took some pics messing around.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWCS

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hey all, did some climbing today in my spare screw around time with a friends 084. now everybody can see the face behind the odd nickname. even wore my PPE so i wouldnt get yelled at too much! *grin*

i didnt do any cutting or even start the saw.. just wanted to see if i could climb with that heavy bugger..

http://homepages.tscnet.com/dedcow/busyday/

boots are Currins bought at a local boot shop, they cost me $599
suckers sure are comfy for climbing! they were better built than the wescos i looked at, full steel plate in the sole, no flex or pressure from the gaffs.
feels just like im standing on the ground!

i really need a new lanyard... that one is actually a pole strap, not proper tree gear. kept me out of the speed climb at my first logging show cause it was way too short! on that tree its at max length and very restrictive.
also need to get more money to order some books about rigging and arborist gear. must learn more! :)

yep.. 600 bucks.. got them about 4 years ago.. want to know whats worse? this is only about the 9th time ive climed with them. i had the money burning a hole in my pocket.. had to have them.. but every time i climb im glad i have em! fully rebuildable and hand made. leather on these things is THICK stuff!

I have a pair of Wesco's that I've had rebuilt once. I stopped wearing those big boots years ago, it feels too much like walking around on Jupiter!

kf_tree said:
i see people wearing boots like that all the time.............walking around the east village. :p

Hmmm, somehow I never thought of the East Village as a hangout for tree professionals. Curious. :blob2:

climbing boots

I am a lineman apprentice, utility poles are a bit harder than a living tree, cedar poles being the exception, I climb with Sportiva Mountain's they are a full steel shank boot, usually found for less than $300. They have replaceable vibram soles , just like wesco's. I tried Wesco's they hurt my feet bad, Sportiva's feel like stiff tennis shoes, although they are hotter than hell, most are designed with ice climbing in mind.

Back in my pole climbing days,I wore redwing 12" linemans boots,at about $150 a pop,some 20 or so years ago.I still wear redwings,but not linemans boots,with steel arch supports ,thanks to those hooks,ladders and concrete floors,ugh.

Hey Al

From your 20 years out of the biz description linework sure hasn't changed much.

GOBRDGO said:
From your 20 years out of the biz description linework sure hasn't changed much.
My IBEW ticket says Journeyman inside wireman,but we did a bit of line work,most from a bucket.I was one of the dipsticks that did a bit of climbing.It's all bull work.The last I used my hooks was '86 or '87,short run of 34.5 on 50 ft blackjacks.They've been residing on a nail in my shed,every since. :)

Latest posts

Back