Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dad passed in '82' and left me all his shop tools. I cherish them all, but some really stand out. Like this Old Acetylene Torch.
The one I'm using is a Modern Engineering Company (Meco) with a unique side mount oxygen lever. No one makes them in that style anymore.
img02101.jpg

It had a (Smith) Oxygen Regulator that I replaced with a (Harris) Regulator.
The Acetylene side has an old (Victor) Regulator which I polished up a little so as it wouldn't look too bad.
fulltanks0031.jpg

The Striker is a FORNEY . I think they're out of business now. This thing was pitch black from Dad's years of use. It took some elbow grease to get it clean again.
50yroldforneystriker1.jpg

forney1.jpg

Now I'm getting old and I doubt if my sons give a hoot about this stuff.

To all -
I love all the old stuff! Especially the items whose owners take the time to 'bring them back from the dead' and take ongoing care of them! :rock: :rock:

Thread Information

You fellas have made this Tool Forum Thread a big success!Great to see members stopping by and posting that haven't in the past.I can vision this thing really taking off,especially with answers to questions some of us just don't know.It's really something that people in the know on a certain topic will take the time to answer a question and share there knowledge!
Thanks for doing that!
Lawrence

Air Compressor- ProMac

ProMac I really got sticker shock when I saw the price tag of your new compressor.I'm pretty sure you couldn't touch that up here in British Columbia for that price.
Lawrence

Nice Grinder you got there, Bob.
Wish my Shop was as tidy as your's. I need to do some housecleaning so I can get around.:msp_biggrin::clap:

ProMac I really got sticker shock when I saw the price tag of your new compressor.I'm pretty sure you couldn't touch that up here in British Columbia for that price.
Lawrence

I was surprised too. 438 bucks for a beast like this. At first, I thought it was too good to be true and figured maybe it was a POS. Did lots and lots of research on them, and turns out that they are made by Campbell-Hausfeld. Great company with good stuff. It is basically the same as this compressor, just the blue one has a little less hp and is a fair bit more expensive...Product - Cast Iron Compressor, 3 Running HP, 60 Gal. - from Campbell Hausfeld

Thank God for Home Depot, and for them keeping that compressor in production so I could get my paws on it. I dunno if it's possible to bring one back up to Canada if you bought it on a 'vacation' but it might be worth a shot. :) Hmm... might go see about wiring it up this weekend. I really want to run it and see how well it works with the air sander. :)

Also, the manual recommends that the oil be changed after about 30-45 minutes of run time (break-in run time) and replaced with either a specific synthetic compressor pump oil, non detergent SAE 30, or a quality synthetic. I got Valvoline Synpower full synthetic. Sure, it was 'expensive' but one quart will last a couple of oil changes on the pump.

Holy :censored: Bob, that's gotta be the biggest single cylinder compressor pump I've ever seen!! :jawdrop:

How does it run? It sure looks like it will last forever.

Delta tools are some of the best. I wonder what the first one I'll get will be.

Here's my old General grinder. I gotta move it onto a stand of some kind. I'd have to build the stand, but it'd be worth it, as this grinder coupled with a 3/4 hp motor would be hard to stop with what I am normally grinding.

attachment.php

Got this from my late grandpa. (not to be confused with the one that still roams around down in Texas)

Nice Grinder you got there, Bob.
Wish my Shop was as tidy as your's. I need to do some housecleaning so I can get around.:msp_biggrin::clap:
These things happen as you get older and 'aquire' stuff.
I know where most things are, but many thing have hiding places in there. Same story at the cabin!!!:D
I find at my age I spend a lot of time searching!!!
Grinder is 1hp!!! Had to have it, have never seen anyhing that big for sale cheap, took a few hours to get the aluminum and brass out of the wheels and then dress them.
Promac the compressor is a 50's or 60's Brunner, I could not live without it now, it is quite quiet, cuts out @150psi.

Last edited:
Ultrasonic cleaner.

I kinda thought of this possibility ... would naturally need to be in some sort of solvent. My concerns would be that maybe the cleaner/solvent combo would allow the crud to get deeper in some places? :popcorn:

That's what I was thinking... problem is, I don't have one yet. :(

Solvent, it'd have to be friendly to the varnish and whatnot that keeps those windings from contacting each other and shorting out.

I thought carb cleaner at first, but remember that it does a real good job getting rid of varnish...

Maybe boil it in a pan with soapy water? I has a pan. :)

P.S. Sagetown, and others that are worried about where the old tools go, we can take care of them. :cheers: I know how you feel about your tools... I simply cherish the old, classic, and indestructible stuff that gets it done, and well too.

Last edited:
BigBadBob ~ These things happen as you get older and 'aquire' stuff.
I know where most things are, but many thing have hiding places in there. Same story at the cabin!!!
I find at my age I spend a lot of time searching!!!
Yep! and the older I get the more I'm concerned about the here after. I walk in the shop and the 1st thing I think is "What am I here after ?".

I used to work with them big 10" commercial grinders. They are nice.

Bob that's a real skookum stand for the grinder.Nice job!
Wonder if you could put a flex shaft on the Dumore grinder?I would think you could as it has a chuck.I was thinking of trying to put a chuck on an old Rockwell trim router I have and then a flex shaft on it.I have a flex shaft that I use off of a Baldor electric motor but the RPM's are not that fast.
Lawrence

Bob that's a real skookum stand for the grinder.Nice job!
Wonder if you could put a flex shaft on the Dumore grinder?I would think you could as it has a chuck.I was thinking of trying to put a chuck on an old Rockwell trim router I have and then a flex shaft on it.I have a flex shaft that I use off of a Baldor electric motor but the RPM's are not that fast.
Lawrence
Not sure I want a flex shaft turning 22,000 RPM.:dizzy:

On the commutators... are they supposed to have continuity between them? Also, they have continuity between the big armature bars and the little commutators. I don't recall of that means it's bad or good. So far, I am fairly happy. The trigger slide plate needs to be fixed though.

attachment.php

I'm thinking JB weld or superglue? If superglue would work fine, I'd rather use that since I already have some around and wouldn't need to go to the store to get JB weld.

My buddy Josh puts armatures in a shaker tank with ceramic beads and it's all washed with mineral spirits. Mineral spirits isn't nasty enough to hurt your parts, just lightly clean it with a plastic bristled brush and a bit of spirits -- then blow it all of with air.

The com looks good, but can be put in a lathe and polished lightly with emery cloth. . . A light touch goes a long way. The com bars are connected to the armature windings, and as long as the windings don't have a short, and the com bars aren't melted, or aren't grooved too deep, it's good to go.

The com bars have insulation in between each bar to keep them all separate to work correctly with the fields. If the insulation is there, again, you have a (most likely) perfectly good tool.

Not sure what that material is in your pic? Bakelite? I'd recommend a good cleaning and healthy amount of JB for it if I was doing it.

EDIT: Let me call Josh tomorrow and confirm the Mineral spirits thing before you do it, just to make sure I'm remembering right. :)

Last edited:
Air Tools

If I was to compare my tool inventory to some that you guys have it would be pretty small indeed and that's just my Canadian friends on here.But a thought occurred to me the other day while putting in my 12th hour tidying up the garage.Do you have too many tools if you can't remember what you have?I was cleaning under the workbench yesterday and pulled out a silver toolbox,I remember buying it at a garage sale, empty.Well it seemed a little heavy for an empty box so when I opened it up what a bonus to find an older 1/2 inch impact wrench, Campbell Hausfeld Heavy Duty made in the USA and it's in real nice shape too.Forgot I even bought the thing.Also found a Jet air hammer,which I really don't know what you use the air hammer for,but maybe you guys can fill me in on it's uses.Also I have been running the air compressor a few times to check it out,it cuts out at 125psi then it drops to 120 and seems to sit there at that pressure.that's okay is it not?
Thanks
Lawrence

Do you have too many tools if you can't remember what you have?

I have accumulated many tools at garage sales, etc., that I put aside, forget I have, and rediscover. It's only really embarrassing if you go out and purchase something that you already have.

I have been posting things on Craig's List to get rid of stuff that I do not use or that is in the way.

Air hammer or air chisel? Depending upon what type of tool you put in the end it can be used to cut sheet metal, break apart masonry, drive rivets, scrape up old tile, etc.

Philbert

I have accumulated many tools at garage sales, etc., that I put aside, forget I have, and rediscover. It's only really embarrassing if you go out and purchase something that you already have.

I have been posting things on Craig's List to get rid of stuff that I do not use or that is in the way.

Air hammer or air chisel? Depending upon what type of tool you put in the end it can be used to cut sheet metal, break apart masonry, drive rivets, scrape up old tile, etc.

Philbert

Would you happen to have an air hammer with chisels? I would like to get my paws on one for a deal. (I am a cheap ass, tell by the price of the compressor? :D)

If I was to compare my tool inventory to some that you guys have it would be pretty small indeed and that's just my Canadian friends on here.But a thought occurred to me the other day while putting in my 12th hour tidying up the garage.Do you have too many tools if you can't remember what you have?I was cleaning under the workbench yesterday and pulled out a silver toolbox,I remember buying it at a garage sale, empty.Well it seemed a little heavy for an empty box so when I opened it up what a bonus to find an older 1/2 inch impact wrench, Campbell Hausfeld Heavy Duty made in the USA and it's in real nice shape too.Forgot I even bought the thing.Also found a Jet air hammer,which I really don't know what you use the air hammer for,but maybe you guys can fill me in on it's uses.Also I have been running the air compressor a few times to check it out,it cuts out at 125psi then it drops to 120 and seems to sit there at that pressure.that's okay is it not?
Thanks
Lawrence

Pics please? I may be interested. :)

Back