Took a small step forward, to heating with wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwoller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The wife isnt quite ready for a insert yet. I was browsing clist and found a fireplace radiator for 50 bucks, I figured I'd give it a try and see how it does. I had gas logs in this fire place and pulled the logs and capped the line and installed it. I figured we might as well try to use some of the heat going up the chimney. I'll let you know how it goes.

DSC03219.jpg

I hope your chimney is rated for wood burning. Very important, and I would check ASAP. If you have chimney designed for gas you'll burn the liner out with wood burning. Once the liner is "breached" it'll turn into a house fire in mighty short order.

You probably already knew this, but maybe it'll help someone else who reads this post that doesn't.

Take care,
Marty

I've seen this set up before. I hope it works for you.

If you give us the dimensions of your fireplace, we'll direct you to various models/brands that would suit your needs and pocket book.

I had a similar setup, before I converted the fireplace I stopped at the company who installed it when we built the house. I have a Lennox zero clearance fireplace which had a gas setup installed in it. By code, it has to be installed as a wood burning fireplace using the proper vent pipe and clearances. The venting pope ISN'T rated for a wood stove or insert, but the installers said the fireplace doesnt get the flue temps of a stove.

Just my .02 cents

Dave

Latest posts

Back