Took down another Ash!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is great to burn. It is even better on the sawmill! Makes some nice strong boards, great for trailer or wagon decking, or milled into flooring. Some day when it is all gone and people are looking for ash flooring we will think back and say Dang, I burned all that!

Have you actually milled any beetle killed ash? I'm no expert on milling but I was just wondering if the return would be worth profit. I know the ash I cut in april is dry enough to burn now. Also would the holes the borer leaves in it be of any concern? I guess we could call it wormy ash or maybe holy ash. I know it is a sad thing to see them all dying and it would be nice to be able to find a better use of them.

Thanks Ron.

I have read that the EAB lays its eggs on the bark and the larva bores through the bark. That's what disrupts the transfer of water and nutrients and eventually kills the tree. I havent seen any holes bored through the wood itself. I think the wood should still be usable for lumber? Anyone else know for sure?

Yea, EAB stays just under the bark. I've been dropping ash trees on my property all year. No end in sight. If it's not dead now it will be. You can see them get thinner each year with less and less leaves. At least it's good firewood.

I've been cutting dead ash from my property and the non wood burning neighbours place for 12 years now. Seems 90% of the ash we had is finlly fully dead. The EAB doesn't bore holes in the tree one would use for lumber, If peel the bark off you can see the tracks left just under the bark by the bore. You also have to watch out for those big black ants in some of the dead stuff.

Nearly all the big ash on my place did a I'm dieing last ditch seed production and drop. I have thousands of ankle high seedlings as does the neighbour now. I have been wondering for some time is the EMB left the area after all the trees were finally dead? I've asked at the USDA office and they don't have an answer. I know when I first started cutting them I would find the bettles in the haul trailer and wood pile, Haven't seen a bettle in about 5 years now though.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

:D Al

Ya I have seen the tracks under the bark! The tree I took down was full of ants at the bottom! In the cracks where the stump split into four is where they were! I cut the stump into about 8 peices and left it there. I didn't want to bring that home!

Here are some pics of the ones coming down this winter. I can count 15 within 100 yards of my house. None are on my property though. There are two big and tall ones just inside the woods at the back of my property that have just lost there leaves! These two are straight with no branches for the first 30 feet or so. Might see if anyone around has a portable mill and try to mill them. All else will be good firewood!
View attachment 315729View attachment 315730

Got to thinking about the EAB and the demise of the ash trees. Wonder if it is effecting the white ash in Northern Maine? When I lived there some of the Native Indians in the state used the Ash trees exclusively for making baskets. Fascinating craft where they would cut down smaller ash trees, cut them into pole lengths then beat them with a sledge to align the grain of the wood. They would peel the bark then take draw knives and slice strips of the wood to form long ribbons of thin wood for their basket weaving. For some families it was a primary source of yearly income. The various baskets they made were beautiful. I have two pack baskets, and a fishing basket that were made for me as gifts. Sure hope some of ash trees can somehow survive the onslaught of the EAB. and ultimately make a comeback. I can find other wood species to burn for firewood but the Maine Indians I believe were dependent on the ash trees for their basket making.

I've been cutting dead ash from my property and the non wood burning neighbours place for 12 years now. Seems 90% of the ash we had is finlly fully dead. The EAB doesn't bore holes in the tree one would use for lumber, If peel the bark off you can see the tracks left just under the bark by the bore. You also have to watch out for those big black ants in some of the dead stuff.

Nearly all the big ash on my place did a I'm dieing last ditch seed production and drop. I have thousands of ankle high seedlings as does the neighbour now. I have been wondering for some time is the EMB left the area after all the trees were finally dead? I've asked at the USDA office and they don't have an answer. I know when I first started cutting them I would find the bettles in the haul trailer and wood pile, Haven't seen a bettle in about 5 years now though.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

:D Al

I have wondered the same thing. What happens to the little buggers when they eat their way out of house & home. You would think that once they destroy every Ash tree in the area and move on, eventually they will run out of Ash trees. And they do move on and spread quick. I have not seen one of the the little Emerald Green Ash borers for a couple years now it seems.

Ash is just about all I have cut in the last 5 years. Have cut some Oak as well, but dead or dieing Ash trees have kept me busy. I noticed that they do deteriorate fairly quickly too, once they are dead. Its a shame to see it happening, but not much you can do about it. Every where I drive around here, I find myself just gawking at all the woodlots & fence rows, yard trees, etc. full of dead Ash trees. There is gonna be a lot of wasted excellent wood just rotting away out there.

Its kinda scary also that a lot of healthy appearing Oaks here have succumbed to some kind of Wilt, Blight, bug or something also. Not as bad or fast as the Ash problem though. One of these days there won't be any decent trees left. I havn't noticed any problems with Hickory or Maple trees as of yet. But I'm sure its just a matter of time. :mad:

Gregg,

Last edited:
going to drop an ash today.

i have about 20 of them in the back yard....with three huge ones marked to come down. neighbor must have at least 100 growing in his yard.

i read that in 10 years there won't be any ash trees left in america cuz of that beetle

Yes, I have milled and used it. The holes are very small, and usually just around the outer edges of the tree as explained. The boards are straight grained, hard, and can take a beating without shattering like some oak does. Trailer decking comes out great. Ash flooring is also really popular in some areas. I hope to do my house when I get around to it.

going to drop an ash today.

i have about 20 of them in the back yard....with three huge ones marked to come down. neighbor must have at least 100 growing in his yard.

i read that in 10 years there won't be any ash trees left in america cuz of that beetle

And there is a fungus in the UK and Europe that is obliterating the ash trees there. Which means eventually the fungus will show up in the US.

Ash dieback disease found in 500 areas a year after first outbreak | Mail Online

Ash trees just might become extinct soon..meaning remaining stocks of ash boards, etc might become quite valuable.

No evidence of beetles in the dead ash near me, definitely a moss/fungus on it though, hmm.

I've just cut down 3 more beautiful ash standing dead for firewood. I feel bad splitting it all up as it would make some great boards on the mill, but I need more firewood right now more than anything..

Latest posts

Back