fins as you hammer. Also, sometimes it helps to use a hot wrench (blow torch) on the threads to help things along. :cheers:

Thats cool long as ya hush while I'm working. If ya start yaking I'm gonna send ya packing,LOLOL

Also Troll get this, this happens alot too. Man brings in a BR600 blower Friday morning. Says it was running fine and all the sudden cut off. I'm like ok. I asked how old is it, he goes I bought it this year. I'm like cool, under warranty. I said where'd ya buy it, he goes I bought it here, I'm like even better. I take the serail number and look on my list of sales and ut oh, that number is not on my list, not good. I tell him, buddy you didn't buy that blower here, its not on my list. He goes oh thats right, I bought it over at so and so in Prince William county. I go ok. I hop on Stihl e-sales and run the serial number, no registration. I call Stihl and ask what dealer was this blower sent to, they tell me a dealer in Fairfax county. I'm like thank you. I tell the guy you didn't buy that blower over in Prince William county either. He's like awwwwwwwww I thought I did. I said well where did you buy it, he can't recall now. I said welp unless you can show me proof of sale there is no warranty on this blower, the warranty is only good to the man that bought it FIRST, not the second hand buyer at the pawn shop or from who ever. He's like ok. I hand him a tag for his name and phone to tag the blower. He goes aren't you going to fix it right now. I said buddy look around, see these other units here, they were here before you came in, this isn't McDonalds. He laffs, fills out the tag and leaves.

I tore his blower apart Saturday evening, oh my, busted cam gear, he has a nice bill coming. I woulda cut him some slack but since he lied and tried to pull a sneaky on ole Daddy he's gotsa payyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy,LOLOL

Tommie ole boy,

I enjoyed the story. Ya know? If you had been in the CIA instead of sellin' and fixin' Stihls five or six years ago, we would be in that war right now. Come to think of it, if you had been at the CIA in 2001, those big towers would still be standin'.

Joat

Tommie ole boy,

I enjoyed the story. Ya know? If you had been in the CIA instead of sellin' and fixin' Stihls five or six years ago, we would be in that war right now. Come to think of it, if you had been at the CIA in 2001, those big towers would still be standin'.

Joat

Awwwwwwwwww thankya Joat. You would not beleive some of the people that come in the shop with stories, lies, and excuses to try and save those pennies in their pockets. Its such a regular everyday thing I'm well use to it.

Here's a good one that happened last week Joat. This shows how people try to play ya.

Had a man bring in a old 029. He says it will start but won't run. I pull the rope and feel that sticky feeling in the rope and know right away its fried, cylinder scored. I tell him welp she aint gonna run no more, she's cooked. He goes whatcha mean. I say the cylinder is scored. He goes how you know that. I say cause I can feel it in the pull rope when I crank it. He doesn't buy it. He wants proof. So I yank the muffler and in the cylinder is a nice scored piston. I get the flashlite and hand it to him and tell him to see for himself. He looks and goes dayummmmmmmmmm, how did that happen. I go I don't know but I do know the cylinder and piston will need replacing and they run over 200.00. He says to hell with that.

Now he wants a new saw. He decides on a MS260 and now he's driving that hard bargin. He wants a huge discount. He thinks 400.00 is a fair price for a 469.00 saw. I go sorry, not in the give away business. He boo hoo's for a good 20 minutes and I'm not budging.

Finally I give in or so he thinks. I said well your not going to fix that burnt up 029 so here's what I will do. You leave the 029 here and I'll use it for parts and you can have the MS260 for 439.00. He wants more and I tell him thats the best I'm gonna do. He finally says well I'll have to think on it. As he heads out the door he picks up his fried 029 and away he goes. He forgets to pay me for checking it out but I didn't care, that woudl be fuel for the next day.

Next day here he comes. He says I've decided to buy that MS260, you told me 439.00, right. I said hell no, thats not what I told you at all. I told you to leave that 029 here for parts and then you can get the MS260 for 439.00. You took the saw with ya so the MS260 is back to 469.00. He starts going welll uhh uhh uhh. I said uhh my azz, don't play that BS with me. I told him you also forgot to pay for getting that 029 checked out yesterday, thats another saving you seem to forget. Now he's finding out this cat aint so easy to roll over. He goes well I got that other saw out in the back of the truck, I guess I could leave it here, I'm never gonna fix it. I said welp its up to you.

He goes out and brings that burnt up 029 back in. I sell him the MS260 for 439.00 and away he goes. Here's the funny part Joat, that old 029, I put it through the cuda and low and behold it looks like new, not hardly a blemish on it. I'm debating whether to part it out or toss in a new engine and sell it for a few hundred bucks. Either way I'm getting my 39.00 back and maybe more.

As for the tight wad I was dealing with, I walked him out to his truck with his new saw. He laffs and said man you are on your toes, you don't play. I thought ya dayummm right,hahaha:cheers: :cheers:

I worked for a Honda motorcycle and power equipment dealer 20 years ago, does that count?

If you bring somebody a basket case and want to make him responsible for sorting out the pieces, figuring out what was wrong, replacing what you lost, and putting it all together so that it works, you won't be popular.
If you just want to use the dealer as a machine shop to perform the specific tasks that require special tools, I don't see anything wrong with that, especially if it's clean and ready to work on when you bring it in.

I did the Honda mech thing in the past.

Nothing like getting a 4 cyl DOC 6 speed totally apart, dirty, with parts missing..........

Q: Can you fix it? How much will it cost?

A: Almost anything can be fixed with enough$$$. It will cost $$$ to know how much.

Awwwwwwwwww thankya Joat. You would not beleive some of the people that come in the shop with stories, lies, and excuses to try and save those pennies in their pockets. Its such a regular everyday thing I'm well use to it.

Here's a good one that happened last week Joat. This shows how people try to play ya.

Had a man bring in a old 029. He says it will start but won't run. I pull the rope and feel that sticky feeling in the rope and know right away its fried, cylinder scored. I tell him welp she aint gonna run no more, she's cooked. He goes whatcha mean. I say the cylinder is scored. He goes how you know that. I say cause I can feel it in the pull rope when I crank it. He doesn't buy it. He wants proof. So I yank the muffler and in the cylinder is a nice scored piston. I get the flashlite and hand it to him and tell him to see for himself. He looks and goes dayummmmmmmmmm, how did that happen. I go I don't know but I do know the cylinder and piston will need replacing and they run over 200.00. He says to hell with that.

Now he wants a new saw. He decides on a MS260 and now he's driving that hard bargin. He wants a huge discount. He thinks 400.00 is a fair price for a 469.00 saw. I go sorry, not in the give away business. He boo hoo's for a good 20 minutes and I'm not budging.

Finally I give in or so he thinks. I said well your not going to fix that burnt up 029 so here's what I will do. You leave the 029 here and I'll use it for parts and you can have the MS260 for 439.00. He wants more and I tell him thats the best I'm gonna do. He finally says well I'll have to think on it. As he heads out the door he picks up his fried 029 and away he goes. He forgets to pay me for checking it out but I didn't care, that woudl be fuel for the next day.

Next day here he comes. He says I've decided to buy that MS260, you told me 439.00, right. I said hell no, thats not what I told you at all. I told you to leave that 029 here for parts and then you can get the MS260 for 439.00. You took the saw with ya so the MS260 is back to 469.00. He starts going welll uhh uhh uhh. I said uhh my azz, don't play that BS with me. I told him you also forgot to pay for getting that 029 checked out yesterday, thats another saving you seem to forget. Now he's finding out this cat aint so easy to roll over. He goes well I got that other saw out in the back of the truck, I guess I could leave it here, I'm never gonna fix it. I said welp its up to you.

He goes out and brings that burnt up 029 back in. I sell him the MS260 for 439.00 and away he goes. Here's the funny part Joat, that old 029, I put it through the cuda and low and behold it looks like new, not hardly a blemish on it. I'm debating whether to part it out or toss in a new engine and sell it for a few hundred bucks. Either way I'm getting my 39.00 back and maybe more.

As for the tight wad I was dealing with, I walked him out to his truck with his new saw. He laffs and said man you are on your toes, you don't play. I thought ya dayummm right,hahaha:cheers: :cheers:

Tommie,

Yep, same ole stuff. Some think they're entitled. While you're doin' your CIA stuff, I'll handle the treasury. $469-439 = $30, not $39. Unless you're countin' that $9 for lookin' at that ole boat anchor. ($469-439+9 = $39)

Joat

Tommie,

Yep, same ole stuff. Some think they're entitled. While you're doin' your CIA stuff, I'll handle the treasury. $469-439 = $30, not $39. Unless you're countin' that $9 for lookin' at that ole boat anchor. ($469-439+9 = $39)

Joat

LOLOLOLOL, the 9 bucks was a typo, your hired Joat, ya got a good eye there. You count the money, I'll handle the sales and hitman operation.

Ya know Joat I may re-build that 029 with a new cylinder and piston instead of parting it out. Yup and I may call that ole boy and see if he wants to buy it back, LOL

I'm guilty of this crime. Had a ford ranger go belly up with the motor. Decided to try my luck at pulling the engine and replacing the gaskets since the thing leaked like the valdez.. got the engine out and replaced the gaskets, couldn't get it to line up with the tranny, as engine hoists dont work well on sand. towed it in with most(hee, hee) of the bolts bagged up and the engine loose in the mounts. They didn't blink an eye, said it be ready at the end of the week. Kicked myself in the ass for not taking the easy way out...
The next week I called the shop and was told that no one wanted to mess with it. While I understand the sentiment, they could have called me and let me know that, since I was planning on driving that truck on a trip!!!.
My saw guy is pretty helpful. I've learned to back down from things and just let him deal with it. If its beyond a regular cleaning and possible adjustment, it goes in.

Advice for anyone planning something like this in Thalls shop, Send a hot woman and i bet you get better discount:givebeer:

Advice for anyone planning something like this in Thalls shop, Send a hot woman and i bet you get better discount:givebeer:

Here's a goodie for today that I just got done with. MS250 came in last week. Been sitting for about a year with gas in it. He says cleaner up and get it running. I dump out the old fuel, put in new fuel and that thing won't fire to save my liltte ole azz. Fine by me. I toss the saw in the Cuda, comes out looking like new. Replace the carb with a new and varoom, she's perfecto.

Yesterday he brings it back and says it stopped, won't run, ya haven't got it right, still something wrong with it. I'm like what the hell. I say leave it here and I'll get to it tomorrow. 20 minutes ago I dump out his gas and low and behold 75% water 25% fuel mix. I was nice enuff to save his water/fuel mix for him. I'll be more than happy to show him his mix and tell him who had it right and who screwed it up but I will not charge him a penny, surely he didn't know his mix was that bad. Funny part is automaticly it must of been something I did wrong. I take pleasure in proving it wasn't eye said the blind man, it was you fool,LOL This water in the fuel thing is really showing up alot at the shop in the past year or so.

Last edited:
Tommie,

Offsides. Lake's a man!

Joat

I was requesting a comment from Lake, not a date Joat. Joat I'm gonna let you count the money but I think I may have to give ya a lesson on Virgina slang so we're both on the same page,LOLOLOL

I was requesting a comment from Lake, not a date Joat. Joat I'm gonna let you count the money but I think I may have to give ya a lesson on Virgina slang so we're both on the same page,LOLOLOL

Tommie,

My mistake. I guess countin' all that money has taken its toll on me.

I beg your pardon,

Joat

Back