Took down my favorite Hickory (photos)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice!

W/o having any measuments, I'd guess you probably have close to 1.5 cords in that tree. Dont forget to get the rest of that stump as well... ;)

Just measured it

W/o having any measuments, I'd guess you probably have close to 1.5 cords in that tree. Dont forget to get the rest of that stump as well... ;)

It's 28" in diameter. The stump is already cut at 5" above the ground (you bet I want that stump!)...thanks for your estimate. I just spoke with my logger I have 9 cords of Oak coming next week (grapple load 22' lengths...I'll post photos when it comes). I'm looking forward to cutting throughout the whole spring to avoid the heat.....Hey isn't that the reason I'm cutting in the first place?:chainsaw:

Good looking stump. You know how to fell a tree! Don't you hate to lose a good tree, I sure do.
especially the ones we put in. I still miss my big bradford...Lanny

I'll wish it was hollow

I think the highest BTU part is the hollow black "log" leaning against the wall.:jawdrop:
Kidding!!!

By the time I'm done with it I'll be wishing it was hollow. Those pieces with the brown heartwood are like boulders. All I can say is thank God for my hydraulic splitter. I might cut and split it Thursday. I just found out yesterday that I also have a grapple load of Oak coming next week.

Shame but beautiful firewood. My Brother lives in western Mass, just on the NY State border and every time I get down there, I marvel at all the hardwood you got down there. :cheers:

Zodiac

You're right when I go up north a couple hundered miles the species change. We have more Oak, Maple, Hickory on the ground right now than we can burn for years. Our ice storm in December broke millions of trees here. In a few years I expect some serious wildfires here and in North Central Mass. due to the amount of dead trees that will be standing. Over the next two years I am cutting back my woodline away from the house in anticipation.

You're right when I go up north a couple hundered miles the species change. We have more Oak, Maple, Hickory on the ground right now than we can burn for years. Our ice storm in December broke millions of trees here. In a few years I expect some serious wildfires here and in North Central Mass. due to the amount of dead trees that will be standing. Over the next two years I am cutting back my woodline away from the house in anticipation.

Yep the last time I went down was Christmas/New Years. There was just miles of damage along that stretch of the Mass pike between Westfield and Lee! Seemed like every tree had broken bits and scars everywhere. Ice followed by high winds is killer.

You're right when I go up north a couple hundered miles the species change.

The extreme northern limit of hickory is about 30 miles to the south of me. It's really quite striking seeing the transition of species. Maybe I'll change my user profile location to "30 miles north of where hickory goes to die."

I got no gripes with the hardwood available to me, however. Beech, ash, maples, birches, red oak. They're all quite abundant.

A friend of mine lives about 15 miles from the Quebec border. All he's got is red maple. He likes to say that oak is stinky wood and unfit for burning indoors.

I just tell him he's jealous. :cheers:

Paxton

Some pics I took a couple weeks back in Scooter's neck of the woods:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=93005

And those don't do full justice. Granted there's a lot not as bad as these photos...but there were other places that make these look mild.

You took those in Paxton. They got wailed....the storm was all about altitude, I'm at 700 ft...everything from 600 feet and up got nailed... Paxton is around 1000 ft ASL...that whole area is a complete mess and will present some massive fire risks for years to come....Just wait for a nasty thunderstorm in June 2012!

the storm was all about altitude, I'm at 700 ft...everything from 600 feet and up got nailed

You ain't kidding.

I brought some firewood up to my sister that Sunday in Worcester. Very minor damage in her area, just some electric services like hers that had been knocked down, and what ice they got had already melted. But you could see the line along the hills where the heavy damage suddenly started, and they were still encased in ice.

I want to get up to Wachusett one of these weekends to see what the damage is like up there.

I-190

Take a ride up I-190 North of Worcester once you getup past Holden into Sterling it's unreal, EVERY tree is broken. Rte 2 from Fitchburg to Gardner was hit hard as well.

Wow. Yeah, I have too. I haven't gotten north of the road that runs by the State Police barracks in Holden yet...can't remember what route that is.

I was looking through my forest fire notes tonite on another topic, and found this picture from the '38 Hurricane:

pulldown_trees.jpg

Scarey how much that looks like the pic I took on the reservoir road!

you know the fire is gonna happen, environmentalists won't let anyone touch half the trees...............even the dead ones...............

Gotta love the hippes

you know the fire is gonna happen, environmentalists won't let anyone touch half the trees...............even the dead ones...............

We'll cut them...thing is we just don't tell anyone. Holden and N Worcester have the ALB infestation and are a USDA quarantine zone...No wood Out! I just hope everyone adheres to it...we don't want this thing out...they attack healthy maples, ash, box, etc.

I have an original magazine insert from hurricane of '38 from the Worcester Telegram...the damage is catastrophic. The old timers have some stories about power out for 2 months. It's only a matter of time till we get socked again.

Latest posts

Back