Too Much Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthornton

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm clearing an area for a 30' x 50' equipment building and this is the wood pile and the rounds from that job.
logs.jpg

rounds.jpg

The logs are 9' long and the rounds are 18" long. Here is my problem, I have space to store about 3 cords of wood. I burn an average of 1 1/2 cords a winter. My wood rack is pretty empty right now so I can get maybe half of the rounds split and stacked under cover as soon as I'm done making a flat spot for the building. I'm in swamp east Missouri so lots of humidity during the summer months. I plan on milling some of the nicer 9' logs on my neighbors band saw mill and stacking that in the new equipment building but that is maybe 5-6 logs. Any suggestions on how to preserve this wood?

Thanks
JT

I'm clearing an area for a 30' x 50' equipment building and this is the wood pile and the rounds from that job.
logs.jpg

rounds.jpg

The logs are 9' long and the rounds are 18" long. Here is my problem, I have space to store about 3 cords of wood. I burn an average of 1 1/2 cords a winter. My wood rack is pretty empty right now so I can get maybe half of the rounds split and stacked under cover as soon as I'm done making a flat spot for the building. I'm in swamp east Missouri so lots of humidity during the summer months. I plan on milling some of the nicer 9' logs on my neighbors band saw mill and stacking that in the new equipment building but that is maybe 5-6 logs. Any suggestions on how to preserve this wood?

Thanks
JT
Get it CSS off the ground and cover the top. Will last indefinitely.

I'm trying to save some time and put off the CSS part for a while. Will the logs be OK stacked up till fall? Will pallets get the CSS high enough off the ground? I learned a new meaning for the acronym CSS, I'm an engineer/machinist/fabricator/etc and CSS to me is Constance Surface Speed.

Thanks
JT

Get the logs up off the ground and they will be fine for at least a few years. Even on the ground only the part of the log on the ground will get punky and that may even take a year or more

I'm trying to save some time and put off the CSS part for a while. Will the logs be OK stacked up till fall? Will pallets get the CSS high enough off the ground? I learned a new meaning for the acronym CSS, I'm an engineer/machinist/fabricator/etc and CSS to me is Constance Surface Speed.

Thanks
JT
Yes no problem letting them sit till fall. Wouldn't hurt to zip a line up the bark on each log to help the logs dry more.

The zip svk is talking about is cutting through the bark to open it up for moisture to escape.

The zip svk is talking about is cutting through the bark to open it up for moisture to escape.

Thanks for clearing that up, I'll do that when I re-stack them. I have them up on landscaping timbers so the bottom layer is 3-4" off the ground.

sounds like a real nice building... given ur trade - no doubt to be full of lathes, mills, drill presses, and various sundry of fab-type tools. hope u post up some in-progress pix and final layout, too. :)
The building is for my equipment and to free up space in my machine shop. So it will have tractors, backhoe, crawler w/6-way, splitter, side by side, etc. WOW I'll be able to park my truck in the carport now! Won't be able to start my dirt work for a few days... raining for second day now.

JT

All my wood goes on pallets and 1 is enough for me unless your stacking in a swamp.

I kinda thought so, as you can see from the photo of the rounds on pallets they are on high ground. I think I'll fill up my wood rack then start stacking CSS back onto the pallets. What would you guys cover that with?

Thanks
JT

The logs will last a long time as long they are left off the ground. I would not recommend cutting the bark on those that you plan on leaving alone for a while, the bark will protect them from moisture, the water getting in will speed up the rotten away process.

Latest posts

Back