today's work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
this was a snag - goes for firewood.

working on a 5 acre thinning job that i started on saturday.
owner wants all the hackberries gone - they're small; 1"-7" DBH and they are everywhere!

all the leave trees are mature oaks and where needed - smaller oaks to fill in some space.

spacing is around 15ft or so. that way the landowner can brush hog it to keep the greenbriar in check.

this would be a good job for one of those forestry clearing saws... it'd get the work done twice as fast.

DSCN0632.jpg

DSCN0633.jpg

DSCN0635.jpg

DSCN0636.jpg

That is pretty far gone. Nice job lining up your cuts.
I know that you are already well aware of it, but at the risk of being redundant. Be careful of the tops in those trees. The shock of the face closing, even on a dutchman (like the block dutchman you posted earlier), can shake the top or limbs out. A smaller hinge does not shock the tree as much.
I have had a couple fall apart as they started to move forward and the balance changed.
Sometimes with advanced decay, it is best to throw a line in them and then cut them up and leave the stump then pull it over with the line.
The most important thing is to keep your wits about you and be smooth.

Whatcha gonna do with Hackberry?

Andy

burn it with the cedars and all the other junk
the hackberries grow like a weed

and if there are any good ones, save em... but most of them have snagged out tops - like a bad haircut

if it was me i'd save a few cedars when there's enough room.
but it's not my land, i just cut.

Last edited:
but it's not my land, i just cut.

A lesson I learned long enough ago... after I started cutting for a living, and moved from my first smart forestry marked cut good job to a high grade, sold to the landowners by boss as an "improvement cut", a complete injustice. But you got to get over it, its not our call unless its our land. Eventually, we can help with the silviculture, the interpretation of the prescription, but if you're hired to cut, you had dam well better be getting the wood on the ground before you start debating about how to cut the land. Good work FW

I cut a couple of hackberry Sat., and I still hate them. Down here they get all gnarly, w/ limbs 3/8 inch thick and 10 feet long, growing every direction. It's a mess limbing one out. And they get pithy real quick, not too good for firewood either. But they cut well, I used my little 260 and it walked right thru them with ease.

The last Hackberry I cut was about 30 years ago. It was in my Dad's front yard in N. Central Texas. After I started cutting we discovered that the once hollow center had been filled with concrete. What fun!:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Andy

The last Hackberry I cut was about 30 years ago. It was in my Dad's front yard in N. Central Texas. After I started cutting we discovered that the once hollow center had been filled with concrete. What fun!:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Andy

talk about kablooey!

this was a snag - goes for firewood.

working on a 5 acre thinning job that i started on saturday.
owner wants all the hackberries gone - they're small; 1"-7" DBH and they are everywhere!

all the leave trees are mature oaks and where needed - smaller oaks to fill in some space.

spacing is around 15ft or so. that way the landowner can brush hog it to keep the greenbriar in check.

this would be a good job for one of those forestry clearing saws... it'd get the work done twice as fast.

DSCN0632.jpg

DSCN0633.jpg

DSCN0635.jpg

DSCN0636.jpg

Just curious how do you get paid for the thinning.And whats done with the felled tree's?

Just curious how do you get paid for the thinning.And whats done with the felled tree's?

i get paid by the hour.

and any dead stuff good for firewood i get to sell and keep all the money.
any green stuff for firewood goes to the landowner.

some bug logs are kept and some bird of prey snags are left standing as long as the tractor doesn't bump into them.

the junk trees - small stuff (3"DBH or less) such as oaks, hackberries and cedars are pushed into a pile and burned.

hope that answered your question.
sorry for responding so late, i've been out of town.

Latest posts

Back