Took down my favorite Hickory (photos)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scootermsp

Scootermsp

ArboristSite Guru
In December our ice storm broke the entire crown off a beautiful Hickory in my front yard. After cutting I counted the rings...it was approximately 125-130 years old. There was barbed wire from about 100 years ago (the black arc in the stump), I owe my buddy a 36" skip chain :-( This tree should heat my house for 3 weeks in December.:chainsaw:

How much wood in this one? Hoping for a cord.

Last edited:
WVwoodsman

WVwoodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
:agree2: It looks like at least a cord & 1/2 or possibly more! Great burning wood too, thanks for sharing the pics.

Scootermsp

Scootermsp

ArboristSite Guru
I will

Nice job, I think that looks like well over a cord of wood. What type of hickory is that, mockernut? Let us know when you have it all split and stacked how much wood it was.

I will be splitting and stacking it alone this week, when I have it done I'll post more photos of only that tree stacked and give it's cu/ft.

wdchuck

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ok, someone help out a newbie please. What does "dbh" mean??

d=diameter
b=breast
h=height

'diameter at breast height'

Generally, by that height, all flare has evened out. Next time you look at trees in a wet area, some will flare out to provide more support for the tree.

Latest posts