Took down my favorite Hickory (photos)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scootermsp

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
In December our ice storm broke the entire crown off a beautiful Hickory in my front yard. After cutting I counted the rings...it was approximately 125-130 years old. There was barbed wire from about 100 years ago (the black arc in the stump), I owe my buddy a 36" skip chain :-( This tree should heat my house for 3 weeks in December.:chainsaw:

How much wood in this one? Hoping for a cord.

Last edited:
Wow. That's cool. Good job!!!! I've found a lot of barbed wire in several trees this winter cleaning out a pasture!! Luckly it hasn't ruined any chains...

Nice big tall hickory, and excellent Fall !!!! Congrats on all the wood, should keep you warm next year for sure.

How much wood?

My buddy who helped me out said it should be at least a full cord. What do you guys think?:greenchainsaw:

Well over a cord there by my eyeball.

Rule of thumb numbers I've seen are 22" dbh = 1 cord per tree on average, 16" dbh = 1/2th cord per tree, 8" = 1/10th cord per tree

Nice job, I think that looks like well over a cord of wood. What type of hickory is that, mockernut? Let us know when you have it all split and stacked how much wood it was.

:agree2: It looks like at least a cord & 1/2 or possibly more! Great burning wood too, thanks for sharing the pics.

I will

Nice job, I think that looks like well over a cord of wood. What type of hickory is that, mockernut? Let us know when you have it all split and stacked how much wood it was.

I will be splitting and stacking it alone this week, when I have it done I'll post more photos of only that tree stacked and give it's cu/ft.

Ok, someone help out a newbie please. What does "dbh" mean??

d=diameter
b=breast
h=height

'diameter at breast height'

Generally, by that height, all flare has evened out. Next time you look at trees in a wet area, some will flare out to provide more support for the tree.

d=diameter
b=breast
h=height

'diameter at breast height'

Generally, by that height, all flare has evened out. Next time you look at trees in a wet area, some will flare out to provide more support for the tree.

Thanks folks.

Back