Too Freaking Long!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Reaction score
Please! Help me settle an arguement - isn't a 36" bar too long for a 440? I say YES! 28" max, or shorter. Any responses would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!

A stock 044 with 36" bar is kinda like putting monster mudders on your S10, very little practicality, but it would be great for cutting spring poles under tension or sawing a piano in half.
It chokes me up when I see a lil powerhead with a gangley long bar, however West Coast fallers use them to cut above the flared butts of cedar in precarious positions, but talk about a grossly unbalanced unit.
John

Cool pic, Gypo! I once had to force a 20" bar on a '84 to finish off a stump - that sucker cut! If I can get a few more comments like that, maybe I can get this guy to finally believe me. then, alls I have to do is convince him to get a '66! He calls his '44 his 'big saw'. I call it a good firewood saw - gimme a '66 anytime for the big cuts!

ood point! Plus, I don't think the 044's bar mounts are up to the task
Why woudlnt they be? Afterall a 046, 066 and a 044 all share the same mounts. That said a 044 is perfect with a 24" bar. If you need a bigger bar than that look at a 046 or a 066.

I guess a 36 inch bar would be alright if you needed to catch up on some sleep while you were making the front cut. A 24 inch bar is pushing the limits of comfortable cutting..............Wade

for one job I put up with an 046 with a 30 inch bar, slow and the saw did struggle but that was all I had at that time ,An 044 will not run a 36inch properly.

I disagree!

I definately think a 36 is too long for an 044, but they can cut soft wood quite well with a 28 or even 30 inch bar. In the hard wood its a different story.IMHO.

It seems our friends on the West Coast tend to use the longer bar sizes as compared to a New York state sawyer.

A popular internet dealer from California lists bar options of 28 & 32 inches for the Jonny 2171 (similar weight & displacement to the Stihl 044).

Any thoughts as to why?

Mike

West coast = long bars because

If you ever go to the Madsens website the both the 044 and husky 372 are listed as usually equipped with 32 inch bars. While I think that is stretching it. west coast sawers use long bars because there is very large timber but it is all soft wood pine, fur ect very little hard wood is logged on the west coast. When I bumped knots I used an 046 with a 30 inch bar for the extra reach.

Re: I disagree!

Originally posted by sawfan
I definately think a 36 is too long for an 044, but they can cut soft wood quite well with a 28 or even 30 inch bar. In the hard wood its a different story.IMHO.
Yeah, I've had to ALAP Oak stumps up to 8' thick with this thing! Too much fun!!!:angry:

It seems there is always someone who says they have ran very long bars on an inadquately sized powerheads. ( 24 inch bars on 026s and such) I always assume the questioner is asking about what will work well, not what will just barely work.

The other big variable we see on the forum is hardwood country vs sofwood areas. Anothet variable is what a pro will accept as good performance and what the amature will be satisfied with.

Around here (central Illinois hardwood), a pro is going to want 80cc or more for a 24 inch bar. A fire wood cutter or tree remover guy might accept 70cc for a 24 inch bar. but they usually have a large saw (85cc up) for when its needed.

Howdy- us western types are lazy on steep slopes and run long bars that will reach all the way through the tree so we don't have to stumble around. I run a 30" on my 044 but I run a razor sharp square chain at all times. Fores fires are a different story, for felling burning snags you want a big saw with a LOOOONG bar so you can stand back from the tree and avoid getting red hot embers on your head and neck.

Latest posts

Back