Tools for amateur saw mechanic?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L.R.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, all. More n00b questions for you: What special tools would you say are most important when working on saws? I'm thinking rev counter, pressure gauge and multimeter. Is anything else really important too have around?

/LR

Compression tester (quality)
T-27 driver for Stihl (several different ones)
Metric hex drivers for Husky (I like T- handles)
GOOD 8mm deep socket for removing mufflers and carbs
Old piece of starter rope for piston stop
Orange Stihl screwdriver for carb adjusting, crud removal, and general ops.
Good scrench that fits Husky and Stihl bar nuts
Needle nose pliers or hemostats for fuel line changes
Magnetic flat-blade screw holder for older Stihl servicing
Feeler gauges for setting points and coil air gap
Containers and funnels for temporary storing fluids during service
At least one good chain file for each size chain

Until you have all of the above covered, you can skip that rev counter. Everyone wants to have one around, but most guys only use them once in a while. Modders use them more, but for general repair work you really only need it once in a while. Multi meter is nice, and you can probably find one at a pawn shop for around $10

Until you have all of the above covered, you can skip that rev counter. Everyone wants to have one around, but most guys only use them once in a while. Modders use them more, but for general repair work you really only need it once in a while. Multi meter is nice, and you can probably find one at a pawn shop for around $10

+1, and an understanding wife or GF. Of course that is optional.

:givebeer:

UH-OH, 666 posts. Oh crap, hope the wife doesn't read this.

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Last edited:

Good list! I would only add flat files (raker adjustment), a pressure/vacuum test setup, and a small bright flashlight. Also I like to keep zip-lock bags around. I have a bunch already labeled for most parts of the saw. That way, when I am taking something appart (like handle, flywheel cover, intake, carb, etc) I just put the parts/screws into the already labeled bags. Makes getting the correct screws back where they belong in short order when it comes time to put it all back together.

The only thing I would add is a hook and pic set. They are great for cleaning in tight places, and pulling o-rings.

So far the guys have made an excelent list... I also recomend a well lit area, and i like to use jars and jar lids for screws and pices, Also sharpies are always handy for marking stuff. a battery powered impact gun is emensly handy as well. I have found that a parts washer if you are doing alot of rehabs is pretty nice also... you can get a good sized parts washer from Tractor Supply for $100 + Fluid...

Tool List

Yep, good list so far. The most conspicuous thing missing for me would be an air compressor -- primarily for cleaning purposes vs. tool operation. A $99 125 psi 3 gallon Craftsman should suit the purpose well.

And lots o' rags!!!

Then there's the YF's dishwasher, but that can actually be a VERY expensive tool once you're in the dog house for using it to clean parts and have to buy her off with new furniture or something to get out from under the heat!:cheers:

Oh, and a solid vise.

Good luck accumulating your stuff. That's part of the fun, too.:)

Poge

Last edited:
Large ball peen hammer to get those dern flywheels off:dizzy: :note: also can be used to truely fix a stihl by beating until nothing resembles a chainsaw part:laugh:

Thank you all for your input, it turns out the only thing I'm missing from all the suggestions is that magnetic flat-blade screw holder for older Stihl servicing, so I can go ahead and get that rev counter? I live alone, so I use my dishwasher any way I please, and work on my saws at the kitchen table!

Jokes aside, I take your point on it being somewhat of a luxury, I just thought carb setting might be easier with a rev counter since I'm new to working on saws, particularly (Have worked on cars and bikes).

Thanx all for adding to the list everyone else, and remember tool collecting is not an addiction, it is simply being prepared for when you need that special tool once in your life. Some of us just like to be very, VERY prepared...

/LR

I would add a cheap digital camera, to show yourself how it looked before you took it apart (sometimes helps at reassembly time), and to show us how you made out. I'm a visual learner and find a pic much easier to comprehend than detailed text descriptions.

I would add a cheap digital camera, to show yourself how it looked before you took it apart (sometimes helps at reassembly time), and to show us how you made out. I'm a visual learner and find a pic much easier to comprehend than detailed text descriptions.

Excellent suggestion!!!

As for the tach, it's a nice item to have and essential for tuning to stock specs if you haven't developed you "ear tuning" skills yet.

Poge

Excellent post guys. I am a novice mechanic as well and this post has been much appreciated. I'm off to grab some more tools! :clap:

My top five:
Purple cleaner(not really a tool, but quite important)
Pressure tester
Vac tester
Micrometer
Feeler gauges

I would add a magnet on a flexible shaft for fishing that :censored: piston circlip that's now down in the corner behind the crank counterweight where my fingers don't fit out.

Good list! I would only add flat files (raker adjustment), a pressure/vacuum test setup, and a small bright flashlight. Also I like to keep zip-lock bags around. I have a bunch already labeled for most parts of the saw. That way, when I am taking something appart (like handle, flywheel cover, intake, carb, etc) I just put the parts/screws into the already labeled bags. Makes getting the correct screws back where they belong in short order when it comes time to put it all back together.

Dude, just throw the parts in a pile and put the thing back together! lol

Back