Tools for amateur saw mechanic?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will this work for the T-27 ?

6 Piece Offset Star Drive Wrench Set
ITEM # 42926

These T-handles deliver extra power when using Torx fasteners
Chrome vanadium steel
Rugged PVC handles
Sizes: T-10, T-15, T-20, T-25, T-30 and T-40

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-offset-star-drive-wrench-set-42926.html

the t-25 will work... but you run a risk of stripping it... can be very risky given the ones that are highest torque are the hardest to get to... the jug/cyl I picked up a set of craftsmans for $35 and they had the t27...

the t-25 will work... but you run a risk of stripping it... can be very risky given the ones that are highest torque are the hardest to get to... the jug/cyl I picked up a set of craftsmans for $35 and they had the t27...
Thanks - Will the tox bits that fit in a 1/4 in drive socket with a 1/4 in extension work, or are the cylinder holes too small to get the socket adapter through?
9 Piece Star Bit Socket Set - 1/4" and 3/8" Square Drives
ITEM # 91238

Heavy duty chrome vanadium steel sockets
Includes clip rail for easy storage
1/4'' drive square drive: T-10, T-15, T-20, T-25, and T-27
3/8'' square drive: T-30, T-40, T-45, T-50
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piec...-and-3-8-eighth-inch-square-drives-91238.html

Thanks - Will the tox bits that fit in a 1/4 in drive socket with a 1/4 in extension work, or are the cylinder holes too small to get the socket adapter through?
9 Piece Star Bit Socket Set - 1/4" and 3/8" Square Drives
ITEM # 91238

Heavy duty chrome vanadium steel sockets
Includes clip rail for easy storage
1/4'' drive square drive: T-10, T-15, T-20, T-25, and T-27
3/8'' square drive: T-30, T-40, T-45, T-50
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piec...-and-3-8-eighth-inch-square-drives-91238.html

unfortunatley, they will not work either, the holes that go down through the jug are just big enough for a t27 shaft, nothing more... Not even stihls t27 scrench that comes with their trimmers works...

I've been looking for long t27's for my battery powered impact that uses the 1/4" hex drive... no joy yet... but havnt looked very hard either...

Here is a pic of an 066 Cylinder w various t-27's in it... You can see the issue...

attachment.php

I would add some cheap small zip-loc baggies and permanent market to "bag and tag" items. A old metal coffee can with lid to soak stuff in kerosene as a degreaser....

God I feel like a fool, I've been the last 4 reply's to this thread... I just keep coming up w more ideas and stuff while i'm in my barn today...

this is another handy item... it is so you can pull the nuts on your fly whele by jamming the cylinder... $5 from baileys

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There is some great suggestions here,I would add a :

Magnetic parts tray
Damaged thread file
Tap and die with correct root drills/regular drill bits
Good selection of cold "beverages" when buddies help out
Radio
Die grinder and cutters/stones/sanding for port work.

I agree with every tool in this post. A compressor in my opinion is invaluable I just got one about 2 months ago and have never stopped using it.

This is what I use for a T-27. It is a Snap on 3\8 drive long torx key. On my after market BB I have to cut some of the fins to make it reach but for everything else its great.
attachment.php

You will also need a ring compressor kit like this from Baileys.......http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=10429&catID=233

Handy dandy and I have one, but a trimmed to size yogurt cup or a pair o' zip ties works great too. (Not my idea, but sure as hell works just as good.)

As for the threaded piston stop for clutch/flywheel removal, use a piece o' rope shoved into the plug hole instead (with the piston ABOVE the ports) to handle that task.

And while we're talking flywheel, and if ur working on Stihl saws, get the cool flywheel puller from the guys at treatland. It'll handle most sizes of Stihl flywheels for like 18 bux shipped. Here's the link for that thread -- http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=121271

As for a micrometer, which size and why? I'd go with an electronic caliper first unless I was measuring tolerances beyond .001's and not look back.

Did I mention a handy refrigerator full of beer also?

Poge

Last edited:
This is what I use for a T-27. It is a Snap on 3\8 drive long torx key. On my after market BB I have to cut some of the fins to make it reach but for everything else its great.
attachment.php

Is this a joke? You cut the fins on your $125 top end to use this tool?

Is this a joke? You cut the fins on your $125 top end to use this tool?

No it was a beat up BB that came on the saw that I plan on replacing anyway. Being as that it is kind of beat up I was going to use it to learn how to port anyway. So I wasnt to worried about it. If I had just bought the BB or get a oem jug there wont be any cutting.

3. A well filled wallet.

I second that. I also have to ad: an understanding girlfriend/wife who will understand why you always want to go down to the garage and why you always look at big tree's with a "odd" look on your face! :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back