Too Much Wood????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry wayne

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had the bright idea of splitting and burning my own wood.Then hadda guy trimmer who LOADED me up with about 60 cords.Took me about a full year in my spare time and some cheep labor.Then i read that it wont keep too long,and the hill-folks around here will NOT burn anything but hardwoods.That being said ,i ran a couple of adds,put up a dozen signs,gave some to relatives,still have 60 cords. HOW LONG WILL IT STAY GOOD BEFORE IT STARTS TO ROTT.Its all off the ground and left to dry real good,and about 1/2 of it it under roof.1/2 not.I am affraid that it will rot before i can burn it all@5-6 cord a year,besides ......i really liked that hard work.Lost about 15# this year.I do not want to sell my splitter in case of a blowdown or give away.......besides he's my friend now.About 1/4 of it is hardwood,the rest softer woods.Any info will be better than what i know.City kid,moved south lovin every min. of it too!!!! Ohh,am advertising at $110 per cord DELIVERED.DUMP TRAILER.CMON. CMON SELL SELL SELL

keep it off the ground and throw tarps over it.

it might last longer than you.

Yep if it's softwood good luck. People only burn it if they have nothing else round here. If it drys and you keep it that way you might get a couple seasons but after that the "goodness" is gone out of it.

What kind of wood is the softer woods? I'd use them up first while trying to sell some of it and hold onto the hardwoods.

I usually go down to Laurel Lake to go camping about once a year. I never catch many fish but I love the campground even though it's a lot harder to get a spot than what it used to. I think 1980 was the first time that I camped there and it was usually almost deserted.

Softer Woods

I Call Any Lightweight Wood Softer,all Pines,popular,you Can Just Tell Cause Of The Density And Wet Weight.really A City Boy,but Been At This For 2 1/2 Years.still Trying To I.d. Most Of What I Got ,,,,,not Too Much Worry Cause It All Burns,just Don't Want Too Lose 1/2 Of It.as For Cuttin The Price,will Be Hard To Do With Diesel Still @ 3.40 Gal.a Cord For $100 Dropped At Your Door.....man I Would Be All Over That.still May Have Too Anyhow.lotz O Hours In Those Sticks Man Lottttzzz.if It Doesn't Start Moving Soon ,i May Go To A Charitable Place And See About Get-tin It Outta Here.i Really Didn't Consider The Not Selling Part,bummer Really. On A Side Note,how Does One Get Those Pretty Gold Stars And Bars Next To Your Name.i Don't Post Alot,but Man This Site And Me Git Alott Of Info,it Really Gas Been A Great Place For New Cutters/old Ones Too....thanks Too All.opinions Varry Quite A Bit Here Also,so I Will Try To Be The Judge And See What This Stuff Looks Like In A Year Or Two.but Keep Em Commin,more Info The Better .experience Is The Best Way To Learn.

Somebody is going to be out of wood in the middle of winter and yours will be a good price, if you can hold out till then. Getting past the myth of "buning pine creosotes the chimney" isn't easy.

Somebody is going to be out of wood in the middle of winter and yours will be a good price, if you can hold out till then. Getting past the myth of "buning pine creosotes the chimney" isn't easy.

NOT BROKE......JUST WORRIED.HOPE YER RIGHT!

If you're thinking about giving it away to a charity, look around. There may be some old folks that burn wood but can't cut their own any more. They would probably force you to take some cookies or pie for giving wood to them though. (Hello missing 15 lbs!)

If anyone would worry about creosote, just tell them to crank the stove up for 30 min every other day. No worries then!

Bass Ackwards???

maybe you could package it and sell it to the campers for $5 a bundle of four sticks, the stars and bars are reserved for those that spend a lot of time on AS and not much time cuttin' wood:chainsawguy:

THAT SEEMS A LITTLE BASS ACKWARDS TO ME,THATS JUST ME.

Around here most soft wood are the evergreens, the leaf bearing trees with a few exceptions ( poplar, sassafras, etc ) are the hardwoods.. from what I've been reading an owb would eat them up..

:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back