Tools New drill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We all talk about saws, safety equipment, oils and the like.Well I am in need of a new drill. I would like to know what make, corded or cordless that others use, along with what you like or dislike.. I have my eye on a Milwaukee 2410 12 volt cordless 3/8 drive. My Home depot has this model. My old Black and Decker has seen better days also the cost for batteries now justifies the new drill. I do not need a 1/2 drive for the work that I do.Thanks, Ken

Not that this is saw related but I will tell you that I have had great success with Dewalt. I still use a 14.4 volt weekly that I bought in the fall of 1997.

Well, for professional use, I'd always say Hilti or Makita, but I do confess a secret lust for those big, red Milwaukees...

I wonder why?

My sister has one, and when she doesn't use it someone else always needs to borrow it. Talk about getting some use out of a tool!

Last edited:
I have a DeWalt 18V hammer drill. I am very glad I purchased this drill. The power is unreal and the battery life is great (Lithium Ion). The drill body is not really strong enough for the power of the drill however. It twists with the torque of the drill.

I would strongly suggest 18V over the 12V you mentioned, just for power. I would not get a hammer drill version unless you will be using it for masonry items. It is more expensive and makes the drill front heavy. However, the cordless hammers are absolutely worth those drawbacks if you are in concrete or bricks, etc.

This tool kit is the shizzy.....

334733_lg.jpg

:cheers:

Dewalts are the best IMO. I have used most brands and they are by far my favorite.

I have Dewalt, Hitachi, and Ridgid. They are all good, but Ridgid has a lifetime time warranty. That includes the batteries.

Just don't go cheep!

Just don't go cheep!

You do get what you pay for in this case!

What brands trickle charge after the battery is full if left on the charger?

I've heard great things about Dewalt! Although, the lifetime warranty on Riddge sounds tempting!

I think the word chainsaw needs to be mentioned in this thread to keep it here.

I run a Hitachi 18v Cordless and an 18v Rotary Hammer Hitachi. Although I've had a good run with them Hilti (as mentioned above) would be my pick for a cordless. Unfortunately they are as dear as poison.
If you want to use a cordless as a masonry drill just buy a rotary hammer one. Don't stuff around with the impact hammers. They'll send you deaf, toast bits in the hard stuff, burst your eardrums, and get you kicked off building sites. They also wear out quicker. If I had a dollar for every 18v Dewalt hammer drill I've seen with a flogged out main bearing and a wobbly chuck as a result I'd be rich (well I'd have about $8 :) )
It all depends how much you want to spend and how much grunt you need?

In my case my family has a curtain and window track business. The torque setting on my 18v Hitachi can not be set low enough in some timber framing with smaller screws. It will strip them right out. Which sucks...

Out of all the new fancy 18v Li-ion drills I still find the 15.6v Ni-MH Panasonics and Hiltis the best balanced drills I've ever used.

if you are looking for a drill to use on your bench, i would strongly suggest a corded drill. you don't have to worry about charging the batteries or the inevitable replacement down the road, which will run you about $50-75/pack. cordless drills are also bulkier and heavier, and you know we are all about weight!!!
that said, i bought a dewalt, 3-speed, 14.4v three years ago and like it very much. at the time it was the strongest 14.4v on the market. it was stronger than most of the 18v. the 3-speed tranny is nice bc it allows you to tailor your speed to your needs. the trigger is also very nice. on the down side, the batteries did not last any length of time. i had them rebuilt and all is well.
i am also impressed with the milwaukee tools. my brothers owns lots of them and every one of them has given great service, including his 14.4 drill.
i would definitely go with the Li batteries and read up on how to make the batteries last.

I would also go with the 18v. I happened to drop by a Lowes about 4 years ago while they were having a "yard sale" out in the parking lot. I found a Delta Shopmaster cordless kit that included a drill, circular saw, nailer, jig saw, flashlight, sander, charger and two 18V batteries that was marked down to $60 from $250. Needless to say, I bought both of the ones they had and gave one to my wife's stepfather for Christmas.

I ended up misplacing the drill and both batteries for a year. It turns out they were in a box in my enclosed trailer and when I pulled them up the batteries still had plenty of juice left.

Here is the deal. I got an Echo 2 stroke drill with reverse. No batteries no cords and it works where you need it to. I have everthing in the shop to run it and work on it if neeed be. Can't beat um.

I use a cheap Black & Decker 9.6V, but I didn't buy it, got it from my M&FIL when they moved into assisted living. It sat unused for several years, but the battery still charges & hold a charge.

My former neighbor used two different Hitachi cordless drills professionally, and he's picky about his income generating tools. One was fast with plenty of grunt, but drained the battery pretty quickly. The other was slow, but would run a long time between charges. I wish that I had noted the model #s.

the one kit thats lasted the logest with me is my ryobi kit it may not have all the guts as the Dewalt i had but it works i've dropped my ryobi impact two story's and watched it bounce and the funnest thing about that is it still worked, and my buddy did the same thing a week before with his Dewalt and it shattered!!

the one kit thats lasted the logest with me is my ryobi kit it may not have all the guts as the Dewalt i had but it works i've dropped my ryobi impact two story's and watched it bounce and the funnest thing about that is it still worked, and my buddy did the same thing a week before with his Dewalt and it shattered!!

not sure that proves anything other than you are luckier than your bud.

Latest posts

Back