To warm up or not ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hybridkarpower

Green eyes in the dark
Reaction score
Gents:

Do you guys warm up your chainsaws before cutting or not ? I read here on AS sometime in the past that idling isn't good for 2-cycles, but revving the saw at 13,500 cold sure doesn't sound very safe either ?

Gents:

Do you guys warm up your chainsaws before cutting or not ? I read here on AS sometime in the past that idling isn't good for 2-cycles, but revving the saw at 13,500 cold sure doesn't sound very safe either ?

I let my saws warm up before I run them hard.

A P&C going from stone cold, to really hot in a short amount of time is not good at all.

warm up

I always let my saws, dirtbikes, vehicles, and mowers warm up. Cold to very hot in a small amount of time is not a good thing imo. Warm em up and then clean em out!!!!

i usually crank it an get it running smoothly. then i progressively increase the revs, revving it and backing off repeatedly. i usually have it running for about 1+ minute bf i start cutting. you want the cylinder to be HOT to the touch bf you start laying into it hard.

I might start mine a little before I up to the first tree and let it idle while I check the drop location or line. I would say that I do. I have notice that my 441 needs to be warm before she wants to work very fast.

Sam

Not a bad idea for warm ups.

I might start mine a little before I up to the first tree and let it idle while I check the drop location or line. I would say that I do. I have notice that my 441 needs to be warm before she wants to work very fast.

Sam

I warm em up.

A couple of my saws run like crap until warmed. 200T and MS361 are like that. They idle poorly and too fast for a minute or so and then settle right in. Those two saws use accel pump carbs not sure if that has something to do with it

I warm em up.

A couple of my saws run like crap until warmed. 200T and MS361 are like that. They idle poorly and too fast for a minute or so and then settle right in. Those two saws use accel pump carbs not sure if that has something to do with it

That's because there stihl's lol !( I own 2), but yes you should let them warm up before putting them to work its good practice.

That's a good point about the accel pump I don't know if that would cause the crappy running issue at first? The 359 and 357 carbs that go bad had accel pumps that fail.:confused:

Yes I let my saws warm up.
Sometimes it is just for the walk from the truck to the tree, sometimes a couple of minutes depending on the ambient temperature.
In the winter if a saw isn't stored inside a heated structure they need an especially long time for the bar oil to warm up so it will flow.
Revving a saw with frozen bar oil can damage the oil pumps on some saws and surely isn't "good" for any of them.

Mike

i start my saw when i get to the first tree ,walk the tree for lean and where on want it to lay and get to cutting. thats about all the warm up mine get.never had a problem and i use mine to make my living so i guess i wont be changing my habit any time soon,or later...jmtc

i always let mine warm up a bit,,i check it by the exhaust,,when it gets good and hot then i run it

Yes

I let my saws run of a couple minutes before any serious work. However if I have some little suckers or saplings to clear around the tree I 'll warm them at part throttle clearing the mess. But I always let them warn up before any WOT work. By the same token/reasoning I always let them cool down before shutting them off after any long runs of WOT work. But that's just me, I do the same thing with every thing I own that has a gas/diesel engine. :cheers:

Please people do a search on threads first, this has been beaten to death already. Sorry bout the rant!

Please people do a search on threads first, this has been beaten to death already. Sorry bout the rant!

Damn near every subject has been hashed over and over. Be a boring place if we all had to come up with something new or nothing at all.

Back