Tomorrows project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
I made myself a headache rack for the back of my 1/2ton Chevy outta some drop material at work. I've put 2 rear windows in, and DO NOT want to do 3.

Material is .090 (13 guage) cold rolled steel, Laser cut with a pattern I came up with over a few cold ones. Support brackets are also .090 1.5x2 formed channels. The reason for the split down the center is simple, that was what I had to use in the drop rack at work, and the price was right.

I'll post some more pics of welding it up and on the truck tomorrow night.

attachment.php

Sorry guys, did not get it welded up today, ran into a lot more work fixing the wedge on my splitter than expected. I'll try to get it done sometime this week though, and will get pics up as soon as possible.

Sorry guys, did not get it welded up today, ran into a lot more work fixing the wedge on my splitter than expected. I'll try to get it done sometime this week though, and will get pics up as soon as possible.

No hurry. It is just going on a chevy. lol

Just messing with you. Looks good so far.

Very Nice! One of these days I'm going to have to build one too. I hate replacing back windows.:cry:

It's about time!!!

Actually got it mostly done Friday night, posted everything Sat AM, clicked preview post, looked good, forgot to click post....arrrgh!

But anyway, I got it onto the truck today, so better to get a final idea on everything.

It is most definitely a prototype, found a few things I'd change before I made up another one, but it is functional. Hope to get a coat or two of spray bomb paint (to match the truck) on it this weekend. Bow tie pattern doesn't stand out as well as it looks in the pic, so I plan to paint that Chevy Orange, with the rest of it in black.

Don't laugh too hard at the welding, all I used was a little 110V 80 amp flux core welder, can't expect too much from a machine that uses the same plug in as a toaster! It was convenient to use in the nice warm basement instead of out in the cold garage with the stick welder, and I have no fear of it falling apart, just not the prettiest welds ever.

First one is starting the framework:
attachment.php

Next shows center brace in and one side of the main panel on:
attachment.php

Frame and cover assembled, ready to get mounted to the truck, with the big bad welder taking it's bow:
attachment.php

Final result on the truck. I didn't have a charged battery for the drill (I'm sure somewhere around here there's a corded drill, but I forget where) to put the permanent mounting bolts on, just used a couple leftover clamps off an old pickup topper till I take it back off for paint.
attachment.php

All in all, it's not perfect, but not too shabby for just being an idea a couple weeks ago.

Steve

Finally got it painted!

Couple of pics with paint - looks a bit better now, almost hate to throw wood at it - ALMOST
attachment.php

attachment.php

NICE HANDY-WORK :rockn:

BUT WHAT THE HECK IS .............

ALL THAT WHITE STUFF ??????:rockn:
It's a top secret chain sharpness preservative, only available generally in the northern states. Logs skidded across the stuff do not pick up mud, and a good base under the wood you're bucking will also help keep the bar out of the dirt below.

It is also well known for being a fairly good replacement for a cooler and ice for those cold ones after a day of cutting. :cheers:

It's a top secret chain sharpness preservative, only available generally in the northern states. Logs skidded across the stuff do not pick up mud, and a good base under the wood you're bucking will also help keep the bar out of the dirt below.

It is also well known for being a fairly good replacement for a cooler and ice for those cold ones after a day of cutting. :cheers:

Great explination!:givebeer:

Howdy Neighbors!

Nice job on the headache rack. I guess one of my faults is when I fab something, it works, but it looks like "Primitive Pete" :monkey: slammed it togeather on lunch-break! I'm not much on making things "Purdy". I do appreciate it when others do it though.

Back