Todays date with the Redhead and the Yellow Slug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ottawa Valley, got some more cedar off the swamps, then it was off to cleanup some dead oaks and maples on the shore of the lake. 3' of snow and 3' of ice, and my beer didn't freeze, lovin it!

Ottawa Valley, got some more cedar off the swamps, then it was off to cleanup some dead oaks and maples on the shore of the lake. 3' of snow and 3' of ice, and my beer didn't freeze, lovin it!
Hamish, the only part of the post and picture I like is the beer didn't freeze. It's been raining for a couple days, snow is mostly gone except piles from the plows. I was cleaning up my splitting area yesterday when I found a little clump of snow under some cut offs. I jumped on it and squished it up till it ran off with the rest of the rain water. I'm about tired of the white stuff, Joe.

Geeze, when do you plan on digging out your mill? I figure we have 4 seasons. I want to find some place where each season is exactly 3 months, and move there, Joe.

The mill is in the barn, snow free, just all the logs are buried, yet starting to peek out from under the snow.

All the gold is hauled across the lake by the Yellow Slug and trailer, to be staged at the other end for pick up in the spring or summer with the tractor or truck.

Hamish, what are you doing to me? It was supposed to be in the upper 40's and rain all day. It was raining pretty heavy till the little ice balls started bouncing off everything. A couple hours ago it switched to snow flakes the size of golf balls, now it's a white out with a couple inches on the ground. My pass port is up to date, I might fly down to San Juan for a couple days, Joe.

Hamish...You fellers have some serious snow.
One of the VT USGS hydrologists was on local news the other day and said that the snow pack statewide was 2-3 feet. Then he warned of a serious potential of widespread flooding if we get a quick thaw. 5 - 10" of water in existing snow pack.

Hamish...You fellers have some serious snow.
One of the VT USGS hydrologists was on local news the other day and said that the snow pack statewide was 2-3 feet. Then he warned of a serious potential of widespread flooding if we get a quick thaw. 5 - 10" of water in existing snow pack.
I haven't shovelled snow in near a month and a half, I couldn't be happier. Its not serious snow, just snow. Flooding happens sometime, hence why we keep the good stuff on higher ground. After supper me and my boy are going to build another snowman and fort to ward off the evil powers of mud season.

This season it got cold and stayed cold, with snow from the get go. It made for many winter chores to become pointless, too hard on equipment and ones self as a part timer. Just making up for lost time. Besides I haven't had a bite since 17 Jan, but still hit the lake everyday just in case.

My USGS hydrologist/meteorologist told me the other day he don't know crap.

I rely on sticking my head outside to determine local weather conditions, much more accurate.

Another day in paradise, and my beer didn't freeze!

We had record snow falls here this winter, 114.5" right here, more north of here BUT, it's almost all gone now, any place the sun it hitting and I'm GLAD!

Sunny 50* here today! :)

SR

I spent a good part of the day chipping away a path thru 8 inches of ice, then some frost to stop the basement from flooding with the rains today.

Back